Main Menu

Cadet AEex Questions

Started by Krapenhoeffer, July 02, 2010, 03:28:29 AM

Krapenhoeffer

So, my squadron's AEO suggested an idea to me (the ITO), and I'm tempted to run with it.

The idea started with having a few computers hooked up during a weekend for a Combat Flight Simulator LAN not-party cadet activity.

And then I turned to my poor, underused server... And came up with an idea. A wing wide Combat Flight Simulator cadet tournament.

I told the AEO my idea, and he sort of had an evil grin show up on his face.

I have a bizarre hobby of throwing stress tests on all of my poor computers, so I know the server is up to the task.

Thoughts, suggestions, emotional outbursts?
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

Cobra1597

I like it, especially if you can use it to do some actual instruction with or without the cadets noticing as much.

• Intentionally have them using historical models, like F4U Corsairs, F4F Wildcats, P-40 Warhawks, F-86 Sabres, F-101 Voodoo Fighters, etc.
  • Stack them against foreign models, like FW 190s, Bf 109s, MiG 19s, etc.
  • Put them in specific historical scenarios, like having them re-enact Operation Bolo
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

Ozzy

Hey, what Wing? I'd love to get a person or two to come =]
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

coudano

High Speed Low Drag

I wish I had known about it - I would have publicized it to my cadets.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

coudano

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on July 05, 2010, 02:01:45 PM
I wish I had known about it - I would have publicized it to my cadets.

it was plastered here and at cadetstuff
and emailed to all ncsa applicants :)

Heads  up for June 2011!!!

Krapenhoeffer

I have never heard about VFWS, and I went to something considered a NCSA (although it isn't listed anymore as a NCSA) this summer. Will look into it.

@Ozzy, I'll PM you. I'm very paranoid about revealing where exactly I live publicly.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

HGjunkie

Looked like some of the participants were wearing flight suits. ??
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

coudano

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 06, 2010, 02:53:43 AM

all of them, infact.

HGjunkie

Quote from: coudano on July 06, 2010, 05:57:18 AM

all of them, infact.
Did they get to keep them?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

coudano

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 06, 2010, 07:53:13 AM
Quote from: coudano on July 06, 2010, 05:57:18 AM

all of them, infact.
Did they get to keep them?

uh,
those who brought their own, took them home
those who borrowed mine gave them back at the end

Bluelakes 13

Wait -

the application says "Posess a full set of BDU's and Blues" but the cadets wore flight suits?  If I were a commander signing the CAPF31, I'd have a few poignant conversations with my cadets...

tsrup

Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on July 06, 2010, 05:33:08 PM
Wait -

the application says "Posess a full set of BDU's and Blues" but the cadets wore flight suits?  If I were a commander signing the CAPF31, I'd have a few poignant conversations with my cadets...

Why? 
Paramedic
hang-around.

Eclipse

This idea has potential, but you'd have to sell me on how the CFS ties into AE beyond the fact that it involves airplanes.

A more appropriate situation would be using Flight Simulator with one of the many ATC add-ons and hold an Osh Kosh-like fly-in, including all the air control, marshaling and related tasks needed.

You could also do aerial missions like photo runs and ELT searches, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on July 06, 2010, 05:33:08 PM
Wait -

They don't ONLY wear flight suits... nor do they wear the flight suit 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  sheesh.  The cadet is not required to go buy a flight suit, and I do not recommend that they do so.  I have a pile that I loan from.

Quote from: Eclipse on July 06, 2010, 06:08:18 PM
This idea has potential, but you'd have to sell me on how the CFS ties into AE beyond the fact that it involves airplanes.

A more appropriate situation would be using Flight Simulator with one of the many ATC add-ons and hold an Osh Kosh-like fly-in, including all the air control, marshaling and related tasks needed.

You could also do aerial missions like photo runs and ELT searches, etc.

Yah but that would kind of suck...
Those things kind of suck in real life, let alone in a video game.

VFWS isn't just about flying the simulated f-16 combat system (which *is* fun), nor even really just about aerospace education (though we dump more aerospace on a cadet in 5 days than most/all of them have had cumulatively up to that point in their life).  it's about resource management (prioritization and multitasking), shortening/speeding decision cycle, and situational/spatial awareness.  Those things make sharper people going forward into *any* endeavor, not necessarily military aviation.  not necessarily aviation at all.

Eclipse

Quote from: coudano on July 06, 2010, 06:12:34 PM

VFWS isn't just about flying the simulated f-16 combat system (which *is* fun), nor even really just about aerospace education (though we dump more aerospace on a cadet in 5 days than most/all of them have had cumulatively up to that point in their life).  it's about resource management (prioritization and multitasking), shortening/speeding decision cycle, and situational/spatial awareness.  Those things make sharper people going forward into *any* endeavor, not necessarily military aviation.  not necessarily aviation at all.

Yeah, that's the same thing I told my mom about video games when I was 12.

As to the tasks of general aviation "sucking" - you're pretty much making my point on this.  There are people in this world who live and breath those GA tasks like air and water.  Holding an altitude, heading and a place in the pattern takes a lot more effort than randomly locking on the enemy with no concern for anyone but your wingman, and the learning curve is a lot higher, which is why they actually would have value to our AE curriculum.

"That Others May Zoom"

Bluelakes 13

Don't get me wrong, those that know me know that I am all for fun cadet activities!

If flight suits were approved, then the website/application should have listed it as an approved uniform.  Case closed.

Wearing my former-commander hat and from what I can tell, it was not approved, yet cadets were given flightsuits at the activity.  And they were photographed.  Having been the recipient of querries from activity commanders when my cadets had uniform infractions, the pendulum swings both ways!   :D

The lesson here was, update the website!

jb512

I think it's awesome.  You can play Microsoft Flight Simulator all day long, or get instruction from GA pilots (which is important too) but it's not often that the cadets would get the opportunity to learn something more advanced and specialized like that.  Especially since they're getting instruction from what looks like guys who do/did it for a living.

Those who think they're just sitting around playing video games all day long are mistaken I'm sure.

"That's right Ice.... man.  I am dangerous."

Krapenhoeffer

@Eclipse: This isn't the only AE activity that we do back in my squadron. But long ago, when my nameplate was blue, and my service coat had four pockets and buttons, I was the Cadet AE Officer, and I did a survey on the biggest criticisms of the AE program. What I learned was that there were two definitions of fun (according to cadets): "Senior Member (and myself) Fun" and "Cadet Fun" what I learned was that our entire AE program was "Senior Member Fun." So I, and the AEO made it a point to have "Cadet Fun" at least quarterly. We've done this as lectures on "The Influence of Aerospace on Popular Culture" which was a movie marathon one weekend, and a trip to a theme park (in civvies, mind you) a few hours away as "A Practical Exercise on the Effects of the Centripetal Force"

I do plenty of "Senior Member Fun," and we have cadets who pretty much ace their AE exams. I don't see the harm in making AE "fun." If I influence a cadet into going into Aerospace, then I did my job.

coudano

Quote from: Eclipse on July 06, 2010, 06:22:22 PM
Quote from: coudano on July 06, 2010, 06:12:34 PM

Yeah, that's the same thing I told my mom about video games when I was 12.

And you were right, too.  Not to mention hand-eye coordination.  Though that's a different discussion.

At VFWS, it's not a passive process, they are *intentionally* inundated (overloaded, even), and taught specific tools which they then employ and practice nonstop for a week (long enough to -notice- an improvement and hopefully put a foothold on some habitual behavior)

QuoteAs to the tasks of general aviation "sucking" - you're pretty much making my point on this.  There are people in this world who live and breath those GA tasks like air and water.  Holding an altitude, heading and a place in the pattern takes a lot more effort than randomly locking on the enemy with no concern for anyone but your wingman, and the learning curve is a lot higher, which is why they actually would have value to our AE curriculum.

Yah I like to fly too.  Real airplanes as well as sim.  And yah I have sat for hours in ms flight sim too practicing navigation, particularly.  But honestly I don't think I can "sell" a week of that to a group of cadets.  In real airplanes, maybe (not maybe, DEFINITELY).  But in MS flightsim...   i don't think so.  Infact i'll go ahead and say I know so.

Believe me when I tell you that "randomly locking on the enemy with no concern for anyone but your wingman" is *NOT* what we are doing at VFWS.  I mean of course we do *some* of that...  That's just good clean fun...  but it's not the thrust of the curriculum.  Needful however to say that simply locking on to something with the radar with "realistic" avionics set up, takes a few hours of class and not a little bit of practice...  particularly if you start specifying radar mode, target distance and altitude, and trying to IFF on a -very- compressed timeframe.

And you might be surprised how much time we do, infact, spend on holding altitude, heading, and place in (formation) --and doing things like following ATC or AWACS vectors, we do.  And no, just because the F16 is fly by wire, it does not necessarily make those things easy.  Easier maybe, but not easy.

The point is that most people see a bunch of cadets wearing green cover-alls, and playing a video game.  And it doesn't even look that hard (or necessarily interesting) when you aren't the one at the stick...  That is only the visible tip of the iceberg.  There's a mountain underneath the surface.  This is a 'simulation' not a 'video game'.

And yes we do use "really btdt" instructors as much as possible.
Which makes a difference.

And other guest speakers.
And facilities tours.
But now i'm giving away secrets, so i'll shut up :)

Anyway, anybody who has doubts, come in 2011, and see for yourself.
You'll walk away looking at the world differently than when you came in, I promise.