Kenwood TK-2180 / TK-3180 VHF / UHF Radio

Started by Airrace, April 07, 2009, 09:26:13 PM

Airrace

Has anyone purchased the Kenwood TK-2180/TK-3180 VHF- UHF Radio? I would appreceate if they could share their comments. I am considering purchasing this radio and am not sure if it's CAP compliance or not. I thought it might be nice to have a VHF and UHF handheld radio. It also has 512 channels and offers a hands free operation (voice operated Transmission).

arajca

CAP does not have authorization for UHF operations, therefore, the TK-3180 cannot be used for CAP.

The TK-2180 is compliant, provided the radio was in CAP service prior to Jan 2006. That model does not meet the current requirements. National has allowed radios meeting the old requirements that were in CAP service when the requirements changed.

VHF Equipment Compliant Summary Report

Keep in mind that CAP is PROHIBITED from operating on amatuer frequencies even if the member has the appropriate license. Contact your unit comm officer for more details.

cap235629

FYI,

The ISR frequencies are UHF and have no power limitation associated with their use.  So in theory if the radio could tune the frequency, then you can use the UHF side of the radio to operate on the ISR frequencies.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

N Harmon

Looks like the TK-3180's bandsplit won't cover the ISR frequencies. Unless it can be expanded with modification.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

arajca

1. ISR frequencies are 100Mhz below the normal UHF band.

2. Modifying a radio to cover them, if possible, voids any warranty the radio may have, voids FCC approvals, and using said unapproved radio on federal channels could lead to nice folks from the FBI, FCC, DoD, and/or Secret Service 'inviting' you to be a guest at their facilities for a while.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: arajca on April 08, 2009, 03:12:17 AM

I disagree, but to expand would potentially compromise frequency data.

RedFox24

Quote from: JoeTomasone on April 08, 2009, 03:38:51 AM
Quote from: arajca on April 08, 2009, 03:12:17 AM

I disagree, but to expand would potentially compromise frequency data.

+1

Plus CAP is a secondary user of that band width.
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

♠SARKID♠

And five watts is above the maximum power allowed on those freqs (trying to find that documentation)

cap235629

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on April 08, 2009, 08:53:27 PM
And five watts is above the maximum power allowed on those freqs (trying to find that documentation)

There is no maximum power allowance as this is a military frequency
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

JoeTomasone

Quote from: cap235629 on April 08, 2009, 10:55:42 PM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on April 08, 2009, 08:53:27 PM

There is no maximum power allowance as this is a military frequency

Moot point since the Icom is the only radio authorized per 100-1.