Model Rocketry Launch Locations

Started by Always Ready, January 14, 2009, 01:15:51 AM

Always Ready

I'm starting up a model rocketry program at my squadron. I have a few ideas for locations (schools, parks, etc.), but on a recent visit to one of the locations I noticed that there are a lot of low-level flights by helos and fixed wing aircraft. So obviously that location is out.

Just curious, where does everyone normally perform their model rocket launches?

ascorbate

I have been flying model rockets since I was a teenager and I'd like to suggest that you don't need that large of a launch area unless it's really windy on launch day... then anything goes!

The Model Rocket Safety Code outlined on page 29 of the the Civil Air Patrol Model Rocketry guide (http://level2.cap.gov/index.cfm?nodeID=5769) describes the area of the launch site depending upon the size of the rocket motor installed in the model rocket(s) for flight.  Generally, something the size of a football field is much more than adequate.

Besides flying them comfortably on half of my six acres, I have successfully launched and recovered model rockets at the local high school's outdoor running track and the baseball playing fields at a local corporation.

Our squadron recently concluded a model rocketry program as noted at:
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/news/cap_news_online/index.cfm/md_cadets_successfully_launch_rockets_4986
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

ThorntonOL

One time we had a launch at a park nearby my granparent's house, it was an open field but if you went through the woods a little way you would walk from the park right into their driveway.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

Always Ready

Quote from: ascorbate on January 14, 2009, 02:30:56 AM
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/news/cap_news_online/index.cfm/md_cadets_successfully_launch_rockets_4986

Very nice job on that. Did you notice any potential hiccups with that type of schedule? I was thinking about doing the classroom portion, test, and launch for at least one stage on one Saturday and spread out the three stages over a year. That way the cadets who want to participate can and the ones who don't just don't show up. How many complete stages (from classroom portion to test to launch) could you go through in say 8 hours?

*Edited to make questions more clear*

stratoflyer

I going to risk looking dumb here but am I to understand that I could launch rockets at local beach?
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Sleepwalker

We went to a local High School field (our building is at the airport, so that was out) on a separate Saturday to do all the launches.  A note of advisement it to use either streamer recovery or cut a large hole in the center of the parachute so that the rockets come (relativly) straight down.  This worked well, as there are many trees around our area.     
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

addo1

I just finished my program on Sunday. I use an old POW camp down the road that is just acres of field after field... very open and good spot to shoot them...
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

ascorbate

Quote from: alwaysreadyneverhere on January 14, 2009, 03:52:48 AM
Quote from: ascorbate on January 14, 2009, 02:30:56 AM

Very nice job on that. Did you notice any potential hiccups with that type of schedule? I was thinking about doing the classroom portion, test, and launch for at least one stage on one Saturday and spread out the three stages over a year. That way the cadets who want to participate can and the ones who don't just don't show up. How many complete stages (from classroom portion to test to launch) could you go through in say 8 hours?

Phase I (hands-on building of junk rockets) was done in the AE class during one of our regularly scheduled meeting nights. Instead of cadets building two of the four outlined junk rockets, I limited their choices (because of time and resources) to the toilet paper cylinder rocket and the foam Goddard rocket.

Phase II (hands on building of a single stage rocket) was done in another AE class during one of our regularly scheduled meeting nights the following month. I chose for all cadets to build the same single stage rocket (as they were all on the same page for each part of the model rocket build from start to finish) and I refer to a previous post:

Another potential source of model rockets if funds are a limiting factor is Pratt Hobbies. They sell a couple of different bulk educator packs (called Baker's Dozen) of both single and dual stage rockets for a very reasonable price per rocket. These kits feature pre-cut balsa fins, a fire-proof cloth heatshield and an Aramid shock cord unlike anything I've ever seen. FYI: Be sure to give them a couple of weeks notice if you need your model rockets by a certain date!

http://www.pratthobbies.com/products.asp?cat=8

Phase III (hands-on building of a dual stage rocket) was done on a Saturday morning at the local squadron. Again, I chose for all cadets to build the same dual stage rocket (as they were all on the same page for each part of the model rocket build from start to finish) and I refer to the aformentioned post on bulk educator packs.

Bottom Line: PLAN, PLAN, PLAN... the course instructor should build any rockets in advance of giving a class as this will help you foresee potential pitfalls and problems that your class attendees might encounter. Also, for the single stage rocket, I prepared a two page handout to insure that the participants had a written reference to refer too. If you email me privately, I will (by return email) forward a copy of this two page handout!

A few days before launch, we covered the Model Rocketry Safety Code as part of a monthly squadron safety class during one of our regularly scheduled meeting nights.

Regarding written exams, I photocopied the necessary 4 pages (Redstone), 5 pages (Titan) and 8 pages (Saturn) of the study materials and passed out reading packets to each of the participants for perusal. During a regular testing night held each month at the squadron, cadets were allowed to take the 10 question multiple choice exams for each of the three phases of the program. I did have some cadets who struggled with passing the tests but this is an excellent opportunity to discuss study techniques and test taking strategies.

The entire program (hands-on and written exams) took about 3 months to complete. I don't think I would spread this course out over a longer period as cadets will lose interest! The winter months are ideal for gearing-up the program (eg. gathering materials, ordering model rockets & engines and ordering the model rocket exams from CAP NHQ).

Good Luck and let the rest of us know of any further questions. Be sure to take the time at the end to write up a press release for publication on your wing website. When I achieved my CAP Model Rocketry badge about 30 years ago, no one from my squadron wrote it up. Trust me, cadets may not think much about a press release today but a few years down the road, they will thank you for taking the time to document their youthful activities in CAP.

BTW: The use of streamers and the idea of a hole in the parachute (which is new to me) along with launching model rockets into the wind will help to insure the recovery of your launched rockets especially on a windy day.

ascorbate

Quote from: stratoflyer on January 14, 2009, 05:51:40 AM
I going to risk looking dumb here but am I to understand that I could launch rockets at local beach?

I think a lonely beach would be a very ideal place for launching model rockets as long as one doesn't launch rockets from a heavily traveled beach boardwalk. Remember SAFETY!

jimmydeanno

Quote from: ascorbate on January 14, 2009, 02:32:15 PM
Quote from: stratoflyer on January 14, 2009, 05:51:40 AM

I think a lonely beach would be a very ideal place for launching model rockets as long as one doesn't launch rockets from a heavily traveled beach boardwalk. Remember SAFETY!

Also think environmental responsibility.  Loosing rockets out over the water which become unrecoverable isn't going to present CAP in a positive light. Cleaning up after yourself become more difficult if SCUBA is required...  ;)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SilverEagle2

Where are you located. I could see what NAR or Tripoli Prefect is in the area and point you to their locations.

That would be your best bet since they are launching rockets that require waivers from the FAA to launch. Their sites would be more than adequate for any rockets you and your cadets would be flying.

I belong to UROC here in Utah. It's a blast!  >:D
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Always Ready

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on January 14, 2009, 03:13:57 PM
Where are you located. I could see what NAR or Tripoli Prefect is in the area and point you to their locations.

That would be your best bet since they are launching rockets that require waivers from the FAA to launch. Their sites would be more than adequate for any rockets you and your cadets would be flying.

I belong to UROC here in Utah. It's a blast!  >:D

Fredericksburg, VA

Thanks, I've already looked them up. I'm sending an e-mail to some of the local groups to get any local info they have, advice, and to see if they can help us out.

SilverEagle2

Good luck and be safe. My next project is a large 14 foot, 6 in diam M motor Level 3. Mach 1+ and 14K feet. All built in my workshop.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

DC

We launch at our local Model Aircraft airfield. There is a very large cleared area over by the runway that we can use if there aren't any of the R/C planes flying. If there is there is an area about half as large that is adjacent to that field that is still plenty large enough.