Emergency Service Plans

Started by Danny1310, October 03, 2019, 07:02:37 PM

Danny1310

Greetings,

I am looking for plans. Specifically, A Group Operations Plan and a Group Training Plan.  I am a Group ESO and have been tasked with writing an ES plan before the end of the year. It doesn't have to be detailed towards Group, I am just interested in the plans themselves. I have an Idea about what I want in the way of the plans. I would like to see some ideas on what others have done in the way of either an operational plan or a training plan. So if you have access to any, I would certainly appreciate taking a look at them.

I have a large job before me in trying to get our group working towards the same goals. I will be scheduling some planning meeting at each of the squadrons to get an idea of what each squadrons needs are along with some thoughts of my own. As more of our missions are coming from DOD and FEMA one of the areas I wanted to focus on was FEMA's Point of Distribution Training. I have reached out to two of the counties within our group to identify their needs and have received positive responses from both. I would also like to have our squadrons look at giving classes on Emergency Preparedness to the Community. Not only does this give directions for our members it provides a benefit to the communities we serve. While I know we want to train for the SAR roles, their are so many volunteer organizations competing for those roles we see fewer and fewer responses. I am not suggesting we forget those jobs or the importance of them just looking for ways to make sure CAP stays active in the community and always has a role to play.

Any Ideas or comments are welcome.

Eclipse

You're already behind the curve as the FY started Tuesday, and your wing will have likely submitted their plans
or framework already.

Get the Wing's plan to insure you do not conflict for important resources.   Just because wing has an activity plan doesn't
necessarily preclude you from doing something at the group, however if your plane(s) or key people are gone, you
may not get much done.   Really, you should have already gotten a set of goals and mandates from your wing,
and if not, ask about them.  Groups cannot be effective separate from the wing's comprehensive program as
most of the resources, including people are shared, and they do not scale.

Chart out other major activities such as o-ride days, encampments, NESA, Air Venture, flight academies you
may run in your wing, etc.  You need to deconflict those as well.

Assuming you don't know already, you need to know how much money your group will have available for funding missions.

My suggestion is a feeder, with an expectation that each of your units has a extra-meeting training activity at least once a quarter,
being fed by their local training plans and then the capstone(s) should be the major wing SARExs and eval or GTE, etc.
Your Group should have one decent-sized mission-# exercise that focus' on your AOR and people, not those of other groups, etc.

Another thing, it's nearly impossible to "train" everyone at the same time, so for a given exercise you should decide
if it's the field or the ICP who is in "learn" mode.   When the base staff is literally learning, then the field should be A-teamers
who are already qualified and will respond to injects and taskings with nearly textbook paperwork and responses, so that
the ICS people can concentrate on learning their jobs without having to decipher 1-timer 109s.  The opposite is true is
you want a good field / air day, then the ICP should be your A-Team giving the field clear instructions and clean paperwork.

This reduces the "didn't launch a sortie until noon", or GT-1 drove in a circle for an hour because no one knew hoe to work the
L-Per (etc.). Everyone gets reps, but you're not wasting people's time.

All missions should have a white-cel that is NOT part of the ICS planning, especially if the ICP is in learn mode.
If the IC knows where >he< stashed the beacon, that's not much of a challenge. Likewise someone other then the
operators should be worried about lunches, etc.

For the units, consider 2-3 hour weekend mornings with effective plans that don't kill the rest of the day.
Accomplishing something  or getting a sign-off to make the day worth it is important, and it means your people have
to show up prepared.  That prep is a unit function, not group or wing.

Getting dates & venues on the calendar soon is crucial to the exercises, and then monthly reminders, at a minimum
are necessary.

If you treat the whole thing as a "roll up to a goal", with a pay-off at the end, people will engage, and it will attain it's own
momentum as word gets out things are getting done.  If it looks like a haphazard "meh, I'll throw my gear in the car and
see what we can accomplish when we get there" timewaster, they won't.

Your project managers should not be the wrench turners, and vice versa.

Also, don't fall into the "we can't do anything because we don't have SETs" trap from the units.
Anyone can show anyone else how to do a thing, or learn together, it's all in the curriculum,
you only need SETs at the end for evaluation.  In fact it's a best practice to not have the same
person teach as test.

My wing has done variations on the above for about 6 years since the framework was drafted
and implemented. We don't always hit every mark, but have received several annual ES awards from
Regions based on this.

Lastly, a "plan" has "goals, resources, and timelines" attached, drop any one of those three and
it's not a workable "plan", it's just an idea or a draft, and the 3 have to be realistic.
Anything that starts with "we will be the best blah, blah, blah..." is a mission statement
and useless as a "plan".

In regards to PODS, there's (at least) two issues that make that a "later" issue - first, CAP
doesn't offer or vet that training, it'll be a third-party providing it, likely one that expects
participation in return, and yo have no control over when it's offered. 

Second, you can't commit CAP resources without the involvement of your Wing DOS at a minimum,
and ultimately your Wing CC - at a minimum that requires coordination and planning on the conversations,
probably meetings, and whatever response agreements your land on.  If you start today that's likely a
3QFY20 goal at best.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Read up on HSEEP, or the Homeland Security Exercise and Evaluation Program.

Source docs:
https://preptoolkit.fema.gov/web/hseep-resources

Training:
Independent Study:
IS-120.c   An Introduction to Exercises
https://training.fema.gov/IS/courseOverview.aspx?code=IS-120.c
IS-130.a   How to be an Exercise Evaluator
https://training.fema.gov/IS/courseOverview.aspx?code=IS-130.a
IS-139.a   Exercise Design and Development - (3/1/2018)
https://training.fema.gov/IS/courseOverview.aspx?code=IS-139.a
Resident Courses/Instructor led online:
E/L/K/0146: HSEEP Course
https://training.fema.gov/programs/hseep/elk146hseepcourse/

These classes will prepare you for building a comprehensive plan. It has stacks of templates for everything from your situation manuals for events to your training and exercise calendar to your stakeholder meetings.

In terms of deconfliction, I beg of you to look up the cyberpatriot competition schedule in addition to your wing ES and PD training schedules. I say this as someone who jumped into CAP as a cyberpatriot mentor and coach who for 3 years missed out on PD and ES events of major importance for my milestones because I was busy on competitions weekends.

Eclipse

^ My only issue with this is that it's too micro for the ask.

The Group training plan isn't "where do we hide the ELT?", it's calendar and resource management
so that those involved with creating the scenarios and gameday plans have some place to play and
a team to field.

Ditto on Cyberpatriot, and really anything else which shares resources, not the least of which is people.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on October 03, 2019, 10:24:39 PM
^ My only issue with this is that it's too micro for the ask.

The Group training plan isn't "where do we hide the ELT?", it's calendar and resource management
so that those involved with creating the scenarios and gameday plans have some place to play and
a team to field.

Ditto on Cyberpatriot, and really anything else which shares resources, not the least of which is people.

Funny, I've normally heard that HSEEP is too macro for the task. It covers the multi-year training plan creation process in painstaking detail from the concept meetings with stakeholders to implementation.

Eclipse

I said maicro for the "ask", not the task.

These courses are largely exercise fundamentals, design, development, evaluation, etc.
That's white cell work, not program management.

The Group DOS, in his role as program manager shouldn't' be in the weeds about the scenarios,
his job is being the POC at the highest levels and putting people in place who then do the scenarios, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on October 03, 2019, 10:36:26 PM
I said macro for the "ask", not the task.

These courses are largely exercise fundamentals, design, development, evaluation, etc.
That's white cell work, not program management.

The Group DOS, in his role as program manager shouldn't' be in the weeds about the scenarios,
his job is being the POC at the highest levels and putting people in place who then do the scenarios, etc.

Actually, you said micro.

HSEEP covers the program management portion in great detail, but you need the details of the boots on ground portion to be able to better build that higher level plan.