Main Menu

Requiring More of Units

Started by Earhart1971, February 07, 2006, 11:20:59 PM

PWK-GT

Quote from: arajca on February 11, 2006, 12:28:08 AM
I'm not seeing how "report it to the Wing Finance Officer" equals "Give the money to Wing".
While it was not stated to me that it HAS to be shared with Wing, the thought that they'd  "get their mitts on it--and you'd hope to keep some of it" is based-- I think --on past practices in such a case. Now the question I have for the legal eagles is this: Can Wing make a supplemental 'policy' to proscribe how this money gets distributed? If so, what good is the larger, broader policy? The end result is the same unmotivated position.
I'd love to hear more on this one. And what was the date of this current policy, CAPER173-4? That may explain the transitional 'confusion' of what actually gets done.
"Is it Friday yet"

SarDragon

Quote from: RvrPk01 on February 11, 2006, 04:46:28 AM
Quote from: arajca on February 11, 2006, 12:28:08 AM
I'm not seeing how "report it to the Wing Finance Officer" equals "Give the money to Wing".
While it was not stated to me that it HAS to be shared with Wing, the thought that they'd  "get their mitts on it--and you'd hope to keep some of it" is based-- I think --on past practices in such a case. Now the question I have for the legal eagles is this: Can Wing make a supplemental 'policy' to proscribe how this money gets distributed? If so, what good is the larger, broader policy? The end result is the same unmotivated position.
I'd love to hear more on this one. And what was the date of this current policy, CAPER173-4? That may explain the transitional 'confusion' of what actually gets done.
Do you mean proscribe (to condemn or forbid as harmful or unlawful ) or prescribe (to lay down as a guide, direction, or rule of action ) here. Big difference.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

groundpounder

All of the new financial regulations are due to the audit compliance problems that NHQ has been having. I have found nothing that in any way says that units can't keep the money. The auditors cant give a solid opinion if there are units out there reporting huge cash balances that are not verified by the auditors.

Mostly a moot point anyway as very few units ever get more than $5k donated in any one year. Lets not get all wrapped up around the axle about something that does not really affect us anyway.

Earhart1971

Quote from: groundpounder on February 11, 2006, 01:29:57 PM

Mostly a moot point anyway as very few units ever get more than $5k donated in any one year. Lets not get all wrapped up around the axle about something that does not really affect us anyway.

That again is why I called for a "consolidated" Squadron, one with several Squadron Commander caliber people that are on a staff that can sit down, and plan the success of the unit.

I'm talking about several L/Col or Majors on the staff, who might be ex-cadets.  A rotation every year to a new squadron commander to avoid the burnout.

Then a Public Relations Staff member, that can speak in public.

Then you can create a unit that has a chance to raise funds and have a great program.

Then get a list of companies in your area that fly Corp Aircraft, and ask for sponsorship, let them advertise their sponsor ship on the tail of their aircraft.

Or get a Car Dealer that likes Airplanes, there are plenty of them around, and they might like the visibility of helping CAP.

Rich people with an Aviation interest, might like the bragging rights of helping create a CAP Unit from the ground up, get together and approach them.

The other idea I have is find a Local Sheriff that would like the idea of sponsoring a volunteer ground team.  To have a standing ground team rather than call for volunteers off the street, I believe would be a great asset to the Sheriff, and they do have to run for reelection every 4 years.

Sheriffs Departments across the land on a regular basis call for volunteers to search for missing persons, why not call the Sheriff and say sponsor us, (they have grant money and homeland security money) and let us be the first you call for SAR Air or Ground Search.

Have joint training and show the Sheriff how it could work, recruit Sheriff Deputies and let them take part in the great Leadership Education that CAP offers.