Use of Cadets on Late Night Missions

Started by A.Member, July 27, 2008, 12:45:01 AM

A.Member

Do any squadrons/wings have policies on the use of cadets for late night/early morning missions?

Obviously, I'm assuming that the cadets are ground team qualified. 

Ex. squadron is notified of an ELT at 0100.  Squadron activiates it's call-down tree.  Do you contact (or even include) cadets in the call-down tree?   
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Major Carrales

Quote from: A.Member on July 27, 2008, 12:45:01 AM
Do any squadrons/wings have policies on the use of cadets for late night/early morning missions?

Obviously, I'm assuming that the cadets are ground team qualified. 

Ex. squadron is notified of an ELT at 0100.  Squadron activiates it's call-down tree.  Do you contact (or even include) cadets in the call-down tree?   

I would not call them until morning or what is deemed a reasonable hour citing many cerfew laws and general safety of minors practices.  Even a mission that started at 1700 hrs that is running long I would have them call and then take them home.  The will of the parent will always have to trump CAP on those occasions.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

Do they have school the next day?  Or is it summer?

That makes a difference to me.
Another former CAP officer

♠SARKID♠

Depends on their school situation and parental permission.  I'm a cadet, but I'm 19 and long out of school so I'm free round the clock.  But a 14 year old may not have the same availability.

RiverAux

Never heard of anything formal, but generally we avoid using cadets on weeknights during the school year, unless it happens to be a very nearby ELT signal and then we might consider it.

Fireball

It has always been my general policy that Cadets didn't go out on school nights, including my own children when they were Cadets. There have been some exceptions. I had two high speed cadets that were home schooled and their parents gave permission that they could be called during the week. Then there was the time we had a site surveillance tasking for three days, I let the cadets man the site (under my supervision) after school until 2100 every day. Of course during the summer I have called Cadets out at all hours (with parental consent before hand).
R. N. Brock, Maj, CAP
NCWG

Major Carrales

Again, I think cadets should be used...we train them and they go seem to take an "element of worth" out of doing something meaningful.  That has been the biggest motivator of cadets in our unit.  They use ES as a sort of extracurricular activity.  All that being said, if mom and dad say NO...that must be where it ends.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

sarmed1

I am not sure how CAP fits into the scheme of things, but if you look at Federal Labor standards they limit the times of the day that a minor can work, even though not "paid" minors at my fire department are held to the same standards.
14-15 cant perform duty after 7pm on school days, 10pm on non school days
16-17 10pm on school days and midnight on non school days....

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

IceNine

I think someone (UK?) posted a letter to parents and an availability sheet for cadet use on missions.  I plagarized the fecal matter out of that thing.

And when any of my cadets came to me with a GES Certificate I told them to have mom and/or dad fill out that sheet and return it to me.

Basically covered all of this.  During school, and during the week what times are they available? During School on weekends? Out of school weekdays, and weekends?

It worked really well and it gave me the added benefit of not having parents chew on my 4th point of contact because I called too late.  The letter was especially beneficial for preventing this, that and when they started to chew I showed them where they agreed to having me call at those times, by their signature.  End of story.

I couldn't find it via search, Anyone know where it is?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Flying Pig

Quote from: sarmed1 on July 28, 2008, 12:58:36 AM
I am not sure how CAP fits into the scheme of things, but if you look at Federal Labor standards they limit the times of the day that a minor can work, even though not "paid" minors at my fire department are held to the same standards.
14-15 cant perform duty after 7pm on school days, 10pm on non school days
16-17 10pm on school days and midnight on non school days....

mk

That doesnt apply since its not actual employment.  I would use the idea that if its summer time or the weekend, call them and leave it up to mom and dad.  If its a school night, leave them out of it.  We dont want to be the cause of junior failing a test on account of an ELT mission.

NJMEDIC

Watch out for child labors laws, which in my state pertain to volunteer organization.  State Police who have charge of missing persons require that personel be over the age of 18
Mark J. Burckley,NJ EMT-P
Major  CAP
Member NJ EMS Task Force

IceNine

Thats the other point I forgot to mention, just before I went to group I started working with parents to get a report along with the school reports.

If junior was going ok in school they got to participate, if they started dropping grades or got below a C we started restricting outside stuff with CAP

It seemed to work as a motivator to help the kids keep their grades up as well as kept us from contributing
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

A.Member

Thanks for the replies.   This is something I wrestle with and it sounds like we, as an organization, kind of wrestle with it as well.   We've decided, as a squadron, that school night or not, we will not contact any cadet under age 18 for missions between 22:00 and 06:00.  Two factors, both of which were mentioned by others earlier, went into this decision:

1.  Curfew laws
2.  Disrupting parents/families of minors in the middle of night

There are certainly valid arguments to the various approaches on this issue and that's why I was curious to see how others addressed it.  I'd really like to see a consistent approach driven from NHQ on this though...or at least within the Wing.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Pumbaa

Curfew laws have exemptions for going to and from work/ school/ event, etc...  Also accompanied by someone over 21 is generally acceptable to (parent approved guardian)

Some states have volunteer/ emergency exemptions for school attendance. In my area of NY there are many students on the volunteer fire squad, they can be excused from school for a call-out.

Personally, if the parent gives an OK, then I say why not.  This is real life.  Something that cadets need to learn.

Again if the parents say OK in advance, and the cadets says OK to late/early callouts why not.  If it does effect school/ grades then as soon as it is reported then it ceases.  just like sports, etc.

These kids are out late many times on school sponsored events such as sports.  So why not CAP?

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: A.Member on July 28, 2008, 04:22:42 AM
Thanks for the replies.   This is something I wrestle with and it sounds like we, as an organization, kind of wrestle with it as well.   We've decided, as a squadron, that school night or not, we will not contact any cadet under age 18 for missions between 22:00 and 06:00.  Two factors, both of which were mentioned by others earlier, went into this decision:

1.  Curfew laws
2.  Disrupting parents/families of minors in the middle of night

There are certainly valid arguments to the various approaches on this issue and that's why I was curious to see how others addressed it.  I'd really like to see a consistent approach driven from NHQ on this though...or at least within the Wing.

I think that is a valid way to run it. Though I am even earlier, say 2000 hrs. Sorry but when an ELT, or actual aircraft down, alert goes off I have a mission to accomplish. Having cadets "feel good" or get motivated by mission participation is very secondary to getting a team together and prosecuting the mission.

cnitas

We use a system where we have a 'First Response Team'.
Anyone on the FRT, has already agreed, or have had their parents agree that they can be called at any time. 

If there is an issue with 2 am callouts, then they simply do not get the first call.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

A.Member

Quote from: cnitas on July 28, 2008, 02:11:45 PM
We use a system where we have a 'First Response Team'.
Anyone on the FRT...
FRT?  Really?!   Do you pronounce that as "fart"?   

Sorry, couldn't resist (but I'd be voting for a name change! ;) ). 

cnitas

Ha! 
No, we do not call it the 'F.R.T.', we call it the 'First
Response Team'.  I was using that as a shortcut to keep from writing it out over again.

But after a few days in the field, its not too far off  ;D
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

jimmydeanno

My first mission was as a cadet and I was called out at about 2000 on a Monday.  We drove 2 hours to the general location, searched for another 2, found the ELT, waited another hour for the owner to show up, and drove home another 2 hours.  Total 7 hours = 0300 return home.  Back up for school at 0530.

I graduated with over a 4.0.  Had it been everyday - yeah, it might have been a problem.  But one or two a year - no biggie.  We don't do this full time.

My take though is to only call those cadets who have permission from their parents AND are performing well in school.  Some parents don't care what their kid does (therefore get permission) and they often times are the ones that are failing a few classes.  That doesn't work for me.

Keep up your game and you can play.  Otherwise, you're on the bench.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

NavLT

A great question to work out in advance with your alert roster.  When I was a cadet (ouch it hurts to say that) my squadron had a form letter for parents with check boxes about availiblity.

I have used cadets on night searches but on the same criteria as Cadets in ES string, they have to be the right kind of serious cadet.  I would think that any cadet that seriously wanted to do missions would be pushing the parents to approve before you have to ask.

V/R
LT J.

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 28, 2008, 08:12:11 PM
My first mission was as a cadet and I was called out at about 2000 on a Monday.  We drove 2 hours to the general location, searched for another 2, found the ELT, waited another hour for the owner to show up, and drove home another 2 hours.  Total 7 hours = 0300 return home.  Back up for school at 0530.

I graduated with over a 4.0.  Had it been everyday - yeah, it might have been a problem.  But one or two a year - no biggie.  We don't do this full time.

My take though is to only call those cadets who have permission from their parents AND are performing well in school.  Some parents don't care what their kid does (therefore get permission) and they often times are the ones that are failing a few classes.  That doesn't work for me.

Keep up your game and you can play.  Otherwise, you're on the bench.

Ummm...the permission thing I get, but how the heck am I supposed to know if a cadet is doing well in school? I have minimal interaction with the cadet side of the house outside of ES training.

jimmydeanno

I can understand you "predicament."  I'm in a situation where I work with cadets and do ES stuff so I know where all the cadets stand academically. It's a call I can make on the spot without having to make additional phone calls.

My cadets know that their school priorities come first.  Also, if we call a cadet out, our policy is to notify the DCC as well - since they'll be the one getting the phone call from the parents.  So in general there is a lot of communication between the ES staff and the cadet staff in these areas.

In general though - I'd just say do whatever works for your squadron, if it makes sense - do it.

YMMV.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

John Bryan

Child labor,  curfew, and missing school rules/laws are state by state and need to be considered. If there is a need, maybe change the law.....curfew in Indiana is very limited thanks to our state supreme court. Parents decide when their kids can be out not the state/city.

As for missing school in Indiana cadets MUST be excused up to 5 days a year for missions....State law for CAP Cadets. National Guard soliders still in high school can miss 10 in Indiana.

To be a cadet, you are required to be doing at least satisfactory in school so hopefully not too many cadets are failing any classes.

By the way we have cadets miss school for more then missions....what about military orientation flights or CLA which requires a week of school to be missed?

isuhawkeye

many states have very large home school programs.  these youth have a unique opportunity to flex their schedules around unique opportunities like missions

John Bryan

and some schools are better about it then others.....a few years ago I had a cadet (17 yr old /11th grader ) out on our GT when we found a ELT which turned out to be a crashed airplane (we should treat all ELTs as crashes till proven not to be but thats a different issue). The mission started at around 10pm , we found the crash about midnight and were on scene about an hour, then RTB for debriefings and paperwork, and ended with a 4 am trip to Dennys. His school did not excuse the absence, they counted him present for the next days classes and recorded the mission as a "field trip".....their reasoning was he was learning life lessons they could not teach in the classroom.

By the way, his grades never suffered.....he got his BS from Purdue and is now an air traffic controller.

♠SARKID♠

QuoteUmmm...the permission thing I get, but how the heck am I supposed to know if a cadet is doing well in school? I have minimal interaction with the cadet side of the house outside of ES training.

Ask for their report cards

BillB

You can ask for report cards but under privacy laws, they are not required to show them. And for those few over the age of 18, the parents don't even get to see them unless the student gives the school permission.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Pumbaa

That's why I love the fact that 90% of our cadets are homeschooled!  As the parents bring them I ask how they are doing grade wise!   Nothing like having the principal and teacher there ;)

If a cadet wants to be added to the callout list for late night missions, one of the criteria is *TO* show a copy of the grades/report card.  If they say they don't want to show it because of the so called privacy laws, etc... then they are scratched off the list...  that simple.

They don't have to show me anything, I don't have to allow them on the list....   >:D

maverik

Well I would say that you would use the cadets because 99% of SAR missions begin at night. I understand the curfew thing but...most states/local goverments make exceptions to emrgency personnel. Just my 2 cents though.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Ned

Quote from: BillB on August 03, 2008, 08:21:19 PM
You can ask for report cards but under privacy laws, they are not required to show them. And for those few over the age of 18, the parents don't even get to see them unless the student gives the school permission.

Well,  privacy laws will certainly vary from state to state, but there is nothing that would suggest that it is improper for us to ask to see a cadet's grades since "failure to maintain a satisfactory academic school record" is cause for termination under CAPR 35-3 , para 3a(5).

If I were a squadron commander/DCC and a cadet of any age declined/refused to show me a report card, in all likelinhood they would be an ex-member fairly shortly.

(But they would certainly have their privacy. 8))

Ned Lee

mikeylikey

^ Agreed.  How can parents not be allowed to see the student records (like report cards)?  Children are minors, and have little privacy rights when it comes to their parents or guardians.  Heck, in my State, a student under the age of 18 can not see their school records, but the parent can see them.  Also, grade reports are addressed to the attention of the students guardians, not the student. 

What's up monkeys?

LtCol057

A few years ago, we designed some forms that were kept on file re: cadet participation in ES activities.  The form had to be signed by the cadet indicating they would abide by our policies for ES. The parents also had to sign the form giving us permission to call the cadets.  If the parents didn't want us to call the cadets out, there was a different spot to sign, or if they wanted to restrict the time we could call.  We also sent a letter to the respective schools advising the cadet was an active member of CAP and they might be out of class due to a mission, but the cadets were aware they were responsible for any work missed. I don't remember us ever calling a cadet out on a school night.  Holiday weekends, summer, yeah. All of this was contingent upon the cadet maintaining a decent grade (C or higher) in ALL school work, progressing adequately in the cadet program, maintaining currency in all ES quals.  This form had to be renewed at the start of every school year.  The cadets had to submit copies of grade reports. No grade reports, their name was off the call out list.

We had pretty good parental participation then. The parents knew if they grounded their child for discipline, the cadet was off our call list for the duration of the grounding.  All they had to do was call.  I got a very few calls "My child, cadet soandso, has been grounded for 2 weeks, take them off the call list". 

Duke Dillio

Can someone post one of these forms?  I've seen the talk about them but I'd like to see what they look like so that I can compare them to what I have.  Thanks.

LtCol057

I'll see if I can find one. We haven't had any cadets involved in ES in awhile, currently trying to get the program running again.

JoeTomasone

Since becoming the Group ES Officer, my policy has been to include Trainees and Cadets on missions whenever possible/practical.   I have suggested that all Squadrons maintain a list of all 101'ed and T'ed Cadets and get their parents to state their availability for inclusion into alert procedures.   

Essentially, I don't feel that CAP should be policing report cards and the like -- we should be letting the parents make the call unless we have evidence that suggests that this may not be in the best interests of the Cadet.

Larry Mangum

Back in the day, when I was part of the Beverly Composite Squadron, it was standard procedure to call out cadets along with Seniors for ELT missions.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

jeders

My general policy in the past has been not to call cadets at all on school nights and then call them on weekends and during holidays. Reading this thread I think I may change that a little by having cadets' parents sign a paper showing availability during the year.

Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 08, 2008, 07:02:52 AM
Essentially, I don't feel that CAP should be policing report cards and the like -- we should be letting the parents make the call unless we have evidence that suggests that this may not be in the best interests of the Cadet.

Actually we're (at least those of us working with cadets regularly) supposed to police cadets' report cards.

Quote from: CAPR 35-3
3. Causes To Terminate Cadet Membership: ...
(5) Failure to maintain a satisfactory academic school
record

So hopefully squadrons are keeping an eye on that and keeping cadets from participating on missions at least if they aren't performing satisfactorily.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JoeTomasone

Quote from: jeders on December 08, 2008, 06:30:27 PM

Actually we're (at least those of us working with cadets regularly) supposed to police cadets' report cards.

record

So hopefully squadrons are keeping an eye on that and keeping cadets from participating on missions at least if they aren't performing satisfactorily.

Noted, but I think that participation should be the parent's call; termination is CAP's call.   <shrug>

jeders

Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 08, 2008, 09:53:49 PM
Quote from: jeders on December 08, 2008, 06:30:27 PM

record

Noted, but I think that participation should be the parent's call; termination is CAP's call.   <shrug>

Probably, but I've always had a school first policy. So if they aren't doing well in school, they don't get to come out and play. Just my view, YMMV.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Duke Dillio

Has anyone ever seen a cadet get 2B'd for failure to maintain grades?  I've never personally seen it.  I have had parents call me to tell me that Little Johnny or Little Suzie won't be participating in CAP for a couple of weeks due to poor grades/attendence problems.

As to the original post, I agree completely that it is the parent's call on whether or not to allow the cadet to participate.  If the parent is a squadron member, it is usually not a problem.

Stonewall

I am shocked at the number of squadrons that do not use cadets for ES missions, even on school nights.

As a cadet at age 14, my first mission was a non-distress ELT on a meeting night.  Called my parents and told them not to come pick me up.  They were like "roger that, let us know when it's over so we can get you".

My entire experience as a senior member in National Capital Wing (Virginia side) has had cadets fully involved in ES missions, regardless of time of year.  As Ice Nine said, I used a "parent's permission form" that was completed and kept on file along with the alert roster once the cadet earned their GES, UDF or GTM qualification. 

See attached form.  I also included an ES Letter to Parents.  The ES Permission slip was filled out prior to each new school year.

I have personally known of a home schooled cadet who remained on a missing aircraft mission for two weeks. 

In fact, I even pre-planned and coordinated a "practice alert" on a Saturday night where I called qualified cadets and had them bring 24/72 hour gear to the rally location and took off in the van.  About 30 minutes into the drive I advised them this is a drill.  We parked at a state park and conducted a complete gear lay out/inspection.  We then suited up and went on a 6 mile road march on the W&OD trail in Northern Virginia.

The parents were in on the planning, so when we got back at 22:00, pizza awaited us.  It proved to be a solid success with lots of lessons learned.
Serving since 1987.

caprr275

Quote from: Stonewall on December 10, 2008, 08:49:44 PM
In fact, I even pre-planned and coordinated a "practice alert" on a Saturday night where I called qualified cadets and had them bring 24/72 hour gear to the rally location and took off in the van.  About 30 minutes into the drive I advised them this is a drill.  We parked at a state park and conducted a complete gear lay out/inspection.  We then suited up and went on a 6 mile road march on the W&OD trail in Northern Virginia.

The parents were in on the planning, so when we got back at 22:00, pizza awaited us.  It proved to be a solid success with lots of lessons learned.

Very good idea! I think im going to do this with my cadets over the Christmas break.

My unit has had a long history of having a ground team of cadets. I can remember about 2 months after I joined a red cap mission in the UP of Michigan that lasted a week. I called my parents and got cleared by them to go and I was up there for a week.

While I was a cadet I got called maybe 15 times in the middle of the night over a 5 year period.  My unit always talked to mom or dad before the cadet can go out if the cadet is a minor.  It is true on a school night we try to pick the older cadets however we will still call the younger ones even if they cant go to show them that we are trying to include them. That way when we do a debrief at the next meeting they aren't pissed off that they didn't get a call even though they couldn't go.

Gunner C

Quote from: Stonewall on December 10, 2008, 08:49:44 PM
I am shocked at the number of squadrons that do not use cadets for ES missions, even on school nights.

As a cadet at age 14, my first mission was a non-distress ELT on a meeting night.  Called my parents and told them not to come pick me up.  They were like "roger that, let us know when it's over so we can get you".

My entire experience as a senior member in National Capital Wing (Virginia side) has had cadets fully involved in ES missions, regardless of time of year.  As Ice Nine said, I used a "parent's permission form" that was completed and kept on file along with the alert roster once the cadet earned their GES, UDF or GTM qualification. 

See attached form.  I also included an ES Letter to Parents.  The ES Permission slip was filled out prior to each new school year.

I have personally known of a home schooled cadet who remained on a missing aircraft mission for two weeks. 

Stoney - you are my hero!  I tried to do that as a squadron commander but couldn't get support until an old friend of mine joined the unit.  He recruited a couple of other people, got the cadets up to speed, recruited a truck load of cadets, and was able to do pretty much the same thing.  Guys like you are worth your weight in gold.

Gunner

Stonewall

Quote from: Gunner C on December 11, 2008, 06:46:59 AMGuys like you are worth your weight in gold.

Great, now I'm fat.  Thanks.   :-*

You know what?  I did this with absolute support from my Wing.  Col McConnell was the Wing King at the time and whether he knew it or not, he signed off on this.  Submitted the request for a "no notice call out" and he signed it.

If you think about it, something like the above "call out" is easier to plan than a regular FTX.  You need next to nothing in logistics and it's over in a few hours versus a couple days.

As much as I try to keep parents away from meetings, I did communicate with them regularly.  Even sent occasional updates on squadron activities in the mail and invited them to their cadet's promotions.  I had as many as 12 qualified GTM cadets and knew pretty much everything about them.  So I didn't even have to invite the ones I knew were tied up in sports or family stuff.  Contacted the 9 other parents, even organized carpools for one cadet's parents to pick up and drop off the others.  Not to mention we had a drop-dead completion time so they weren't hanging around waiting for their cadet.

Plus, there was food!!!!

Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: caprr275 on December 11, 2008, 06:10:24 AMRobert L Bowden, 1st Lt, CAP

Are we related?

Peter K. (Kirt) Bowden, Lt Col, CAP
Serving since 1987.

RADIOMAN015

Overall I don't think it's a good idea to use the younger cadets on late night wee early morning missions.  Our last two ELT missions have been 0300, 0430 local hrs stop times, & we started 2230, 1845 hrs local respectively.  Perhaps the cadets that are 16 years old or older MIGHT be utilized.  However, there's multiple problems with this in that as senior members we are fatigued enough after the mission.  IF the cadet has no ride home (and in many cases you don't want the parent up at 0300 to pickup the cadet because you are going to end up waiting at squadron headquarters even longer until the parent arrives), than one of the us is going to have to either wait for the parent or drive the cadet home.   Again with this evening into early morning missions, we are already at risk from being tired and when you add in being a shuttle bus service, I personally don't want the risk associated with it.   HOWEVER, if the cadet residence is on the way back to the senior member's residence, than each individually can make that choice.  The last mission two weeks ago, we elected not to use any cadets, since the alert time & response was 2230 hrs local & dispatch from the squadron hdqs was after 2400 hrs, with RTB around 0300 hrs local.  Although it's important to get cadets involved in all aspects of the ES program, there are limitations.  Actually in all fairness to cadets, there can be utilization limitations with senior members also due to health & work situations.
RM

Stonewall

A lot of people make it seem impossible to include cadets, as if it's an either all or nothing situation.

Situations dictate and we can all be flexible in the use of cadets with missions.  While I am an advocate for involving cadets, there have been missions that I didn't call any and it was just me and another senior.

If Senior Member Smith is called for an ELT search at 2300 at night, then it only makes sense to notify cadets in close proximity to the rally location or the senior member.  In my case, I wouldn't notify cadets who live 45 minutes west of the squadron when I live 15 minutes east.

But if it were a Thursdsay night and an over due aircraft mission, then yes, I'd call as many qualified cadets and seniors as possible.  Cadets can miss school Friday and be available for as many as 3 days.  And of course, if Saturday afternoon shows up and we're still searching, but Cadet Tentpeg has a school project due, then guess what?  Mrs. Tentpeg is going to drive 2 hours south to Anytown USA to pick their cadet up.

This is why it is key to communicate with parents; getting verbal, in writing and even a head nod approval in advance.  "YES, I GIVE LT COL RAMBO PERMISSION TO CALL MY HOUSE AT 0400 ON A WEEKNIGHT TO ACTIVATE MY CADET FOR MISSIONS".  It's that easy.  Believe it or not, out of 15 or 20 cadets, you may get as many as 33.3% with 100$ "green light" to call out cadets.
Serving since 1987.

Gunner C

Quote from: Stonewall on December 12, 2008, 02:54:02 AM
A lot of people make it seem impossible to include cadets, as if it's an either all or nothing situation.

Situations dictate and we can all be flexible in the use of cadets with missions.  While I am an advocate for involving cadets, there have been missions that I didn't call any and it was just me and another senior.

If Senior Member Smith is called for an ELT search at 2300 at night, then it only makes sense to notify cadets in close proximity to the rally location or the senior member.  In my case, I wouldn't notify cadets who live 45 minutes west of the squadron when I live 15 minutes east.

But if it were a Thursdsay night and an over due aircraft mission, then yes, I'd call as many qualified cadets and seniors as possible.  Cadets can miss school Friday and be available for as many as 3 days.  And of course, if Saturday afternoon shows up and we're still searching, but Cadet Tentpeg has a school project due, then guess what?  Mrs. Tentpeg is going to drive 2 hours south to Anytown USA to pick their cadet up.

This is why it is key to communicate with parents; getting verbal, in writing and even a head nod approval in advance.  "YES, I GIVE LT COL RAMBO PERMISSION TO CALL MY HOUSE AT 0400 ON A WEEKNIGHT TO ACTIVATE MY CADET FOR MISSIONS".  It's that easy.  Believe it or not, out of 15 or 20 cadets, you may get as many as 33.3% with 100$ "green light" to call out cadets.

We did implement another thing to help out the cadets and their parents:  We had alert teams.  The team had a specific time period (usually a week or 10 days) that they were in the window for being called out.  It worked pretty well - the parents and the cadets knew that during this time they might be called for a mission.

Some parents were even willing to drive their cadets to a rally point.  If there were grades/family problems, etc., there was communication with the GTL, temporarily taking them off the roster.  One weekend we had 5 ELT missions and we had several cadets who participated in all 5. 

I'm a big believer in having real teams - it's a great management/leadership tool.

Gunner