A/C rotation

Started by Sarge, October 09, 2007, 05:16:55 AM

Sarge

Anybody have any thoughts on aircraft rotation in a small CAP wing? We seem to visit this issue ad naseum in our Wing. A source of constant frustration. Do we allocate a/c just to Sq's that put hours on them or is politics of "geographic distribution" key? I think there are two variables in play here. What is the common experience here? I would appreciate any input.
Sarge

jeders

I don't know about small wings, but in Texas if you don't put hours on a plane, you lose it. That being said, most of our planes are in high density population areas leaving those of us out in West Texas with only a handful of planes.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Larry Mangum

When discussing aircraft placement, hours, geographical location and unfortunately politics are always part of the mix. 

1. Hours - Is there a large enough pilot base to support the plane?
2. Geographical Location - Several factors to consider here:
     -Weather, do you get enough days above minimums.
    - Are there other resources in the area to cover SAR\CD\ROTC\O-Rides needs.
    - Pilot base, if not enough pilots in the local squadron or there other units within a reasonable driving   time to support the aircraft then.
3.  Politics - Sometime you have to place an aircraft in area even though the criteria above cannot be entirely met.  This may be due to a need to support a university's ROTC program even though there are not enough pilots to fully suppor the aircraft in a SAR or CD situation.

Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001