Survival Tips (Ya' never know when ya' might need them)

Started by Rob Sherlin, November 17, 2008, 07:20:30 PM

Rob Sherlin

I would think it would be better to NOT take the Benadryl, and know to identify Poison Oak, Ivy, and Sumac (Fall can be a problem because it could be just a stem, yet still produce irritating oils if you come in contact with it), and stay away from it. I asked about Benadryl , because I thought it would only do good if you inhale smoke from the oils. I didn't think it would help with skin irritation....

Never the less!...Don't let the Cadets scratch! (I'm sure you all know that)
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

SJFedor

Benadryl isn't gonna do much for the skin reaction, as it's not so much a histamine release as it is contact dermatitis (inflammation/irritation of the skin). Topical steroids, or in severe cases, oral steroids, are the optimal treatment for it.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

ThorntonOL

And DON'T ASSUME everyone knows what it looks like.
I still have problems identifying it and almost touched it when I was practicing for 4-H's forestry program.
The extension guy was leading us around Bald Eagle State Park and as a trick question asked us what a small "seedling" was, I bent over and was about to turn a leaf so I could look at it when he said don't touch it and explained that it was poison ivy. He had assumed everyone knew what it looked like. I'm still picked on for that one but at least he makes sure everyone knows what it looks like now and doesn't assume everyone does.
(I use to do 4-H in NY and PA and the only National event I didn't do through PA was Poultry Science and Avian bowl.)
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

PHall

Quote from: SJFedor on April 10, 2009, 01:18:10 PM
Benadryl isn't gonna do much for the skin reaction, as it's not so much a histamine release as it is contact dermatitis (inflammation/irritation of the skin). Topical steroids, or in severe cases, oral steroids, are the optimal treatment for it.

There is Benadryl cream that you apply to the skin. Works just great on stuff like poison oak and ivy, insect bites and such.

Rob Sherlin

I agree not to asume everyone knows how to identify these plants. That's probably one of the first things that should be gone over when going into areas where you might come into contact with any of them (be extra careful in the Fall seasons). The last thing you need is for someone to break out at the very begining of an outing (they'll usually scratch when you're not looking even though you say not to, and it spreads). I never knew about the Benedryl cream.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

jimmydeanno

So I guess the next survival tip here would be "Leaves of three, leave them be.  Leaves of four, eat some more."

Poison Ivy and Poison Oak both have three leaves originating from the same point on the plant.  So, if the plant has "three leaves" leave it alone.

Fortunately, poison ivy in both the spring and the fall turns a nice maroon/red color - nature's way of saying "leave me alone."

I suppose that you could bring a goat with you wherever you may go, it is their favorite meal. 

But, I don't have to worry about any of that, I'm not allergic to any of it.  I could bathe in the oil and not break out. (not that I want to try...)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Rob Sherlin

You forgot the "berries white, poisonous sight !" part. I mentioned fall because after they turn red and green, I,ve seen the leaves fall and just leave a stem (which still carries the oils). I too, seem to not be bothered by it (I've fallen into batches of the stuff several times), but it's not a pretty or comfortable sight, when I've seen others who aren't so lucky get it. Never the less, you definitely dont want anyone to try to burn it in a fire, inhaleing the smoke could be an entirely different reaction than just itching.

Rob Sherlin

I just downloaded and started reading the ground team manual, and it says not to use anti-histamine lotions or spray on poison oak or ivy and such, because it just spreads the rash. Could it be that it may cause relief, but make things worse at the same time? After all, it really doesn't get the oils from the plant off, or out of your skin.

openmind

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 14, 2009, 06:22:51 PM
I just downloaded and started reading the ground team manual, and it says not to use anti-histamine lotions or spray on poison oak or ivy and such, because it just spreads the rash. Could it be that it may cause relief, but make things worse at the same time? After all, it really doesn't get the oils from the plant off, or out of your skin.

It really should just have a caveat that you don't do anything to an affected site until you have THOROUGHLY cleaned it with lots of cold water.  (Bonus points for remembering to clean exposed clothing before wearing it again!)

If you haven't THOROUGHLY removed the oil from the affected skin, then the application of any topical treatment will spread the oil around, likely exposing greater areas of skin than before.

Simple steps:

1. Rinse with Cold Water.  Really rinse, like you just stepped out of a sewer or something.  Honestly, you can't overdo this unless your skin is pruning.

2. Wash with Cold Water and mild soap.  Use as little soap as possible, and only after you have rinsed thoroughly.  If you aren't SURE you have rinsed most of the oil off, then just skip the soap.  Soap on the oil can make the whole ordeal worse.

3. Apply any topical treatments deemed necessary.

4. Remember to wash clothing before wearing again.  And exercise care in handling the clothes prior to washing them.

openmind

ol'fido

That's why I said in my original post to wash with Dawn dish soap in order to remove the oils. The antihistimine helps to prevent a mild rash. If you are having a severe reaction, the only solution is a steroid shot or a Z-pac of steroid pills or both. I speak from experience here folks. I can normally spot poison ivy in the wild, but I was trimming some trees in my front yard and the other plants concealed the fact that I was rubbing up against poison ivy. It was a hot day in June 08 and I would stop every so often and wipe my face with my shirt. By the next evening my face was a little puffy and by the morning after that I woke up with one eye swollen shut and the other nearly so. The advice I give here is straight from my MD and by the way I got both the shot and the Z-pac. It was 4am the next morning before I could get to sleep with all those steroids in me and I was off work the whole week.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Rob Sherlin

OUCH!!! I'd have to say it wasn't a good start of summer for you that year.

ol'fido

Believe me. You have no idea how bad my summer was.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Major Lord

Benedryl ( dipenhydramine) is not particularly effective on Poison Oak, either as a topical, orally or parenterally ( injection) but it may help the pain a bit, and will help a sufferer sleep. If the victim has any respiratory issues, don't give benedryl; it can cause a thickening of lung fluids and make the problem much worse. After thoroughly washing the area with cold water and mild soap , apply cortisone cream. After the affected area is clean it won't spread to others or other body parts by contact, but the severity of the allergic reaction can cause a kind of allergic melt -down even after the exposure is long past. ( contaminated clothes are still dangerous) a Cortisone injection or an oral course of prednisone will generally get it under control fast. In some cases, an allergic reaction to Poison Oak can be life threatening, and a person who knows in advance that they are very sensitive should ask their doctor for an anaphylaxis kit ( an epi-pen and a couple of antihistamine tablets) Inhaling smoke from burning plants ( kids, don't try smoking this one!) can kill you in short order and create a genuine medical emergency. Consider the Epi pen if the you break out in hives and have difficulty breathing. anaphylaxis can proceed very quickly, so be prepared for basic life support (CPR)

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."