Main Menu

FT-817 for HF

Started by CAP.is.1337, December 20, 2008, 04:29:44 AM

CAP.is.1337

In addition to recently earning my ACUT and a callsign, I'm also a relatively new Ham operator. I already have my VHF options pretty much taken care of, and I'm ready to take the next step.

I've decided on an FT-817ND for my first HF radio for the main reason that its the only amateur rig that can be used legally for CAP. (My budget is very limited right now, and I can't really afford a Ham rig in addition to a dedicated CAP HF radio.) Is there anyone else here who uses one for CAP? What kind of issues do you have with the limited power, and what do you use for antennas and tuning?
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

♠SARKID♠

I've considered getting one of these to make a manpack for field HF use.  It would be nice if it was a little more than 5W.  If you're trying to do any distance work, you may have some trouble.  The sunspots just aren't in season for low power DX.

JoeTomasone

5 watts will be a challenge; you will have to make up in antenna (quality, choice, location) what you won't have in RF output.   Many CAP members cut dipoles for their primary Wing frequency and use a tuner when needed; the problem with them is that they need to be pretty darn high off the ground, which is a challenge for many members.   You might want to consider investing in a vertical HF antenna that covers the range that we operate in.

♠SARKID♠

There is the option of a linear amplifier if you want to go that route.

Major Lord

What frequencies would you try for use in a 5 Watt HF backpack radio?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

CAP.is.1337

Quote from: Major Lord on December 20, 2008, 08:37:37 AM
What frequencies would you try for use in a 5 Watt HF backpack radio?

Major Lord

My guess, from a technical standpoint, is that it really depends on your antenna setup and location. This is just a wild guess, but I'd think that our channels near the 20m to 10m range would be the best for that situation.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

wacapgh

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 20, 2008, 07:29:17 AM
There is the option of a linear amplifier if you want to go that route.

Unfortunately, that route takes you out of compliance.  When I got mine shortly after they came out, I asked NTC staff about the possibility of getting a waiver for VHF. AF had already said no, NTC staffers had submitted a request.  They're hams as well and also saw the potential usefulness of a "Backpack radio that can transmit on every frequency CAP is authorized".

It got on the list for HF w/TCXO installed because there is some relaxation in the HF specifications for 5W or under.

Fireball

I purchased this radio over a year ago for the very reasons stated in the original post. Being a HAM, I like my gear to be able to do double duty and the 817 was the cheapest way for me to do that. I employ my rig with a NVIS antenna setup and I can usually log into our Wing HF net as well as cover about 2/3 of NC. Now my signal is not very loud and a lot of the time I have to repeat my call, but I can live with that. I have not, however, used it in the field on a CAP operation, but I plan on it sometime this year.
On the HAM side, I use a G5RV with a tuner or a multi-band telescopic antenna. My results have been mixed. But I really haven't had the time to fully explore its full capabilities. There are several forums on the internet that deal with this radio. I suggest starting with the FT817 groups on Yahoo and go from there. Also check out http://hfpack.com/
I hope this helps.
KD4UMQ
R. N. Brock, Maj, CAP
NCWG