CAP "Brand": More Regulation Around the Use of Logos, Seals, etc?

Started by A.Member, December 07, 2008, 07:19:42 PM

Should NHQ undertake efforts to clarify, define, and approve the use of various CAP logos, mottos, seals, etc.?

Yes
54 (80.6%)
No
12 (17.9%)
I have no idea what you're talking about
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

RiverAux

QuoteThe seal is just fine on official correspondence. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If we had actually had a working system, this would probably be true.  However, everything is so hodge-podge now that I don't think this is working either.  For example, in just looking at Interim Change Letters on e-services you can find both full color and black and white seals used in the last year (mostly color). 

BuckeyeDEJ

That the seal is color or black only isn't a huge deal, as long as the seal is properly placed, the address element beside it is appropriate, the signature element is correct and the body of the text is in an appropriate format.

Since CAPR 10-1 was revamped to eliminate all those guidelines (as well as a camera-ready seal, which I used to draw the seals that you see around, unlike what came from NHQ), the only place anyone really learns to do correspondence correctly is at... wait for it... REGION STAFF COLLEGE.

So unless you're working on a promotion to light colonel, or you're previous military, you probably don't know -- and should -- how to process CAP correspondence.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

G+10

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 09, 2008, 04:29:34 AM
That the seal is color or black only isn't a huge deal, as long as the seal is properly placed, the address element beside it is appropriate, the signature element is correct and the body of the text is in an appropriate format.

Since CAPR 10-1 was revamped to eliminate all those guidelines (as well as a camera-ready seal, which I used to draw the seals that you see around, unlike what came from NHQ), the only place anyone really learns to do correspondence correctly is at... wait for it... REGION STAFF COLLEGE.

So unless you're working on a promotion to light colonel, or you're previous military, you probably don't know -- and should -- how to process CAP correspondence.

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/afh33-337.pdf

There is a good section on email formatting starting on page 149. The written formats start on page 171 (with examples of the branding, to stay on topic).

There, go forth and spread the good word!

John

jimmydeanno

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 09, 2008, 04:29:34 AM
the only place anyone really learns to do correspondence correctly is at... wait for it... REGION STAFF COLLEGE.

We didn't do anything about correspondence at RSC.  The old SLS cirriculum had a block on preparing CAP correspondence though.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jimmydeanno

Alright, during my lunch break today (since I was bored), I decided to try and produce a style guide.  Of course this would probably have no possiblity of being used, but it only took an hour to produce. 

It also doesn't include all possible uses of the CAP Emblem (decided focus), but I think it gives a general idea.

(PS: I know the graphics are a little hokey, but that's what you get for an hour) :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

fireplug

jimmydeanno-
Hallelujah!!!
Anxiously awaiting the next part, covering the corporate seal. Thanks.

davidsinn

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 09, 2008, 08:12:39 PM
Alright, during my lunch break today (since I was bored), I decided to try and produce a style guide.  Of course this would probably have no possiblity of being used, but it only took an hour to produce. 

It also doesn't include all possible uses of the CAP Emblem (decided focus), but I think it gives a general idea.

(PS: I know the graphics are a little hokey, but that's what you get for an hour) :)

Awesome  :clap: I hope you are planning on continuing this. If you need any diagrams (for dimensions and what not) look me up. I'm a drafter in my day job and might be able to help.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

A good start, but please include "unofficial" prominently and who is actually writing it.

The last thing we need is arguments that NHQ has mandated using this.

Unlike Chuck's uniform guides, these are just one person's opinion (I agree with them, but still), and something this
professional looking will have have a tendency to creep into people's kits.

"That Others May Zoom"

KyCAP

make sure to specify the font for unofficial is official font thought.. :P

When you're done, send a copy to Rick Greenhut.   This looks PRO and he's a good inlet and positively working on the image at the National Level.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

RiverAux

Pylon, you forgot the symbol currently found on the Ground Team reference text.  Don't know how to copy it here but it is the blue AF wings symbol cradling the "old" command patch (CAP in the shield, USAFAux in the lower rocker) -- The kicker is that the command patch symbol is all blue with silver letters!

--jimmy -- in your guide I can't get behind the red version of that symbol.  Can't think of a time when that would be approriate.  All black and white is fine and I could live with the blue due to the AF association. 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: RiverAux on December 10, 2008, 03:43:20 AM
--jimmy -- in your guide I can't get behind the red version of that symbol.  Can't think of a time when that would be approriate.  All black and white is fine and I could live with the blue due to the AF association. 

Oh, I agree, it's hideous :)

This "project" was more along the lines of what could be done and a response to not necessarily providing more regulation around a logo or emblem, but more guidance on how to use it.  Just having some fun really.  Heck, even the typeface selected was off the cuff.  I'm sure that there is a more suitable one out there - but it was handy.

From the feedback I've recieved so far it sounds like I should continue the project and see what comes of it...

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: RiverAux on December 10, 2008, 03:43:20 AM

Typically, one-color printing is done in either black or blue ink. The nice thing about the traditional emblem is that it's only two colors.

The old CAP Bookstore business cards were two-color cards, by the way -- the only red was in the propeller on the seal. Everything else was blue. And that was the SEAL!

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

JAFO78

JAFO

A.Member

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 09, 2008, 08:12:39 PM

Definitely keep going on this.  Thanks for the initiative.  Good looking start to the document!  :clap:
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

alamrcn

Like it! Please continue to evolve this project, and let's hope National latch's on!

I also agree with the all-red version, blue or black on white seems sufficient. The font information is great, never knew about it. Is it a free font for download somewhere? I'd host the TT file or whatever on the CAP Patches site - as well as your publication, of course.

Do you think "thread" color would be a good addition to the color chart? There is an industry standard there as well - I'll reference this website...
http://www.usafpatches.com/palette.shtml
Interestingly, the Institute of Heraldry does not have a comparable red listed as being used by the USAF.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

jimmydeanno

Quote from: alamrcn on December 12, 2008, 04:42:18 PM
Like it! Please continue to evolve this project, and let's hope National latch's on!

I also agree with the all-red version, blue or black on white seems sufficient. The font information is great, never knew about it. Is it a free font for download somewhere? I'd host the TT file or whatever on the CAP Patches site - as well as your publication, of course.

Do you think "thread" color would be a good addition to the color chart? There is an industry standard there as well - I'll reference this website...
http://www.usafpatches.com/palette.shtml
Interestingly, the Institute of Heraldry does not have a comparable red listed as being used by the USAF.

I actually made up most of the information in the thing.  So please don't think any of it's official.

For the colors, I just did an eyedrop on the existing colors in the version of the emblem that I liked and named them.

For the typeface, I literally just picked a font and made justification around it. 

Again, nothing in this is official or has any prior historical justification behind it - just the ideas of a madman <-Me :)

My goal was just to put something out there to show what the possibilities were.  The thread was talking about creating more regulation around it, so I put the "guidance" spin on it.

It would be helpful if there were an official document like this that was available to us so if we wanted things made, or were creating webpages, etc we could use the "proper" colors, etc. 

Many companies have a guide like this for the use of their logos, it includes colors, etc.  I figured since most of us are volunteers and not professional marketers or branders (including myself), providing example guidance for webpages, etc would also be beneficial.

I'll keep working on it and see if I can modify it to be more cohesive, give more examples, etc.

BuckeyeDEJ

Traditionally, the type used in DoD letterheads and other similar collateral has been either a version of Copperplate or Helvetica.

CAP used Helvetica when the type on the seal was reversed in the mid-1980s, but when the seal was digitized at National Headquarters, I think they picked a Windows-only approximation, like Arial (and it shows).

Used to be, a camera-ready seal was included in regulation. That's the seal I retraced to develop the file I gave AFNS (telltale sign: eagle's gold without feather outlines).