The Beginnings of a Style Guide

Started by JC004, May 12, 2010, 10:22:47 AM

JC004

This insanity of the logos and other identity crisis crap must end

We need one, cohesive, recognizable visual identity.

I'd like to put together the beginnings of a draft style guide. 

I propose:
1.  Keep the corporate seal for certain things.  One black and white version, one color.  When should this be used?

2.  The triangle logo GOES.  It has NO purpose.  It dies.  NOW.  That's the thing up top here.

3.  Kill either the emblem or command patch.  Keep ONE for use as the main logo. 

4.  Standard Pantone colors.  Anybody wanna pick 'em?

5.  Need standardized layout of the logos with any other elements (taglines, unit logos, etc.)

6.  What to do with the Air Force symbol being used with CAP logos?  Keep it?  Kill it?  If we keep it, we should restrict it to ONE logo standard with the symbol (command patch or seal).  When would it be appropriate for use?

The usage of the logos (seal, command patch, and any others) need to be defined in how they are used on:
- letterhead, envelopes, business cards, etc.
- web sites
- publications (including marketing collateral - posters, brochures, fact sheets, etc.)
- clothing items (including uniforms such as the golf shirt)
- signage
- aircraft and ground vehicles

The colors, typeface, placement with other elements, size, etc. need to be defined.  Usage of "U.S. Air Force Auxiliary" (and any variations) should be addressed in the style guide as well.

Second tier logos should also be addressed.  That is, logos like we have for DDR, the NOC, etc.

NC Hokie

NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

JC004

If we could fold the start in that thread in and go for the whole visual identity beyond the emblem, we'd be in business.

It must end:

a2capt

I might just add, in quick- if this were one of those tests, "pick the one least like the others".

The Triangle thing would have to be it.  It does need to go. I agree there.

But, wow. Never realized there were so many variants of what amount to the same thing.

JC004

It's not that these are just a bunch of member-generated images either.  I've seen many of these variations on National-produced stuff over the years (yes, I even paid attention to branding as a wee cadet). 

Heck, Greenhut's marketing guide that is on the National web site...that has 3 different logos in it.  (it also violates text/logo placement for letterhead in 10-1, but ya know...)

Then there's 900-2...don't get me started...

Look!  We can't even decide on black stars or white stars on the b/w seal!  WTH?!

ZigZag911

The "triangle thing" is deeply rooted in CAP's history, from our origins in the Office of Civil Defense during World War 2.

Eliminating it strikes me as throwing our heritage out the window.

Defining & limiting its use seems more reasonable. Perhaps it should be used only within CAP, not in public relations or recruiting type venues.

a2capt

The "Triangle thing" as it stands alone, without any other features - and having the words imprinted in the triangle, further distorting it. It's hard to read, it's unnecessary, and our roots and heritage are displayed in a fine manner in the already existing logo/seal.

The Identity Crisis Needs to Stop. Here. and Now.

Overly graphic, so-busy-you-think-a-UFO-crashed van wraps, crap on a race car, logos that look like spelling changes when used in a mast head.

Ugh.

JC004

Maybe I was not clear about the "triangle thing."

I mean that red prop with gray triangle, "Civil" (prop piece) "Air" (prop piece) "Patrol"

That is not deeply rooted.  That showed up on the scene suddenly and started going on Annual Reports and other crap.  The triangle with prop is in EVERY logo here and I do not propose that we eliminate that.  I propose (perhaps should demand) that we eliminate this random thing that showed up and EVERYBODY HATES. 

a2capt

^^^ Exactly, thats the one I mean, too.

Spaceman3750

IMHO we should standardize our domain as well. EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE goes under cap.gov. Period. Wing websites could be, for example:

il.cap.gov

Squadrons, a bit longer but better from a branding and management perspecitve:

[charter number].il.cap.gov

Eservices: members.cap.gov or eservices.cap.gov

Our web identity needs to be standardized. Squadron and wing websites should have the same look and feel of the national one. We need to start looking like one organization online, not several hundred with coincidental naming.

WheelsUp

Quote from: ZigZag911 on May 12, 2010, 04:25:18 PM
The "triangle thing" is deeply rooted in CAP's history, from our origins in the Office of Civil Defense during World War 2.

Eliminating it strikes me as throwing our heritage out the window.

Defining & limiting its use seems more reasonable. Perhaps it should be used only within CAP, not in public relations or recruiting type venues.

I personally like some of the older logos/graphics - it's our history! What we have now are too many corporate seals (the round ones), as posted toward the top of this discussion. Those can certainly go through a consolidation process...1 color, 1 BW.

Keep one (and only one) of the several command patch versions (without the Pineda-era "U.S." on it)...and if people really, really want to use the newer USAF blue bird/star device for local wings and such, the regs must be standardized throughout.

It can be done...it is possible to go from the 20 logos seen earlier to about 4 or 5.

Question is, will CAPNHQ do that?
ES Training Officer/Mission Scanner

JC004

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 12, 2010, 04:47:45 PM
IMHO we should standardize our domain as well. EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE goes under cap.gov. Period. Wing websites could be, for example:

il.cap.gov

Squadrons, a bit longer but better from a branding and management perspecitve:

[charter number].il.cap.gov

Eservices: members.cap.gov or eservices.cap.gov

Our web identity needs to be standardized. Squadron and wing websites should have the same look and feel of the national one. We need to start looking like one organization online, not several hundred with coincidental naming.

Absolutely!  That is part of my plan.  I wanted to start with logos and colors.  Join us?

Please, folks.  Support the cause.  It's for the children.  Do you want our cadets growing up learning bad marketing practices that they'll take into business with them? 

Add the KILL logo to your profile!
[img]http://colganmarketing.com/kill.png[/img]

NC Hokie

I think we should start with what Ma Blue has here: http://www.af.mil/art/mediagallery.asp?galleryID=5187

From there, do the following:

1) Add the B&W seal with white stars to the mix, as it most closely resembles the color version.

2) Forbid the creation of any other logo using the Hap Arnold wings, and reserve the one on that page for CAP-USAF use only.  Those wings are a trademarked property of the USAF, and we have no business using them as long as CAP maintains any corporate identity apart from the Air Force.

3) Add the roundell, and restrict its usage to aircraft only.

4) Determine the pantone colors and RGB equivalents for each logo so that they can be reproduced accurately on all publications, web documents, decals, etc.

5) Ruthlessly eliminate the usage of any other logos besides approved unit and activity logos.  Facilitate this by creating an official letterhead in both MS Word and PDF formats, with elements spaced according to CAPR 10-1.  The MS Word format should be a template, with a predefined location for adding a unit or activity logo to the right of the address.

That would be a good start. ;D
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

WheelsUp

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 12, 2010, 04:47:45 PM

There are units out there with Yahoo pages. This has to end.  It looks like doodoo and makes CAP look like...Yahoos.

JC004

Quote from: WheelsUp on May 12, 2010, 05:15:03 PM
There are units out there with Yahoo pages. This has to end.  It looks like doodoo and makes CAP look like...Yahoos.

:clap:  An army (air force?) of members supporting proper branding and marketing, we can get there together!

WheelsUp

So is there a contact at NHQ who would take interest in such a suggestion? Or would it most likely find its way to File 13?

JC004

Quote from: WheelsUp on May 12, 2010, 05:24:26 PM
So is there a contact at NHQ who would take interest in such a suggestion? Or would it most likely find its way to File 13?

I have a secret support structure building up in the background.  Birds.  If others can get your birds to help too, please do!

WheelsUp

I may be just a voice in the woods at my location...perhaps several letters from members nationwide would clue in NHQ.

Or get us all kicked out.

a2capt

The web domain/server/hosting issue is a whole lot more involved. There's cites of "we can't do it and comply with whatever it is to be a .gov TLD" or anemic IT staff makes you just say screw it and get your own hosting, and of course, you can't get DNS changed because then you have to deal with potentially similar attitudes at that point, etc. Thats a whole 'nother thread.

Right now, I've got the same problem. After waiting nearly 5 years for PHP/MySQL, I'm going to just use something else and combine both what we get from Wing with a commercial provider. Every time I offer to help, it falls on deaf ears. They put out another PA appointing someone to assist, help, whatever, nothing ever happens. Life goes on. Even Geocities was more flexible in some ways.

jeders

Quote from: NC Hokie on May 12, 2010, 05:12:18 PM
I think we should start with what Ma Blue has here: http://www.af.mil/art/mediagallery.asp?galleryID=5187

From there, do the following:

1) Add the B&W seal with white stars to the mix, as it most closely resembles the color version.

2) Forbid the creation of any other logo using the Hap Arnold wings, and reserve the one on that page for CAP-USAF use only.  Those wings are a trademarked property of the USAF, and we have no business using them as long as CAP maintains any corporate identity apart from the Air Force.

3) Add the roundell, and restrict its usage to aircraft only.

4) Determine the pantone colors and RGB equivalents for each logo so that they can be reproduced accurately on all publications, web documents, decals, etc.

5) Ruthlessly eliminate the usage of any other logos besides approved unit and activity logos.  Facilitate this by creating an official letterhead in both MS Word and PDF formats, with elements spaced according to CAPR 10-1.  The MS Word format should be a template, with a predefined location for adding a unit or activity logo to the right of the address.

That would be a good start. ;D

+1

Have to agree with pretty much everything there. Unfortunately it all makes sense, so it'll never be done.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse