The Beginnings of a Style Guide

Started by JC004, May 12, 2010, 10:22:47 AM

JC004

Quote from: A.Member on May 23, 2010, 05:07:41 PM
As JC004, indicates the other problems as well.   Just because something is used does not mean it's being used correctly or that it was ever reviewed and approved by the correct authority.

That's really the point of this thread.  It's not necessarily a unit's fault for using various logos and all because there is no official style guide and 900-2 is seriously lacking.  Now, the spacing/proportion issue IS addressed in 900-2 but this very same logo that is used on the Arkansas Wing letterhead has been personally sighted by me on various NHQ-produced items. 

Now NHQ is using the Triangle Thingy too (without any guidance to the field, but they have put it on the graphics page for us to use and MOCK).  Luckily, basically nobody else is using it (no wing web sites, as I've mentioned) and there is a pretty universal hatred of the Triangle Thingy by most anyone I mention it to, whether it's on the threads here, on PMs, by e-mail, in person...

We lack clear guidance on the issue as a whole and that's why I created this thread.  It is also very clear that NHQ has been part of the issue, especially by using things like on the wing letterhead here.  Maybe the person who made it took it RIGHT OUT OF one of the NHQ PowerPoints or something, figuring, "if NHQ uses it, it must be fine."

Here's another great example of the problem.  The CAPabilities guide thingy.  On the front, a Photoshopped version of the command patch, non-standardized.  On the back, the CAP emblem WITHOUT the Air Force Auxiliary wording.  There's something that is set in 900-2 and NHQ produces something different:
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Capabilities_Handbook_Low_.pdf

Here's a corporate seal used by NHQ which is also wrong:
https://ntc.cap.af.mil/ops/hls/resources.cfm

EDIT:  Here's one right here!  NHQ using the unauthorized variation of the symbol that we're talking about:
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_university/
Now what is Arkansas Wing supposed to think?

RiverAux

CAP-USAF has a chance to comment on all CAP regulations and I'm sure that if a CAP regulation was in serious violation of some applicable AF regulation, they would do something about it (just like they did with the TPU).

JC004

In this case, the reg is not in the wrong.  The PRACTICE that has been going on for many years is wrong.

so...LMAO...check this out...

Here were we have three CAP logos used randomly all in a line on the National web site.   BAHAHAHA

[smg id=178]

High Speed Low Drag

And here is the email that was sent out yesterday
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Capt Rivera on May 21, 2010, 10:27:32 PM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on May 13, 2010, 11:16:50 PM
It would end there if the emblems on that site were of better quality. And better quality versions exist!
Can you post a link to them? Thanks
Lemme know if you have a problem accessing... and know this is VERY incomplete, but it's a start:
http://www.flwg.us/page63315224.aspx

So far, there are three seal variants and the FLWG emblem -- the seals are B/W, color and color with serif type (like Vanguard's using now).

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

JC004

You need a password to access the graphics?

BuckeyeDEJ

AHA! Apparently so. Some things are behind a password, while others aren't. I was thinking maybe the budding graphics page would be unprotected. I'll check into it.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

JC004

Well if these graphics meet standards, we wouldn't want them floating out there, would we?  It would totally mess up the fun of looking for new and different graphics in use across everything - brochures, web sites, posters, cheesy graphics...

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: JC004 on June 02, 2010, 07:18:50 AM
Well if these graphics meet standards, we wouldn't want them floating out there, would we?  It would totally mess up the fun of looking for new and different graphics in use across everything - brochures, web sites, posters, cheesy graphics...
To quote Kim Jong-Il from "Team America: World Police," "you're breaking my...." You know the rest.

Besides, you guys like that triangle, don't you? :)

JC004

Well it is kind of fun, in a certain way, guessing what kinda logo is gonna be used next.   >:D

DakRadz

http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=14506

Look at that. The very National Board, my friends..

I'm on the bandwagon, with all of you here!

Kill the daggum Triangle-Thingy- I'll do the time for it, if someone else can commit the act  >:D

JC004

This one, of course, does not match the other.   :clap:

DakRadz

Quote from: JC004 on June 16, 2010, 01:09:41 PM

Wow. Already they've created a variation... When will it end?

You want to see branding? Check my signature. Most senior members should be able to pick out what I'm referring to  ::)

Smithsonia

May I infect this conversation with some Ol' Pro ideas.

1. Write everyday. Not just twitter or facebook reactions but true writing. Put down on paper your thoughts, craft your emails, garner your opinions, substantiate your ideas, make powerful your expression, own your interior monologue, practice your writing, teach and converse
about your skills, husband your work over time for comparison, study in depth the writings of those you admire, perfect your own writers voice, and incorporate this knowledge into the best writing that you can accomplish.

2. Never underestimate the power of proper expression. Never write in a sloppy manner. Always strive to do better - to become the possessor of an editorially honed mind. It is the most powerful mind there is...

3. Write and read longer works. Suspend your opinions to a proper conclusion. Write actively and invite the reader down your path of story. Capture the minds of others with your narrative. AND, always know what you are doing.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

DakRadz

Quote from: Smithsonia on June 16, 2010, 04:45:43 PM
May I infect this conversation with some Ol' Pro ideas.

1. Write everyday. Not just twitter or facebook reactions but true writing. Put down on paper your thoughts, craft your emails, garner your opinions, substantiate your ideas, make powerful your expression, own your interior monologue, practice your writing, teach and converse
about your skills, husband your work over time for comparison, study in depth the writings of those you admire, perfect your own writers voice, and incorporate this knowledge into the best writing that you can accomplish.

2. Never underestimate the power of proper expression. Never write in a sloppy manner. Always strive to do better and to ecome the possessor of an editorially honed mind. It is the most powerful mind there is...

3. Write and read longer works. Suspend your opinions to a proper conclusions. Write actively and invite the reader down your path of story. Capture the minds of others with your narrative. AND, always know what you are doing.
While this is good advice sir, I'm not sure how it affects branding. No offense intended, just seems... really off topic.

DakRadz

Quote from: DakRadz on June 16, 2010, 01:28:34 PM

You want to see branding? Check my signature. Most senior members should be able to pick out what I'm referring to  ::)

Okay, so I had a phone number there- it was NOT mine. It was the number from the song "Jenny" with an attached Atlanta area code, which was not even my own...  :clap: Thanks for looking out for me though, Mods. Honestly appreciated, with no sarcasm.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but the earliest I can find of the Triangle thingy is March 2009- before, it was the seal, which is recognizable, accepted, traditional, and steady. And apparently the Thingy has disappeared from a recent issue only to reappear and/or be anticipated to reappear. How's that for inconsistency and brand confusion?

Smithsonia

^^^^^^
DakRadz;
Fair question... the topic is style guide. The subject includes branding. The solution is better minds put to the task of better expression (which includes branding). It eliminates confusion. It eliminates things that appear (and often are) written by committees. "Committee-fication" of expression is a major problem with what is now expressed inside CAP. Not that Committees can NOT participate. It just shouldn't look like they did. Corporate speak is not clear speak. Committee-fication occurs when everyone has an idea, wants to effect the work, but is a matter of ego stroking and not clear and potent expression.

More and better writers leads to less dithering and blathering by committee.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

JC004

Quote from: DakRadz on June 16, 2010, 05:02:40 PM
Quote from: DakRadz on June 16, 2010, 01:28:34 PM

I'm sure this has been discussed, but the earliest I can find of the Triangle thingy is March 2009- before, it was the seal, which is recognizable, accepted, traditional, and steady. And apparently the Thingy has disappeared from a recent issue only to reappear and/or be anticipated to reappear. How's that for inconsistency and brand confusion?

I think they might have done that because the name of the magazine is NOT "VALUNTEER" as others have pointed out here MANY times.