Main Menu

It's finally here!

Started by Storm Chaser, December 31, 2013, 06:25:47 PM

Tim Day

Quote from: CyBorg on January 03, 2014, 04:48:49 PM

One thing I'm curious about is if NOAA Commissioned Corps aviation wings are allowed.  They are a uniformed service (like the USPHS), wear uniforms almost identical to the Navy and the aviation wings are very similar, though not identical.

Interesting question. The CAPM 39-1 (and the new draft) states "military aviation badges", but the AFI 36-2903 states "Aeronautical badges of other US services." NOAA isn't military; I'm not sure whether "US Services" implies military or includes other government agencies.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: VNY on January 03, 2014, 04:50:13 PM
Whats this "Dark Blue Windbreaker"?  They have no photo and Vanguard does not carry such a product.  It sounds the same as the ultramarine windbreaker just in a darker color.

I'm betting that's what it is, or going to be, but it hasn't been manufactured yet...maybe when VG runs out of stock of the ultramarine jacket?

Maybe it will roughly look something like this Belgian Air Force jacket, if not in cut, then in shade of blue.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Papabird

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 03, 2014, 04:07:11 PM
Quote from: Papabird on January 03, 2014, 03:57:48 PM
Hmm, I just realized this:

4.1.5.4.4.1 ... "The second badge will be centered ½ inch above the first badge." in relation to this, "If a military aviation badge (aeronautical, space or cyberspace) is worn, it will be worn in the second position." (emphasis mine)

Uh, am I reading this to say that military aviation goes in the second position, which is ABOVE the CAP wings?  If so, then what about this:

"Chaplain and CAP aviation badges are mandatory and will always be worn in the highest position."

I think the top "second" should be changed to first, but ???

That's not what they mean. One is referring to the number of badges (i.e. second badge) and the other to the position or placement (i.e. second position). Perhaps a better way to express it would be "bottom" or "lower" position. That said, the intend is still clear; only two badges above the ribbons can be worn, CAP chaplain/CAP aviation goes on top, and two non-aviation badges may also be worn.

Agreed it is not what they mean.  :) They need to change to either of the suggestions above.  Submitted.  ;)
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Lt Col Tim Day on January 03, 2014, 04:56:04 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on January 03, 2014, 04:48:49 PM

One thing I'm curious about is if NOAA Commissioned Corps aviation wings are allowed.  They are a uniformed service (like the USPHS), wear uniforms almost identical to the Navy and the aviation wings are very similar, though not identical.

Interesting question. The CAPM 39-1 (and the new draft) states "military aviation badges", but the AFI 36-2903 states "Aeronautical badges of other US services." NOAA isn't military; I'm not sure whether "US Services" implies military or includes other government agencies.

NOAA Officer Corps are part of the seven U.S. Uniformed Services, but not part of the five U.S. Armed Forces. They are commissioned officers, but they're not part of the military. My interpretation is that anywhere CAPM 39-1 references "military services" it is referring to the five Armed Services: Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard. These services are always subject to the UCMJ. In contrast, the NOAA and PHS Commissioned Corps, which are noncombatant, are only subject to the UCMJ when "militarized" by the president.

While the current draft uses the term "other service" when referring to aeronautical badges, I believe the intent is "military" service. This, however, should be clarified to avoid confusion as it is not specifically stated as such.

Tim Day

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 03, 2014, 05:59:23 PM
While the current draft uses the term "other service" when referring to aeronautical badges, I believe the intent is "military" service. This, however, should be clarified to avoid confusion as it is not specifically stated as such.

Other way around. The AFI 36-2903 uses the term other services; the draft CAPM 39-1 uses the term "military".
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Lt Col Tim Day on January 03, 2014, 06:07:38 PM

Other way around. The AFI 36-2903 uses the term other services; the draft CAPM 39-1 uses the term "military".

Actually...

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Draft4.1.5.4.4.1 Aviation (CAP, USAF or other service Aeronautical, Space, Cyberspace)... (emphasis mine)

Tim Day

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 03, 2014, 06:28:55 PM

Quote from: Lt Col Tim Day on January 03, 2014, 06:07:38 PM

Actually...

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Draft4.1.5.4.4.1 Aviation (CAP, USAF or other service Aeronautical, Space, Cyberspace)... (emphasis mine)

You have to look in the appropriate section, Section 10 - Badges and Specialty Insignia.

10.3.2 Military aviation badges (to include USAF air, space and cyberspace badges) may be worn when appropriate orders granted by competent military authority are present in the member's CAP personnel record.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP

VNY

Quote from: CyBorg on January 03, 2014, 05:06:45 PM
Quote from: VNY on January 03, 2014, 04:50:13 PM
Whats this "Dark Blue Windbreaker"?  They have no photo and Vanguard does not carry such a product.  It sounds the same as the ultramarine windbreaker just in a darker color.

I'm betting that's what it is, or going to be, but it hasn't been manufactured yet...maybe when VG runs out of stock of the ultramarine jacket?
One difference is they say the Ultramarine jacket currently in use is OK to wear over civilian clothing - whereas the new "Dark Blue" jacket will not be.   Possibly so that we will be able to keep using the current style jacket as "Leisure Wear" once the new item is available.

Devil Doc

So?.... does this mean the FMF Pin is now authorized? we are the "Military" we have the best SF hands down :)
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

NIN

Is the FMF pin authorized for wear on an Air Force uniform in the AFMAN? That's really sort of the guiding principle for "can I or can't I" with other services badges.

That's not 100 percent because national headquarters has authorized a few things that don't seem to be meeting that standard
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Devil Doc

I have emailed wing Several Times, to try to get Approval, No Answer...
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Eclipse

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 03, 2014, 08:41:46 PM

Wing doesn't have that authority. 

39-1 directs members to contact NHQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

Tim Day

The AFI 36-2903 doesn't allow any other (non-USAF) military badges to be worn on the Air Force uniform except for aeronautical badges awarded by other services.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP

NIN

Quote from: Lt Col Tim Day on January 03, 2014, 09:01:48 PM
The AFI 36-2903 doesn't allow any other (non-USAF) military badges to be worn on the Air Force uniform except for aeronautical badges awarded by other services.

There ya go! ;)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

arajca

Having dealt with a similar issue (surface warfare and submariner badges) the answer from NHQ was if they are aviation/aeronautical badges ok, if not, not ok.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: arajca on January 03, 2014, 09:04:26 PM
Having dealt with a similar issue (surface warfare and submariner badges) the answer from NHQ was if they are aviation/aeronautical badges ok, if not, not ok.

And you'll still have people wearing various and sundry badges of the other military services on the CAP USAF-style uniform... Jump wings (Army style, not Navy-style) are considered by the USAF as an aeronautical rating,
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

lordmonar

Quote from: Lt Col Tim Day on January 03, 2014, 09:01:48 PM
There are some execptions.....but they don't apply to anyone in CAP......No JTACs or SF Rangers here :).
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Tim Day

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 03, 2014, 09:29:49 PM
And you'll still have people wearing various and sundry badges of the other military services on the CAP USAF-style uniform... Jump wings (Army style, not Navy-style) are considered by the USAF as an aeronautical rating,

Not according to AFI 36-2903

10.2. Chaplain, Aeronautical, Space and Cyberspace Badges. Aeronautical, space and
cyberspace badges are worn above occupational and miscellaneous badges, but not above the
chaplain badge (if authorized, chaplain badge is worn in the highest position). When more than
one aeronautical, space or cyberspace badge is worn, the second badge becomes optional. Note:
The parachutist badge is not considered an aeronautical badge however it does take precedence
over other occupational badges.
(emphasis mine)
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP

AlphaSigOU

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Tim Day

Quote from: lordmonar on January 03, 2014, 09:41:40 PM
There are some execptions.....but they don't apply to anyone in CAP......No JTACs or SF Rangers here :).

Exceptions in the USAF? C'mon, there has to be a written policy somewhere ;-)
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP