Main Menu

Question about Marine one

Started by flyguy06, January 23, 2009, 02:42:53 PM

Pumbaa

The US 101 is over 60% American.  The Airframe is built in the UK.  It is being completed at the Lockheed facilities in Owego NY.  It uses 3 GE engines.  All missionization is US, inital testing is in MD and integration and completion is in Owego NY.

The US 101 is a joint effort with Lockheed Martin Systems Integration - Owego and AugustaWestland.

My office looks out over the US101 building on the Lockheed campus.  I get to see this baby fly quite a bit.  Hands down this is the best medium lift helo out there.  I also get to see the MH60R (and S) fly daily as well.  I park right near the helipad.

So it's time for the neighsayers to just get over it.  Lockheed had the best helo to fly the president in.  The design, price, and capabilities far outshines the competition.

Pumbaa

Some facts about the US101 weapons

Weapon systems include air-to-surface missiles, rockets and machine guns. A 12.7mm machine gun can be mounted in a chin turret and machine gun pintle mounts can be fitted in the doorway and in the rear ramp way.

The helicopter can be equipped with a range of sensors, weapons, electronic warfare and self protection systems according to the mission requirements. The defensive aids suite installed on the US101 includes laser and radar warning receivers and a Doppler radar missile approach warner, chaff and flare dispensers and infrared countermeasures.

For the VH-71A Marine One, the US101 will be fitted with Northrop Grumman DIRCM (directional infrared countermeasures) System and ITT AN/ALQ-211 SIRFC integrated radio frequency countermeasures suite.

Sensor systems include tactical surveillance and over-the-horizon targeting, search radar, weather radar and forward looking infrared.

bosshawk

I believe that the press reported that the aircraft that transported former President Bush to Texas used the call sign:" Special Air Mission Flight 28000", which happens to be the tail number assigned to the aircraft by the AF.

My first cousin was the Chief of Security for the presidential aircraft*87th Airlift Wing when Kennedy and Johnson were in office.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: alwaysreadyneverhere on January 23, 2009, 11:41:24 PM
To answer Flying Pig's trivia question...the Army was in charge of the helicopter transporting the President from 1957 to 1976. After that, the Marines took it over.

lordmonar: The photo was taken on the White House lawn right after President Nixon resigned as President.

The decision was made because President Carter thought he could get along with a smaller helicopter fleet, supposedly -- if I remember correctly. Yip, Army 1, it was.

I think you guys are a little off on your tail numbers, though. Nixon was on SAM 26000, pronounced "Sam," when Gerald Ford's oath was taken. And in the interest of accuracy, I'd bet that George W. Bush did not fly back to Texas with any other call sign but SAM 28000 (assuming he took the backup plane), especially since Executive 1 is reserved for the President when he's on a civilian bird.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Pumbaa

One of the other issues with the aircraft is the rotor downwash when landing on the whitehouse lawn.  This was one thing in the RFP.  A heavy lift such as what Boeing is offering in the CSAR-X would never do.

flyguy06

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 23, 2009, 03:51:33 PM
Its pretty awesome to see Marine 1 fly with the President on board.  When you see it on TV it llooks like its flying by itself.  When you see it in person, it is surrounded by several other helicopters and fighters flying overhead.  Obviously not the case on the 20th because Bush was no longer President.  When I used to spend my weekends in DC it was something I really enjoyed seeing.  As well as seeing the Marine White House Guards.  

The Marines Guard the President, The Army guards the cemetery. >:D  Sorry Stonewall....I couldnt resist.

in 2004, I worked the G-8 summit with my National Guard unit. We saw Marine one fly overhead. there was another helicopeter that looked just like it rightbehind. i was told they do that so people wont know which one the President is actually on

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 25, 2009, 05:02:21 PM
Its pretty awesome to see Marine 1 fly with the President on board.  When you see it on TV it llooks like its flying by itself.  When you see it in person, it is surrounded by several other helicopters and fighters flying overhead.  Obviously not the case on the 20th because Bush was no longer President.  When I used to spend my weekends in DC it was something I really enjoyed seeing.  As well as seeing the Marine White House Guards.  

The Marines Guard the President, The Army guards the cemetery. >:D  Sorry Stonewall....I couldnt resist.

in 2004, I worked the G-8 summit with my National Guard unit. We saw Marine one fly overhead. there was another helicopeter that looked just like it rightbehind. i was told they do that so people wont know which one the President is actually on

I was at that G-8 Summit too, but I was on the protection detail for one of the attendees.

I lived in DC for almost 15 years and saw what appeared to be Marine One on a daily basis.  Seriously, the same helicopter would fly up and down the Potomac River all the time, among other official helos (UH-1s, UH-60s, CH-46s and of course a V-22 on occasion). 

And FP, the Marines don't guard the President, the Secret Service does.  The Marines open doors, stand by gates and look pretty for photos.  And contract security guards provide access control to Arlington National Cemetery; the Army protects the Tomb of the Unknowns...  So bite me   :-*
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

While looking at the National Geographic Channels website about a show tonight on Air Force One, they have a link to Marine One.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/on-board/3654/Overview#tab-Videos/06277_00
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

Quote from: Stonewall on January 25, 2009, 05:24:34 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on January 25, 2009, 05:02:21 PM

I was at that G-8 Summit too, but I was on the protection detail for one of the attendees.

I lived in DC for almost 15 years and saw what appeared to be Marine One on a daily basis.  Seriously, the same helicopter would fly up and down the Potomac River all the time, among other official helos (UH-1s, UH-60s, CH-46s and of course a V-22 on occasion). 

And FP, the Marines don't guard the President, the Secret Service does.  The Marines open doors, stand by gates and look pretty for photos.  And contract security guards provide access control to Arlington National Cemetery; the Army protects the Tomb of the Unknowns...  So bite me   :-*

Have you ever been to Camp David?  Marines provide the security of Camp David and patrol.....with GUNS! :clap:  And by the way.....someone has to look good in uniform.

O-Rex

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 24, 2009, 12:40:40 AM
We have a WINNER :clap:  Back when it was "Army One".   That just makes me shudder to even type it! >:D

I forgot about that!  I now remember that Eisenhower's (and early Kennedy;s) H-34 is on display at the Army Aviation Museum at Ft. Rucker.

I imagine that the current (or at least one of the current) H-3's still flying is from the Kennedy era (?)  I remember that the Air Force One 707 that transported JFK's remains and that LBJ took the oath in was in service until replaced with the 747 in the early 90's.

Considering the maintenance those babies get, they could keep 'em flying forever.

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 25, 2009, 10:46:23 PM
Have you ever been to Camp David?  Marines provide the security of Camp David and patrol.....with GUNS! :clap:  And by the way.....someone has to look good in uniform.

Isn't that the reason CAP had the TPU to begin with?

(Now opening umbrella to dodge tomatoes, but at least I mentioned CAP...)

;D

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

O-Rex

Quote from: Pumbaa on January 24, 2009, 01:59:47 AM
Some facts about the US101 weapons

Weapon systems include air-to-surface missiles, rockets and machine guns. A 12.7mm machine gun can be mounted in a chin turret and machine gun pintle mounts can be fitted in the doorway and in the rear ramp way.

The helicopter can be equipped with a range of sensors, weapons, electronic warfare and self protection systems according to the mission requirements. The defensive aids suite installed on the US101 includes laser and radar warning receivers and a Doppler radar missile approach warner, chaff and flare dispensers and infrared countermeasures.

For the VH-71A Marine One, the US101 will be fitted with Northrop Grumman DIRCM (directional infrared countermeasures) System and ITT AN/ALQ-211 SIRFC integrated radio frequency countermeasures suite.

Sensor systems include tactical surveillance and over-the-horizon targeting, search radar, weather radar and forward looking infrared.

Pumbaa:  that's a lot of info.  Beware the black vans, REAL ones

>:D