Main Menu

Sci-Fi Airshow

Started by Eclipse, July 13, 2010, 03:39:09 PM

Eclipse

Amazing work, but frankly it made me a little sad.

As a child of the space age, I fully expected these types of crafts to be commonplace by the time I was old enough
to fly in them.  Now it is likely nothing even close to this will exist in my lifetime, and probably not even that of my kids.

Cool, though.

http://www.scifiairshow.com/index.html

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Always thought that ship was pretty neat.  I wonder why that show is never on in re-runs?  I seem to recall it being pretty good, but then again I was proably also watching Captain Kangaroo at the time.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on July 13, 2010, 03:39:09 PM
Amazing work, but frankly it made me a little sad.

For you it is sad because you were promised those and flying cars, but all you got was Windows Vista and the iPhone.

For me it's said because even though I find most pre-1990 shows very unrealistic, it proves that we are way off mark from what people 50 years ago were dreaming about.

Most of my favorite books say that we'll be on Mars in 10 years, if not there already...too bad I may never see it...

Eclipse

Space: 1999 could have been a reality had we had the will, other than the energy weapons, most of the other tech from that show
isn't really all that far-fetched.  A moon base with a significant population 30 years after the first landing would have made a lot of sense back then (still does now).

Same for for the flying subs, something we could probably build today if we felt like it.

BSG, of course, really did take place thousands of years ago, and it will again, that's a given.

As to Mars in 10 years, probably not.

"That Others May Zoom"

FlyTiger77

BSG?

Disregard. I am the slow kid in the class today.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on July 13, 2010, 05:48:04 PM
BSG?

Disregard. I am the slow kid in the class today.

It's ok, not everyone is a geek.

Personally, the 2004 version blows the old one out of the sky (space?). But that's me being born in 1990, and finding it hard to live with pre-computer graphics.

davidsinn

Reminds me of a radio exchange I heard once. I don't remember who the other person was but I distinctly remember the one that used the...unique terminology.

Caller: Encampment commander this is [callsign]

Enc/CC: This is actual go ahead.

True geeks will get it. Props if you can name the person that did it ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

QuoteActual
From Battlestar Wiki, the free, open content Battlestar Galactica encyclopedia and episode guide
Jump to: navigation, search

"Actual" is the wireless callsign for the commanding officer, borrowed from the real-world communications term for the officer-in-charge (e.g. the commander of a military vessel, task force or unit).

It is used to distinguish the commanding officer from other personnel who may use the communications channel without resorting to a code name or other identification, and is frequently used when sensitive information needs to be communicated directly to the officer-in-charge or when a direct and urgent order must be rendered.

Example: A pilot from battlestar Pacifica, callsign "Joker", is ordered to engage a target.

Pacifica: Joker, Pacifica. Engage the unidentified craft, weapons free.
    Pilot: Pacifica, Joker. Confirm.
    Pacifica: Joker, Pacifica Actual. Execute the order.

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Actual

Майор Хаткевич

MIKE

Mike Johnston

boomshtick

[smg id=237]  shiny nazi!!!  >:D

:}+< <this is ed. Say hi to ed.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MIKE on July 13, 2010, 11:58:15 PM
^It's EDI ! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382992/

That was my first thought, but EDI had AI, this is more like the Battle School Game in Ender's Game...except more like a Predator.

disamuel

Boy, you have no idea how long I was stumped over the "actual" call sign. I hope I never slip and use it on one of our repeaters!  ;D

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

I clearly remember in 07 we hatched a plan with some SMs to order nametapes with Star Track names. Mine was Chekov, for obvious reasons...

Guess what Eclipse got as Enc CC? :)

Also, I wonder where the pictures went...I never did see any.

davidsinn

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on July 14, 2010, 01:14:29 AM
I clearly remember in 07 we hatched a plan with some SMs to order nametapes with Star Track names. Mine was Chekov, for obvious reasons...

I'm gonna guess Kirk. He seems more like a Picard guy to me though.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

That was the year we were on the Enterprise.

I still have my name tape in a treasured place as part of my encampment "go kit".

"That Others May Zoom"

davedove

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on July 14, 2010, 01:14:29 AM

I hate to nitpick, but it's "Star Trek" as in a trek, or journey, through the stars.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

a2capt

http://tinyurl.com/CylonBase - now if they work these buildings in ...