Cheapest radio while maintaing quality?

Started by AngelWings, May 22, 2012, 03:33:43 AM

AngelWings

Can anyone suggest a good quality radio that won't break an already tight bank? I hate to ask a question that a lot of people will probably say that I could have googled, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Eclipse

New or used?

Your best deal will be used.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

What capacity is this radio being used?  CAP? Personal? CB? HAM? Car Stereo? I-Pod?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

Quote from: Littleguy on May 22, 2012, 03:33:43 AM
Can anyone suggest a good quality radio that won't break an already tight bank? I hate to ask a question that a lot of people will probably say that I could have googled, but any help is greatly appreciated.
What do you want it to do?
How do you define as Quality?

You will get what you pay for.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AngelWings

Excuse my ignorance and lack of detail. I want a radio I could use in CAP. I don't care if it is used or new. I simply just need/want a radio that I could talk to other CAP personnel with, including vehicles and planes alike.

lordmonar

So...you are looking for a VHF FM...portable (i.e. goes into your car) or hand held or base station?

Either way you are looking at around $500 to $1500.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on May 22, 2012, 02:40:57 PM
So...you are looking for a VHF FM...portable (i.e. goes into your car) or hand held or base station?

Either way you are looking at around $500 to $1500.

New, I agree.  Used $100 all day.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Motorola-HT1000-VHF-16-channel-radios-NEW-BATTERIES-PLUS-/221026337694?pt=2_Way_Radios_FRS&hash=item337632439e#ht_644wt_1344

You can find HT 1000's all over the place that are compliant, work great, and have tons of accessories.
I'd advise connecting with your unit/group/wing comm guys and speaking to them.  We could list models all day long that will work (Heck, I've seen EFJ HT's on eBay for $300 w/ keypads), but unless you have someone who can program it, they won't do you any good.
Most comm guys I've met are unable to not buy a compliant radio and are sitting on a pile of gear.

As I've mentioned before, last year I bought a sweet Motorola Visar 16 channel radio with 4 batteries, two antennas, a dual-spot desktop charger and
a surveillance mic for $75 from my Wings DC.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

One significant benefit to getting an EF Johnson is you do not have to worry about finding someone to program it. Your wing will have all the necessary equipment and software. They may not loan you the equipment - the amount of equipment is limited, but they will program the radio for you, especially if you are coordinating a unit reprogramming activity.

I have had members getting other brands and demanding wing provide the software and cables for their radio. Not happening. If you get any other brand of radio, it is on YOU to get it programmed. That includes Motorola. Yes, the software may be available online from any number of websites, but most of them are not legal copies and for CAP to use them opens them up to a large liability risk.

As has been mentioned, talk to YOUR wing comm folks to see what programming capabilities exist in the wing. They may know of members who have other programming capabilities.

My recommendation is to get a radio with at least 48 channels. That will allow you to have all the simplex channels and, for most wings, all the repeaters in your wing.

wuzafuzz

Find out whether your wing is using digital a lot.  If yes, you will likely want a digital capable radio.  Those are usually quite a bit more expensive.

In my wing we don't use digital much at all, so a compliant analog only radio will work for most folks.  I've heard of other wings that use digital a lot.  Make sure you meet your needs before making a purchase.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

ol'fido

Quote from: arajca on May 22, 2012, 03:53:11 PM
One significant benefit to getting an EF Johnson is you do not have to worry about finding someone to program it. Your wing will have all the necessary equipment and software. They may not loan you the equipment - the amount of equipment is limited, but they will program the radio for you, especially if you are coordinating a unit reprogramming activity.

I have had members getting other brands and demanding wing provide the software and cables for their radio. Not happening. If you get any other brand of radio, it is on YOU to get it programmed. That includes Motorola. Yes, the software may be available online from any number of websites, but most of them are not legal copies and for CAP to use them opens them up to a large liability risk.

As has been mentioned, talk to YOUR wing comm folks to see what programming capabilities exist in the wing. They may know of members who have other programming capabilities.

My recommendation is to get a radio with at least 48 channels. That will allow you to have all the simplex channels and, for most wings, all the repeaters in your wing.
Another benefit for those of us in Illinois is that they issue the EFJs with big leather holsters that have a long shoulder strap with snaps on it. One of these days, I'm going to order that sabre from the US Cavalry Store...... 8) ;D. Charge!!!!
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006