Main Menu

It's finally here!

Started by Storm Chaser, December 31, 2013, 06:25:47 PM

a2capt

Those double as deflectors.

TarRiverRat

Quote from: AFI 36-2903

Air Force Command Insignia: Current commander center 1/2 inch above nametag; graduated commander center 1/2 inch below nametag. If duty badges are worn with the command insignia (graduated commander), center the duty badge 1/2 inch below command insignia. AF Command insignia is mandatory.

Just to get it straight in my head, does this mean that the badge will go on the flap of the pocket on the aviator shirts for the graduated commander?
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

arajca

Quote from: TarRiverRat on January 04, 2014, 05:50:34 AM

Quote from: AFI 36-2903

Air Force Command Insignia: Current commander center 1/2 inch above nametag; graduated commander center 1/2 inch below nametag. If duty badges are worn with the command insignia (graduated commander), center the duty badge 1/2 inch below command insignia. AF Command insignia is mandatory.

Just to get it straight in my head, does this mean that the badge will go on the flap of the pocket on the aviator shirts for the graduated commander?
This means nothing for CAP.

a2capt

Quote from: TarRiverRat on January 04, 2014, 05:50:34 AMQuote from: AFI 36-2903
That's nice. Too bad that's not our manual.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LSThiker

Quote from: TarRiverRat on January 04, 2014, 05:50:34 AM

Yes it does.  However, the appropriate reference is:

Quote from: CAPM39-1 DraftCurrent commanders wear the appropriate command pin centered on the wearer's right side, centered 1⁄2 inch above the name tag. If a specialty track or service badge is worn on the wearer's right side above the name tag, center badge 1⁄2 inch above the command insignia. If member is a graduated commander, place command insignia 1⁄2 inch below the nametag and centered.

Oddly though, the badge is mandatory for the USAF-style BDUs and Service Dress, but optional for the CAP Distinctive BDU and Service Dress.  I think they should just make it mandatory for both.

a2capt

SarDragon

Oops. Scrood the pooch.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TarRiverRat

Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

LSThiker

Quote from: a2capt on January 04, 2014, 06:58:39 AM
Not that one. This is the fake:

So we know who is not traveling to North Korea any time soon :)

Panache

Quote from: kd8gua on January 04, 2014, 01:01:00 AM
I saw my oversight RE: Wing/Unit patch heraldry guidelines and have since rescinded my position on that. I merely did not see the word "new."

On another aspect in regards to BDU headgear. Obviously we know boonie hats are still not allowed, but did anyone else notice that the standard Patrol-style cap is no longer authorized either? 6.2.10.1 specifically mentions baseball style BDU caps but not patrol-style. However, in 6.2.12.1, the patrol cap is specifically mentioned as the only style for BBDU.

In my wing, every surplus store has tons of new, used, and surplus BDUs, and they all carry the patrol cap. I don't think I've ever seen a BDU baseball cap for sale in a surplus store...

5.1.2.8 Headgear. - Headgear. - Wear of headgear is mandatory. Either the BDU Cap, the CAP Baseball Cap or the Black Watch cap (when in a cold weather environment), may be worn.

6.2.10 - BDU Cap. Will only be worn with the Battle Dress Uniform. For placement of appropriate insignia, see figure A5-8.
6.2.10.1 - The BDU cap will be composed of a cloth woodland camouflage print, and the back half of the baseball style cap may be plastic mesh. The BDU cap will rest squarely on the head with the bottom of the cap parallel with the ground. The brim of the cap will face forward. Cap may not be pushed, rolled, folded or tucked in (e.g. ranger fold).

Huh.  Good catch.

Panache

Quote from: LSThiker on January 04, 2014, 07:46:38 AM
Quote from: a2capt on January 04, 2014, 06:58:39 AM
Not that one. This is the fake:

So we know who is not traveling to North Korea any time soon :)

Well, not unless you love dogs.

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on January 04, 2014, 05:27:47 AM
Quote from: PHall on January 04, 2014, 03:41:24 AM
The US military seems to have gone bling crazy over the past 30 years or so.
Most other countries haven't.

So true...oh, wait...

I guess you missed that first word. Most.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Panache on January 04, 2014, 08:14:21 AM
Quote from: kd8gua on January 04, 2014, 01:01:00 AM
I saw my oversight RE: Wing/Unit patch heraldry guidelines and have since rescinded my position on that. I merely did not see the word "new."

On another aspect in regards to BDU headgear. Obviously we know boonie hats are still not allowed, but did anyone else notice that the standard Patrol-style cap is no longer authorized either? 6.2.10.1 specifically mentions baseball style BDU caps but not patrol-style. However, in 6.2.12.1, the patrol cap is specifically mentioned as the only style for BBDU.

In my wing, every surplus store has tons of new, used, and surplus BDUs, and they all carry the patrol cap. I don't think I've ever seen a BDU baseball cap for sale in a surplus store...

5.1.2.8 Headgear. - Headgear. - Wear of headgear is mandatory. Either the BDU Cap, the CAP Baseball Cap or the Black Watch cap (when in a cold weather environment), may be worn.

6.2.10 - BDU Cap. Will only be worn with the Battle Dress Uniform. For placement of appropriate insignia, see figure A5-8.
6.2.10.1 - The BDU cap will be composed of a cloth woodland camouflage print, and the back half of the baseball style cap may be plastic mesh. The BDU cap will rest squarely on the head with the bottom of the cap parallel with the ground. The brim of the cap will face forward. Cap may not be pushed, rolled, folded or tucked in (e.g. ranger fold).

Huh.  Good catch.

I think the patrol cap is safe.  Baseball style caps with mesh backing are permitted, but not required.

"...the back half of the baseball style cap may be plastic mesh."

Edit: fixed typo
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

NIN

Quote from: wuzafuzz on January 04, 2014, 01:15:27 PM
I think the patrol cap is safe.  Baseball style caps with mesh backing are permitted, but not required.

"...the back half of the baseball style cap may be plastic mesh."

Edit: fixed typo

I don't think so much it is an issue of "safe," its that the camouflage baseball cap != BDU cap.

What is being described is the BDU cap. You want to have a camouflage baseball cap? Hey, fine, define it.

But a "BDU cap" is this:

Not this:
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JeffDG

Quote from: JeffDG on January 04, 2014, 12:46:05 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on January 04, 2014, 12:21:48 AM
Which really tickled my funny bone when the bling haters here on CAPTALK talked about how bling was not important to "real professionals".  :)
Yeah, this guy's not a "real professional" at all...no bling at all...

You're comparing apples and watermelons here.

But he has command authority over US military personnel, lots of 'em.

PHall

Quote from: JeffDG on January 04, 2014, 03:52:12 PM
Which really tickled my funny bone when the bling haters here on CAPTALK talked about how bling was not important to "real professionals".  :)

So what's your point? ???     Never questioned his professionalism or his authority.

JeffDG

Someone else made a point that you had to have bling to have respect.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JeffDG on January 04, 2014, 03:52:12 PM

The bling he does have is quite significant, though...the picture isn't clear enough for me to recognise his bottom three, but the top one (just below his wings) is the Canadian Order of Military Merit, and the Queen/Governor-General doesn't give those out just for showing up.

We have gone bling-crazy in the U.S.

A new Airman out of Lackland potentially can have as much bling than this Canadian Lieutenant (leff-tenant)-General:

1. Air Force Training Ribbon
2. NDSM
3. Air Force Marksmanship Ribbon
4. BMT HonGrad

In my view, we have cheapened the value of our ribbons by turning too many of them into "fog-a-mirror" awards for just showing up.

My dad, when he got out of the Army in 1959, had the Army GCM and Sharpshooter's badge with "Rifle" bar, and that's it.

Having said that, though, I think it is abject stupidity that we cannot wear CAP miniature medals (not just one) on the blazer, since that's all they're going to let us have for the G/W kit. >:(

Ideally, for formal occasions, the rules should be the same as for mess dress: miniature medals and the silver bullion embroidered wings.

And for crying out loud, get rid of the pocket protector!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Panache

I've always thought that the "Membership Ribbon" was silly.  If I'm there and in a uniform, I"m obviously a member.