Viper AGCAS saves a life

Started by Spam, September 14, 2016, 12:03:09 AM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NIN on September 16, 2016, 03:18:11 PM
Unless we can send in a legions of robot overlords to pacify the turf.  Cyberdyne systems, anybody?

Skynet never happened. It's Genisys now.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on September 16, 2016, 03:42:48 PM
Those of a "certain age"will never accept autonomous vehicles,

You can probably call that age mid-20s because I have a hard time seeing myself accept autonomous vehicles.

I'm sure they work great in the freshly-painted and pothole-free utopia of San Francisco, but I have a hard time imagining them working correctly on many of the roads around here. Not to mention the fact that I'm not interested in riding around in something barely bigger than I am. I like me some SUV and pickup truck.

Eclipse

Actually agro is one of the places autonomous vehicles are already in use and will make
some of the fastest inroads, since the risk to other vehicles and pedestrians is nearly zero and it's
private land so little regulaiton to worry about.

http://www.autonomoustractor.com/

This is two+ years ago, running an Android...

"That Others May Zoom"

Live2Learn

Quote from: PHall on September 16, 2016, 02:58:06 AM
... AI is still not...

Famous last words.  Regardless of the "costs", if our likely adversaries invest in autonomous combat systems (and they are) "cost" is not an issue.

Eclipse is correct.  The future is at hand.  And we ignore it or resist it at great peril.

So sad.  I know several former and a few current fighter pilots.  Tough love is in order.  Now, not later when it competes with regret.

Eclipse

Sorry Eclipse, but AI is still not the same level as the Mark 1, Mod 0 Human Brain.

No, it's much better.

The only thing human beings are better at doing in circumstances like these is making "moral" choices regarding
conflict in programming, and a lot of times they don't get it right either.  That's the philosophical argument right now in programming autonomous cars.
All things bring equal, who dies in a crash, you or the other guy?

I won't say "robots", because that conjures the wrong image, but sensor systems can see better, identify better,
process way more data and much faster then the human brain, and they aren't effected by fatigue or hunger or emotions,
just need juice.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Spam on September 16, 2016, 03:08:09 PMOther examples include auto carrier landing systems and automated AAR systems.

ACLS is used far less than one might imagine. Pilots, for the most part, do it better.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Guys, if current AI is so good then why are humans flying and controlling drones?
They use AI for the routine stuff like cruise flight, but you still have humans at the controls for take off and landing plus when they use the weapons and sensors.
That's a human finger on the trigger when they fire a Hellfire...

Luis R. Ramos

They have just taken out the fun of driving a tractor...

In 1973 I had the chance to spend about 2 and a half months at an uncle's dairy farm, in Orlando Florida. He had three tractors, and the biggest, a John Deere whose tires were as tall as me. This one was used to, among other things, press silage. For those of you not on the know, silage is one of the foods to be fed to cows.

This one was corn cobs and other corn plant products not fit or reaped for human consumption. They were dropped into the ground, and the Deere driven back and forth over it to press the entire thing down. After awhile it fermented, and during winter used as cow food.

Soon I was so bored going back and forth, back and forth, back and forth at slow speed. So I started driving over, out, then flooring the tractor and hitting the mound at high speed. Well, at least as fast as a tractor can go. As soon as it hit the silo, downshifting so it would get onto the silo otherwise it would stall.

But if someone does this nowadays, I will say it is on the verge of safety violations... Tractor overturning and so on...

It was as close as a motorcycle jumping into the air when running on a dirt track as a tractor can get...

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Spam

Quote from: Eclipse on September 16, 2016, 07:58:14 PM
Sorry Eclipse, but AI is still not the same level as the Mark 1, Mod 0 Human Brain.

No, it's much better.

Shaka, when the walls fell...

V/R
Spam

Live2Learn

Quote from: Spam on September 17, 2016, 09:35:41 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 16, 2016, 07:58:14 PM

No, it's much better.

Shaka, when the walls fell...

V/R
Spam

Nah, it's the admirals when a plane sank the first battleship...