CAP Pilot Professionalism

Started by etodd, May 06, 2018, 03:34:15 PM

NIN

Quote from: Live2Learn on May 09, 2018, 04:54:04 PM
Quote from: Fubar on May 07, 2018, 05:34:04 AM

Quote from: Civil Air PatrolA Civil Air Patrol Cessna 182 from the Kentucky Wing was involved in an incident at Clarksville Regional Airport in TN this afternoon.  The plane's single occupant, a CAP pilot, is being evaluated at a local hospital. The incident is under investigation.

Found an article about this, according to Lt Col Wilson Polidura, "a thunderstorm took control of the aircraft."

http://clarksvillenow.com/local/small-plane-crashes-at-clarksville-regional-airport/

The AIM offers some relevant advice here:

"7−1−29. Thunderstorm Flying
a. Thunderstorm Avoidance. Never regard any
thunderstorm lightly, even when radar echoes are of
light intensity. Avoiding thunderstorms is the best
policy. Following are some Do's and Don'ts of
thunderstorm avoidance:
1. Don't land or takeoff in the face of an
approaching thunderstorm.
A sudden gust front of
low level turbulence could cause loss of control."

Hopefully the accident report will be both informative AND discussed in CAP media.

It could have just been a sloppy quote by the reporter (I didn't see the gent on camera, so correct me if I'm wrong there).

Wouldn't be the first time that "There was an approaching thunderstorm and just as the aircraft touched down a strong gust of wind from an unexpected direction pushed the plane off the runway during roll out.." turned into "a thunderstorm took control of the plane.."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Live2Learn

Quote from: etodd on May 09, 2018, 06:47:12 PM
As much as I hate to say it, get rid of intra-squadron check rides, Form 5s and 91s.  Require it to be someone from another squadron. Another Wing would be better, but a logistical nightmare.

Might be worth considering.  Some of my BEST check rides were from out of WG check pilots.  Ditto for using a different (out of squadron) FRO at least every 3rd flight release (kinda like check rides).   

Cliff_Chambliss

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 09, 2018, 01:42:23 PM
What are the HATR reports, and how do I get them?

HATR:  Hazardous Air Traffic Report:  Not to sure how to get them.  We were a USAF Aero Club on Maxwell AFB and as a "tenant unit" were on the installation safety office distribution list.  The guidance for the program is AFMAN 91-223.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

mdickinson

Today the national Stan/Eval chief sent this email to all CAP pilots, announcing the "CAP Aviators Code of Conduct."

The email sends readers to "gocivilairpatrol.com" followed by several additional steps. For those who want to go directly to the relevat web page, the URL is https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/emergency-services/aircraft-operations/aircrew-professionalism/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, May 14, 2018 at 1:21 PM
Subject: Aircrew Professionalism

Dear Civil Air Patrol Pilot,

On 4 May 2018, General Smith announced the launch of CAP's Aircrew Professionalism Initiative. Phase One of this initiative is focused on the individual and begins with clear communication of the organization's expectations with respect to aircrew professionalism. To that end, Civil Air Patrol is establishing an Aviators Code of Conduct as a guide to the ethical and professional behavior of its pilots. We ask that all CAP Pilots read and familiarize themselves with this document. Although much of what you will find in "the code" may seem to be apparent, professional organizations often use ethical codes as a means of clarifying expectations and aligning both organizational and individual behavior with those expectations. We hope that the professional principles outlined in this document will serve those purposes for CAP.

Please visit www.gocivilairpatrol.com website under Programs > Emergency Services > Aircraft Operations > Aircrew Professionalism to download the Aviators Code of Conduct, explore recommended practices, and read Gen Smith's announcement. This webpage will be updated frequently as we progress through each phase of this important initiative.

Regards,

Kevin Conyers
Chief of Standardization & Evaluation
kconyers2@capnhq.gov

Eclipse

[nitpick]

It's an Aircrew Professionalism initive, yet only sent to Pilots.

[/nitpick]

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on May 14, 2018, 06:45:39 PM
[nitpick]

[/nitpick]

Additional nitpick...it wasn't sent to non-pilot commanders.  It's hard for commanders to hold members accountable for things that the commanders aren't aware of.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

Quote from: NC Hokie on May 14, 2018, 08:04:53 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 14, 2018, 06:45:39 PM
[nitpick]

[/nitpick]

Additional nitpick...it wasn't sent to non-pilot commanders.  It's hard for commanders to hold members accountable for things that the commanders aren't aware of.

That's been a peeve of mine for years - various lists, from NHQ on down, don't include CC's by default,
then HQ wants to hold the CC responsible for things they weren't' even aware of.

Really CC's should be included in anyting sent to the membership for any reason.

"That Others May Zoom"

Live2Learn

All four parts of the Aircrew Professionalism package are worth reading or viewing.  It's what we 'should be doing', nicely summarized.  As written it would make an outline for a fairly good pilot/aircrew clinic.  It could also be fodder for more than one Squadron 'safety ed' conversation.

etodd

Poorly formatted page.  Looks like CAP Aviators Code of Conduct and Explore Recommended Practices are one download. You have to click the titles separately.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Live2Learn

Quote from: Civil Air PatrolA Civil Air Patrol Cessna 182 from the Kentucky Wing was involved in an incident at Clarksville Regional Airport in TN this afternoon.  The plane's single occupant, a CAP pilot, is being evaluated at a local hospital. The incident is under investigation.

Maybe the larger lesson in this mishap is that when someone from CAP with silver oak leaves on the shoulder makes an off the cuff remark to any reporter CAP won't be presented in a very positive light.  Has anyone noticed that darn near every image used by NC and national media to describe this event prominently displays the CAP logo?  What's the message?  CAP makes excuses for amateurish pilots.  CAP pilots don't exercise good judgement - and may be poorly qualified.  CAP aircraft are dangerous.  Etc.  Another lesson for us to think hard about is WHO should talk with the media.  The pilot?  The local commander?  The unit PAO?  Wing PAO?  Whoever speaks - on or OFF the record - represents CAP.  Perhaps the unfortunate Col. P. (if qualified and authorized to speak) should have merely affirmed that the accident is under investigation by the NTSB and FAA.  And let it go there.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Live2Learn on May 16, 2018, 02:58:54 PM

Maybe the larger lesson in this mishap is that when someone from CAP with silver oak leaves on the shoulder makes an off the cuff remark to any reporter CAP won't be presented in a very positive light.  Has anyone noticed that darn near every image used by NC and national media to describe this event prominently displays the CAP logo?  What's the message?  CAP makes excuses for amateurish pilots.  CAP pilots don't exercise good judgement - and may be poorly qualified.  CAP aircraft are dangerous.  Etc.  Another lesson for us to think hard about is WHO should talk with the media.  The pilot?  The local commander?  The unit PAO?  Wing PAO?  Whoever speaks - on or OFF the record - represents CAP.  Perhaps the unfortunate Col. P. (if qualified and authorized to speak) should have merely affirmed that the accident is under investigation by the NTSB and FAA.  And let it go there.

Ive given lots of media advice as part of Crisis Management. Two great points: 1). Choose media spokesperson wisely - and don't be shy telling the boss "It's not you, not for this."  2). There are times to stand in front of the company logo to get it into the shot - and there are times to stand in front of a tree. Learn the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

GorillaGrodd13

I am going to have to take a S.W.A.G. at the news report. What are the chances that the reporter wanted to beat everyone to a story and arrived on scene just after the mishap and before the situation could be secured and stabilized, started asking questions even after they were asked to wait for a brief. Any time I have attended a brief in regards to Public Affairs and the news media it is made clear that many times the news media will try to get the message out that is briefed, they will do some less than desirable things in going after a story. All we can do is ask that they wait. We should steer away from telling them that the Flux Capacitor failed on the aircraft because they are not being patient enough. That will only cause them to become an adversary and not an asset.