Main Menu

Question about Marine one

Started by flyguy06, January 23, 2009, 02:42:53 PM

flyguy06

While I was at the Inauguration as we were leaving, we saw the Presidents Helicopter fly overhead. But it was Bush. He was going to the Airport to get on Air Force 1 to go back to Midland TX, Since he wasnt the Pres at the time it wasnt called Air Force one, it was called Special Air Mission. So, what was he helicopter called?

Eclipse

Its call sign was "Executive One" while transporting the recently former President Bush.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Called a friend at HMX-1 but he didn't answer.

This from Wikipedia...

Executive One is the call sign designated for any United States civilian aircraft when the President of the United States is on board. Typically, the President flies in military aircraft that are under the command of the Presidential Airlift Group, part of Air Mobility Command's 89th Airlift Wing, based at Andrews Air Force Base in Suitland, Maryland. In 1973, to "set an example for the rest of the nation during the current energy crisis" and to "demonstrate his confidence in the airlines", then-President Richard Nixon became the only sitting president to travel on a regularly scheduled commercial airline flight when he flew on a United Airlines DC-10 from Washington Dulles International Airport to Los Angeles International Airport.  That flight did use the Executive One callsign. Additionally, Air Force One flew behind the flight in case of an emergency.

If the president's family members are aboard, but not the president himself, the flight can optionally use the callsign Executive One Foxtrot. Similarly, Executive Two Foxtrot can be used for flights carrying family members of the Vice President.

On January 20, 2009, the military helicopter that is normally designated as "Marine One" was given the call sign "Executive One" when it took on George W. Bush, whose term as president had just expired.
Serving since 1987.

davidsinn

Quote from: Stonewall on January 23, 2009, 03:07:43 PM
Called a friend at HMX-1 but he didn't answer.

This from Wikipedia...

On January 20, 2009, the military helicopter that is normally designated as "Marine One" was given the call sign "Executive One" when it took on George W. Bush, whose term as president had just expired.

That was stated by one of the major news outlets so I'm not sure if it's accurate or not.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

O-Rex

There was a similar situation when Nixon resigned in 1974, but he was on Air Fore One while Gerald Ford was taking the oath.  They took off as Air Force One, and landed with another callsign.

Flying Pig

Its pretty awesome to see Marine 1 fly with the President on board.  When you see it on TV it llooks like its flying by itself.  When you see it in person, it is surrounded by several other helicopters and fighters flying overhead.  Obviously not the case on the 20th because Bush was no longer President.  When I used to spend my weekends in DC it was something I really enjoyed seeing.  As well as seeing the Marine White House Guards.  

The Marines Guard the President, The Army guards the cemetery. >:D  Sorry Stonewall....I couldnt resist.

O-Rex

I had the privilege of seeing 'Marine One' fairly close-up, it's pretty sweet.

It also has protrusions, blisters and attached boxes that other Blackhawks don't have.

Heaven only knows what gizmos abide there....

Flying Pig

Quote from: O-Rex on January 23, 2009, 03:58:28 PM
I had the privilege of seeing 'Marine One' fairly close-up, it's pretty sweet.

It also has protrusions, blisters and attached boxes that other Blackhawks don't have.

Heaven only knows what gizmos abide there....

But Marine One isnt a Blackhawk...... ::) ;D  Its an H-3 Sea King.

O-Rex

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 23, 2009, 03:51:33 PM
Its pretty awesome to see Marine 1 fly with the President on board.  When you see it on TV it llooks like its flying by itself.  When you see it in person, it is surrounded by several other helicopters and fighters flying overhead.  Obviously not the case on the 20th because Bush was no longer President.  When I used to spend my weekends in DC it was something I really enjoyed seeing.  As well as seeing the Marine White House Guards.  

The Marines Guard the President, The Army guards the cemetery. >:D  Sorry Stonewall....I couldnt resist.

I remembered that Clint Eastwood movie about Secret Service Agents, when they were jogging alongside the Presidential Limo.

So when they president flies, I always wondered if they...um...never mind.

Sorry FP, your jovial mood is infectious  ;)

Also, They do use a UH-60 variant to fly the big-guy around, but I thought HMX-1 totally got rid of the SH-3's (and were among the last to do so)

?

Flying Pig

They do fly the VH-60.  However, the President rarely flies in it.  It generally flies his staff and aides around.  Interesting trivia....The HMX-1 Squadron is the only unit in the Marines who use the Blackhawk.  The H-3 Sea King is now only used by HMX-1 and over the next few years will be replaced by the US101..which...unfortunately is not an American made helicopter. :'(   This will complete the decommissioning of the H3 from military service.  The US101 is actually the AugustaWestland EH 101 Merlin (AW101) which is made jointly by Italy and the UK.

US101

O-Rex

Looks nice, and very comparable to the SH-3

My only question is: the way things are going, when will we start seeing the Presidential Mercedes??  :o

Flying Pig

Im thinking a Ferrari or Lamborghini since Italy is involved!  If we are going to start a tradition, lets do it right.

Trung Si Ma

And the Army has never had to question the honor, integrity, patriotism, or service of those that they guard.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Always Ready

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on January 23, 2009, 06:52:17 PM

And the Army has never had to question the honor, integrity, patriotism, or service of those that they guard.

So they didn't question Nixon's honor, etc. etc. etc.?  >:D

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: O-Rex on January 23, 2009, 03:51:12 PM
There was a similar situation when Nixon resigned in 1974, but he was on Air Fore One while Gerald Ford was taking the oath.  They took off as Air Force One, and landed with another callsign.

Yup... it was Air Force One until noon EDT, then SAM 27000 from that point forward. At the precise moment of the oath Air Force One/SAM 27000 was somewhere near Kansas City.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Flying Pig

Quote from: alwaysreadyneverhere on January 23, 2009, 07:27:13 PM
Quote from: Trung Si Ma on January 23, 2009, 06:52:17 PM

So they didn't question Nixon's honor, etc. etc. etc.?  >:D

Trivia......Why is there a Soldier at the stairs and not a Marine?  Anyone? Anyone?

lordmonar

Was that photo take at Camp David?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Flying Pig

No.  But the Marines Guard Camp David.

Always Ready

To answer Flying Pig's trivia question...the Army was in charge of the helicopter transporting the President from 1957 to 1976. After that, the Marines took it over.

lordmonar: The photo was taken on the White House lawn right after President Nixon resigned as President.

Flying Pig

We have a WINNER :clap:  Back when it was "Army One".   That just makes me shudder to even type it! >:D