Main Menu

Model Rocketry

Started by DC, July 28, 2008, 07:18:03 PM

DC

I thought the program required commercially made rockets..

Building them from around the house type stuff is cool though, I once saw someone that flew a rocket made out of a tube from a roll of paper towels, and cardboard, with a wal-mart bag chute. Only flew once, but it was cool...

ThorntonOL

Just checked last night with the TCO and found out my unit doesn't have the Rocketry Tests, could someone PM me and let me know what we are suppose to put in for the request number/ Title?
thanks.
(Have to tell TCO what goes there as we haven't really had to order any blank forms or tests for a while.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

ßτε

Quote from: ThorntonOL on August 01, 2008, 02:07:00 PM
Just checked last night with the TCO and found out my unit doesn't have the Rocketry Tests, could someone PM me and let me know what we are suppose to put in for the request number/ Title?
thanks.
(Have to tell TCO what goes there as we haven't really had to order any blank forms or tests for a while.

Quote from: CAP INDEX 0-9 1 APRIL 2008
T50           Oct 03             Model Rocketry Program Written Examinations with Answer Keys                R50-20
                                       (Requisition from AE)
(http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_100103113129.pdf)

helper

Quote from: DC on August 01, 2008, 01:39:48 PM
I thought the program required commercially made rockets..

Yes, cadets MAY use a commercial kit (emphasis mine) and many do especially for the scale rocket. I started looking at alternatives when I added up the cost of three solid fueled rockets. Many of my cadets could not afford them. I don't have written directions but could build and photograph at each step if there is interest.
Mitchell (pre-number) & Earhart (2144)

DC

Okay, another question..

An idea to cut back costs was suggested to me, have the cadets work on the rockets in teams. Can multiple cadets work on the same rocket, launch it together, and all recieve credit for it?

helper

I just checked the CAP Model Rocketry guide. It states that  "The cadet is required to build ..." and also in the same thought "The cadet is required to pass an examination ...". So I assume that means that each must build their own rocket. But in my opinion that's the fun part.

All the manuals are at: http://www.cap.gov/visitors/members/aerospace_education/activities/model_rocketry/

There is a program called "Team Rocketry Challenge" where they are intended to work together. 
Mitchell (pre-number) & Earhart (2144)

DC

Quote from: helper on August 07, 2008, 03:29:37 AM
I just checked the CAP Model Rocketry guide. It states that  "The cadet is required to build ..." and also in the same thought "The cadet is required to pass an examination ...". So I assume that means that each must build their own rocket. But in my opinion that's the fun part.

All the manuals are at: http://www.cap.gov/visitors/members/aerospace_education/activities/model_rocketry/

There is a program called "Team Rocketry Challenge" where they are intended to work together. 
Thanks, but I've already got the textbook and CAPR 50-20...

The reg and book don't say definatively, but each cadet building their own would be my thinking as well. Someone suggested it to me, and said they knew people that had done it, so I was just checking...

ThorntonOL

bte, thanks for the info. looked through the regs but missed that entirely, now just have to get it ordered.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

ascorbate

Another potential source of model rockets if funds are a limiting factor is Pratt Hobbies. They sell a couple of different bulk educator packs (called Baker's Dozen) of both single and dual stage rockets for a very reasonable price per rocket. These kits feature pre-cut balsa fins, a fire-proof cloth heatshield and an Aramid shock cord unlike anything I've ever seen. FYI: Be sure to give them a couple of weeks notice if you need your model rockets by a certain date!

http://www.pratthobbies.com/products.asp?cat=8
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

ascorbate

Quote from: bte on August 02, 2008, 01:16:33 AM
T50           Oct 03             Model Rocketry Program Written Examinations with Answer Keys                R50-20
                                       (Requisition from AE)

Does the Squadron Testing Officer have to order these model rocketry exams or could I, as Squadron AE Officer, order these exams? If so, how?
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

SarDragon

Quote from: ascorbate on November 21, 2008, 10:21:39 PM
Quote from: bte on August 02, 2008, 01:16:33 AM
                                       (Requisition from AE)

Does the Squadron Testing Officer have to order these model rocketry exams or could I, as Squadron AE Officer, order these exams? If so, how?

Quote from: CAPR 50-20, para 3aThe examination for the written portion of each stage of the program consists of a ten-question test. These tests are available from Civil Air Patrol, National Headquarters, Aerospace Education (NHQ CAP/LMA), and must be safeguarded in accordance with CAPR 50-4, Test Administration and Security.

Seeing that, I would have the Testing Officer acquire and manage them.

It's not on the online Form 8, so it will need an email to the folks at LMA. The NHQ phonebook is on eServices.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Rob Sherlin

It's a great experience to build and fly one from scratch. But, the kits are fun to....Which leads me to this question...

Has anyone here tried the rockets with the cameras in them? How was it? Did the photo come out? How clear was it? etc.....
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

DC

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on November 24, 2008, 01:47:38 AM
It's a great experience to build and fly one from scratch. But, the kits are fun to....Which leads me to this question...

Has anyone here tried the rockets with the cameras in them? How was it? Did the photo come out? How clear was it? etc.....
I used to have one of the old "Astrocam" rockets from Estes, and I never got a decent shot from it. However, the new ones that have digital video cameras and things like that in them seem to be somewhat decent.

Here is video from an Oracle launch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZqAVZ3sRfg&NR=1

I'm not completely sure, but I think these can aslo take still shots if you want.

Rob Sherlin

Thanks for the video link! It looked pretty good. I got some other leads through that viewing that led me to see other camera mounts (the problem with most of them is you only see the launch (which a lot of rockets spin way too much on the way up), then you only see the chute on the way down).
  Then I got into watching the "Big Boys", which require qualifications to use that grade of engine........AWESOME!!!!!!
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116