Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

Nearly Dark Side

I went to LDC in PA wing this year and we has a C/2ndLt talk on his sleep during firewatch. He said "if you talk at the position of attention one more time I will tear your heart out." He said a lot of other things, that was just the most memorable.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: TheKing on July 28, 2013, 11:41:15 PM
There were some very hilarious things that happened at my encampment. I'll only name one.
It was my third barracks inspection, and I had been studying my OI's required knowledge section furiously as to not be humiliated when I was asked my OI question.

The time came for the Inspection, and when the Squadron staff busted in our barracks door, I stood at attention immediately along with my other peers. The staff went around to everybody, and as they did so, I noticed that they asked a lot of questions about the chain of command. The chain of command that I had not even thought to study AT ALL.
So, they came to me and asked how I was doing, I sounded off "OUTSTANDING, SIR", he checked my uniform, and he asked a question:
"Who is your squadron commander?"
Perfect, I thought. I had no idea who this person was, so I said the first name I remembered from the OI. "Lt. Col. Andy Wiggs, Sir!"
They finished up the inspection and the moment they leave the room, my flight sergeant goes insane. He said, "THAT WAS THE BEST INSPECTION I HAD EVER SEEN, UNTIL WE GOT TO THE OI QUESTIONS! CADET KING!"
He had just called my name, and I just sighed and waited for his verbal beating.
The flight sergeant continued, saying "The squadron commander, who was standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, is not SENIOR MEMBER Andy Wiggs, it was CADET FIRST LIEUTENANT TIMOTHY MCCAN!"
That was all the encouragement I needed to study the chain of command.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

[/sarcasm]

Jazjar

I've got a couple from VAWG 2013 ( my first ) but this is pretty good.  Alpha flight had a guidon bearer of slavic ancestry, and the rest of Encampment had to listen to them say their water cadence in Russian... Made for an interesting time in chow lines.
Le Char bout portant, je tire!!
Clear, Concise, and to the point.
Foxtrot Flight, Squadron 3, VAWG ENC 2013 Hoorah

ol'fido

One night at Chanute AFB in 1979, I sat beside the barracks on fire watch eating apples off the trees that grew there. We then threw the cores across the street into the BX parking lot. My fellow fire watchman was a kid whose family had escaped from E. Germany about 10 years before.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

TexasCadet

One kid in my flight at my basic was quite the goof off. At one point, we were standing at attention, and it has just rained earlier, so there were a lot of clouds in the sky. So, this kid raises his hand and asks our flight sergeant "Chief, can we look at that cloud for a moment? It looks so pretty." Everyone broke out laughing except me (I can be compared to Spock). "Chief" was not amused.

TJT__98

Fascinating, at my encampment I was compared to Mr. Spock. I suppose that on earth this would be referred to as "coincedence."
C/MSgt
Wright Award 21322

PHall

Quote from: TJT__98 on August 02, 2013, 01:36:15 AM
Fascinating, at my encampment I was compared to Mr. Spock. I suppose that on earth this would be referred to as "coincedence."

Yeah, but Mr Worf got honor flight! >:D

Pulsar

Hairspray
I went to PA wing encampment. TD01 Our flight commanders were constantly bellowing at us, "YOUR HAIR LOOKS ATROCIOUS!!, you should use so much hairspray, if you bump your head on your bunk, it won't hurt because you have a HELMET HEAD!  ...Training Day 03, the carbon monoxide detectors were going off. We found out it was from all the hairspray we were using. After that, no hairspray use was aloud inside the barracks.  ::)
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Huey Driver

Quote from: Throttle99 on September 07, 2013, 11:58:02 PM
Hairspray
I went to PA wing encampment. TD01 Our flight commanders were constantly bellowing at us, "YOUR HAIR LOOKS ATROCIOUS!!, you should use so much hairspray, if you bump your head on your bunk, it won't hurt because you have a HELMET HEAD!  ...Training Day 03, the carbon monoxide detectors were going off. We found out it was from all the hairspray we were using. After that, no hairspray use was aloud inside the barracks.  ::)

Did you have "a hottie" as your flight commander?  ;D
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

ol'fido

Quote from: ol'fido on July 30, 2013, 11:23:08 PM
One night at Chanute AFB in 1979, I sat beside the barracks on fire watch eating apples off the trees that grew there. We then threw the cores across the street into the BX parking lot. My fellow fire watchman was a kid whose family had escaped from E. Germany about 10 years before.
That same year Greg Letarsky hurt himself pretty good when he fell off a bike he was riding. They went to clothing sales and bought a miniature Purple Heart and gave it to him at the cadet dance as a joke. Greg was killed the next year at the IL Wing Flight Encampment in a ultralight accident the one and only year they had ultralights.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Pulsar

Quote from: JerseyCadet on September 08, 2013, 01:21:11 AM
Hairspray

YUP!
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Pulsar

Hairspray

If you know her, tell her we wouldn't have gotten Honor Squadron of the Week with out her.
C/LtCol Neutron Star

Huey Driver

Quote from: Throttle99 on September 09, 2013, 03:05:07 PM
Hairspray

If you know her, tell her we wouldn't have gotten Honor Squadron of the Week with out her.

Sure, I'll pass it on. If you could PM your name though, that would be great.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Pulsar

Quote from: JerseyCadet on September 09, 2013, 07:05:16 PM
Quote from: Throttle99 on September 09, 2013, 03:05:07 PM
Hairspray

Sure, I'll pass it on. If you could PM your name though, that would be great.

will do.
C/LtCol Neutron Star

Pulsar

Quote from: C/CMSgt Collins on July 29, 2013, 04:00:23 AM
I went to LDC in PA wing this year and we has a C/2ndLt talk on his sleep during firewatch. He said "if you talk at the position of attention one more time I will tear your heart out." He said a lot of other things, that was just the most memorable.

I believe it! People thought PAWG encampment was strict! >:(     ( :'(   )
You should hear the "shepherds  >:D " of Leadership Development Course!

C/LtCol Neutron Star

The Happy Sergeant

This didn't happen to me, but another cadet in my squadron. he's at winter eagle one and they have the standard wall lockers, and during white glove(does anyone ELSE have white glove??) the Cadet Commander came up to his locker, opened it, didn't like what he saw, and slammed it.  after he slammed it, the door fell off. the cadet commander looks at the cadet, and says: "i am truly sorry, cadet"
Fight to Fly, Fly to Fight, Fight to Win
                                                      ~USAF motto

captearhart

Last year at encampment, we had a seriously hard core group first sergeant.  One night, I awoke to the sounds of "one two three ONE..."  Wondering what this was, I got up and looked around the barracks, and about three bunks down from me was the first sergeant not only calling PT cadence, but also doing PT in her sleep.

This year, we also had a flight sergeant who would call drill in the middle of the night.  He actually woke up the entire barracks doing it.  The strange thing was, he sounded off better in his sleep than in front of the cadets, but the thing was, he wasn't using his diaphragm in his sleep.  By day 4, he had lost his voice from calling drill while sleeping.

Nearly Dark Side

Quote from: Pulsar on September 07, 2013, 11:58:02 PM
Hairspray
What year did you go? Because that happened at PA LDC next year.

Nearly Dark Side

At my basic encampment in PA wing the first sergeant's name was Chief Markam. The staff called him backpack because he was a small guy that wore a huge backpack wherever he went. For some reason he decided to take our squadron under his wing, and he was harsher with us than our line staff was. But at graduation we earned both Honor Squadron of the week and Medic's Pride of the week, we showed him.

Brad

Quote from: Pulsar on September 07, 2013, 11:58:02 PM
Hairspray

Trying to picture having enough hair in uniform to justify the use of hairspray......

Nope, sorry, divide by zero. Females I could possibly understand though.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN