Main Menu

Random First Aid question

Started by hollyritzman, September 09, 2015, 10:30:56 PM

hollyritzman

I am working on putting together a first aid kit and with that started the conversation about a trauma bag for our squadron. While discussing this the question arose, if we have an AED do we also need to have EPI on hand? what about an EPI pen in case of allergies? where does CAP in general stand on this? and I realize the answer will be no if you have no one trained but what if we have trained medical professionals as Senior Members in our Squadron? I am pretty new to all of this and I am the first Medical professional the squadron has had so these are all new questions for all of us.

arajca

Epi pens are usually a prescription. IV/IM epi is a drug and requires proper training AND medical direction to use in the field. It is generally used by paramedics (EMT-P). You'll need to research your state's requirements and what level of risk your seniors are prepared to assume. Also, Epi has expiration dates. Then there is the matter of proper security for the drug. It is really not worth stocking unless you have a strong sense you'll need it frequently, even if you can legally administer it.

AED does not need epi. AEDs are made for the vast general public to use successfully and without injury. The general public would have no idea how to use epi.

If you get a trauma bag, remove and hide the cervical collars.

SARDOC

I'm not sure how the discussion transpired that went from having an AED to having Epinephine (Epi) on hand.  If the Purpose of having the Epi for resuscitation, I would say no.  That is well beyond the scope of anybody when acting as part of the Civil Air Patrol.  Epinephine in an Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) scenario is a great thing to be administered as soon as possible but by those with the training.

Epi in ACLS is administered Intravenous (IV), interosseous (IO) and Endotracheally (ET) via an advanced airway.  IV and IO are the most preferred routes.  The dose for pulseless arrests in Pulseless Ventricular Tachycardia (VTach), Ventricular Fibrillation (VFib), Pulseless Electrical Activity (PEA) and Asystole algorithms is 1.0 MG of 1:10,000 concentration.

For you to get this medication you would need an Operational Medical director and the appropriate skill to even administer the drugs via these routes.  It's too much.

I wanted to emphasize that the EPIPEN can't not be used in a Resuscitation.  The EPIPEN injects 0.3mg of 1:1,000 Intramuscularly (IM) and serves no Purpose in ACLS.

Having an EPIPEN on hand for allergic reactions is a good concept but as noted in the other post you'll need a prescription and the money to go purchase them.  Not all states govern these the same way.  Some would mandate that you meet pharmacy security protocols and keep it under lock and key.  Instead, the best practice I'd recommend that any member that has a diagnosed allergy that results in anaphalaxis to carry their own EpiPen at all times.  EpiPen administration doesn't neccessarily require a lot of training. EMT-Basics can administer a patient's Epipen if allowed by their medical director.  The Jurisdiction where I used to work, the 911 dispatchers could instruct someone on the use of an EpiPen.

My recommendation is to just have a really good first aid kit and focus on training on the use of the AED and Effective CPR including the use of a pocket mask/barrier device.  Don't get hung up on the Epi it's more trouble than it's worth.  Call 911 as soon as possible and do the best possible CPR until the Cavalry arrives.

JC004

A CAP unit should not own prescription medications.  I've known people to want to include painkillers and the like - bad idea.  Even albuterol or something like that...bad.  If personnel on the team require epi-pens, you should make sure they have them, and have at least one in their personal first aid kit.  Same goes for albuterol and the like - tell them to ask their doctor for a prescription to keep in their CAP ground team kit at all times. 

PA Guy

Hollyritzman,

It sounds like you need to read CAP Regulation 160-1 particularly chap. 1-6.