Accelerated Flight Training

Started by DBlair, April 29, 2009, 06:04:31 AM

DBlair

I've seen a few places that offer accelerated flight training whereby they offer a discounted package price and the ability to finish up a private pilot license (or other ratings) in something like 2-3 weeks.

I'm looking to finish up my PPL (after a long break) and am looking for the least expensive way to do it. I was wondering what everyone thought of these programs, and also if anyone knew of any CFIs or flight schools in the USA that offer such programs.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

es_g0d

About a year ago I worked at one of the more (in)famous "accelerated flight training" schools.  I did it part time, my full time job had already put me more than a thousand miles from my family so I wanted to do plenty of flying on the weekends.  (I certainly didn't need the paltry salary or any more single engine time)

I got that, and an eyeful of a whole lot more.

If you want the CERTIFICATE only, with no real TRAINING, you might consider one of these schools.  If you want to be a well-trained and safe pilot, you'll need additional training AFTER you get your certificate.  Let me put it to you this way: if you came to me for a Form 5, and I learned you obtained your Private / Instrument / Commercial through the school THAT I TAUGHT AT, I would be especially thorough in your checkride.  These schools teach to the absolute minimum of the practical test standard.  For myself and for those I teach, that's not a large enough safety margin.

Message me offline if you'd like to know about the particular school. 
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

DG

When I was doing my instrument rating, years ago, I asked around of experienced pilots I knew and admired to find a good instructor.  I asked them to recommend a CFII, and I asked them who was the best.

I went with their recommendation, and I got the best flight instruction I have seen in 40 years of flying.

At the same time, several of my friends who were seeking the instrument rating at the time went for the cheapest and quickest way to go.

About half way through my training, my friends were seeking out the easiest designated examiner they could find.  And were getting their certificates.

I on the other hand was being worked real hard.  Real hard.

And I knew I was better than the guys getting their ratings.

I pleaded with my instructor to finish me up and send me to the flight test.  I begged and schemed.

He wouldn't budge.  Not a chance.  He would not compromise his principles or methods.  He couldn't, if he was the best.  Which he was.

It got so bad, I considered changing instructors.

But I stuck with him.  And that was one of the smartest things I ever have done.

Now, as to those guys who got the sign off and did it on the cheap, it is many years later.  Do you think they are on the same level of pilot skills?  If you said yes, try again.

Rarely do they fly in IMC.  And that is a good thing, because they know their limitations.  And their confidence is nil.  And their skills are poor.  Generally, you would say they are dangerous.

On the other hand, I am comfortable and safe in IMC in all but embedded thunderstorms or ice.  In our G1000, with Nexrad, even dispersed embedded thunderstorms are managable, so that the limitation becomes a squall line of thunderstorms or ice.

So Scott is right.  If all you want is a piece of paper, get it the cheapest way you can.  But remember, you get what you pay for.  And you may not know, ever, what you are missing.  Or what you could be, as a pilot.

If you want to fly, on the other hand, ask around for a really good CFI, and ask, "Who is the best?"

Then go that way.

If, that is, s/he will take you on as her/his student.

flynd94

buyer beware, you get what you pay for......  I don't have much to say about "accelerated flight training".  They train you to only pass the test and, don't care if you leave there a well rounded pilot.

My advice, ask around and, find a decent CFI.  You will be much better off, plus I don't want to be out looking for you in the future
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quoteif you came to me for a Form 5, and I learned you obtained your Private / Instrument / Commercial through the school THAT I TAUGHT AT, I would be especially thorough in your checkride

Might I suggest that being
Quoteespecially thorough in your checkride
... be the norm...   ;)

heliodoc

After going through one of those established FBO flight schools, I thought I'd try my hand at an accelerated school in the Desert SW/ Great Basin area....

Here's how I made my decision:

My FBO had me running through 8 CFI's between my INST and COMML and probably a combined approx 70 hours each which I consider right in the ballpark for the "average learner " at 45 years of age and sage.........  when the 75 to 80 hour mark was fast approaching on COMML side, remember I did my INST first and so my flying  precision was more 'clean" shall I say....

I was on the eighth and hopefully final Instructor (another regional bound) as was in the day.... I decided to dial the 1-800- WHAAA number of an accelerated school.

Guess what???    1 hour with one of those guys and the CFI said "what's the problem here?"  we flew back and he sked me for right away ....'let's get you done with is COMML so you can be off to the MULTI day after tomorrow!"

So you can take whatever info away and MAYBE aloow these guys to tell you all those horror stories about CFI mills and pilot mills...  one can either start or finish with these folks.

Luv to enter the CAP fray about criticisms about the accelerateds, but, I think CAP has problems of its own when a pilot come from one State and enters another and has to ride another 15+hours with THAT STATEs CAP CFI's and the factor was I was already Form 5'd in the G1000 and had 20 hours........  All out of pocket ...NO SAREX's, NO AFAM's < no rides on the Air Force.....

When CAP's house gets cleaned up.... I may believe some of the operators here about the accelerateds.....BUT until then...Everyone has to start somewhere and remember ALL CAP instructors did not come from perfect FBO flight instruction nor PERFECT CAP CFI flight instruction.

Do the homework and investigate..... NOT ALL will just give you a certificate...some do REALLY actually teach......HARD to believe here on this forum...but there are good ones \out there

DG

Quote from: heliodoc on June 17, 2009, 10:27:45 PM

My FBO had me running through 8 CFI's between my INST and COMML and probably a combined approx 70 hours each which I consider right in the ballpark for the "average learner " at 45 years of age and sage.........  when the 75 to 80 hour mark was fast approaching on COMML side, remember I did my INST first and so my flying  precision was more 'clean" shall I say....

I was on the eighth and hopefully final Instructor (another regional bound) as was in the day....

Why didn't you ask around for a good instructor who was not just some kid headed for the regionals?

Ask pilots you respect for "who is the best?"

They are out there.  And it won't be a kid headed for the regionals.  You can connect with the best.  But not if you just go up to the FBO and say teach me to fly.

That's how I met my worst instructor.  Instructor from hell.  They gave me to him when no one else would fly with him.

Reminds me of the time I saw a guy walk into the main Orvis in southern Vermont, and say "Outfit me."

Put a smile on that salesman's face.

heliodoc

Did ask

Not many ol salts in that FBO operation and as i remember one that was affiliated with CAP could not look at a watch to save his life to be on time and he was one of the senior instructors there...sooooooooooooo

It was a pipeline and alot of people got involved with it and more than likely suffered my same plight and did ask to teach me to fly..blah blah

Went with that accelerated program and would n't you know it even after the 8 folks, I was still confident enough to get done and I am still looking for real mentors for flying to brush up in my skills ....... only one I could trust in this area and he'has been with CAP for 40 + yrs

We alll have different operations where we live....  I took a chance on an accelerated school and was impressed by the quick analysis of my flying and got what needed to be done..DONE

I will still stick with what I had to say about CAP flt ops and there isn't many where I am at now that consider the respect until they realize the GOB club from 30 yrs ago is tiring out and there are plenty of us out there that have ID'd the problem and I would still consider more of the pros to be OUTSIDE of CAP

Spike

Quote from: heliodoc on June 18, 2009, 03:50:00 AM
............ I would still consider more of the pros to be OUTSIDE of CAP

Speaking for yourself of course.  CAP has many "pro's". 

capchiro

Having been involved in flight training in the military, I see a need to fly as much as possible, as often as possible, while training.  That way there is little time lost reviewing a lesson taken two weeks ago to get up to speed for the next lesson.  A lot of times the quickest (and therefor the cheapest) is in accelerated training.  Individual experiences vary, but accelerated doesn't neccessarily mean bad.  If you can't afford to fly at least four hours a month after you get your ticket, you might want to rethink the whole idea. Currency is exactly that..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Thrashed

Accelerated training is not bad, but it can be.  The "accerated" portion is good, the school and/or instructor can be the problem.  Your instructor will make the difference in any kind of training program.  Most accelerated schools are "ticket factories" as others have said.  Most flight instructors are there to build time and move on.  Find a good instructor anywhere you go.  You're the boss, not them.  It's your money, the school works for you.  If you don't like your instructor, "fire" him and get another.  Good luck.

-Rod
CFI-CFII-MEI-ATP

Save the triangle thingy

airdale

QuoteIf you don't like your instructor, "fire" him and get another.
Amen.  There is nothing more important than the instructor.
QuoteI would still consider more of the pros to be OUTSIDE of CAP
I don't know if that is true or not, but someone who has only CAP experience would not be my first recommendation for instruction towards a rating.  For PPL, it's less important but the fact that CAP is mostly short-hop fair-weather VFR  means that the long haul, hard IFR, ice, reroutes, real world cross country front-flying experience is rare to nonexistent.  My instrument instructor, for example, took me out into some light icing one day.  He had just flown in on his regular AMEL gig, seen the conditions firsthand,  and knew that the experience could be had safely.  Invaluable.  You're not likely to get that with an instructor who has only CAP experience even if you are not in a CAP airplane.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

QuoteMy instrument instructor, for example, took me out into some light icing one day.

Awesome experience... especially since you were in a plane approved for known icing  :o

DG

Quote from: airdale on June 26, 2009, 12:39:39 AM
QuoteIf you don't like your instructor, "fire" him and get another.
Amen.  There is nothing more important than the instructor.
QuoteI would still consider more of the pros to be OUTSIDE of CAP
I don't know if that is true or not, but someone who has only CAP experience would not be my first recommendation for instruction towards a rating.  For PPL, it's less important but the fact that CAP is mostly short-hop fair-weather VFR  means that the long haul, hard IFR, ice, reroutes, real world cross country front-flying experience is rare to nonexistent.  My instrument instructor, for example, took me out into some light icing one day.  He had just flown in on his regular AMEL gig, seen the conditions firsthand,  and knew that the experience could be had safely.  Invaluable.  You're not likely to get that with an instructor who has only CAP experience even if you are not in a CAP airplane.

You seem to be asserting that CAP instructors only have experience in CAP.

Many of my colleagues in the CAP instructor corps have significant experience outside CAP.

And in fact they are better than the young instructors "outside CAP" who are building time / biding time until they get called by the regionals.

airdale

QuoteAwesome experience... especially since you were in a plane approved for known icing
You're new here.  4:22 is not even close to the CAPTALK record for someone lobbing in an irrelevant comment.
QuoteYou seem to be asserting that CAP instructors only have experience in CAP.
Not at all.  Read again.  But, for example, I once overheard a very high time CAP-only CFII on the phone with Flight Service, totally ignorant of the concept of a void time clearance.   He was insisting on copying his clearance "now" even after telling the briefer he wouldn't be ready to depart for 30-40 minutes.  Note I said double-I.
QuoteMany of my colleagues in the CAP instructor corps have significant experience outside CAP.  And in fact they are better than the young instructors "outside CAP" who are building time / biding time until they get called by the regionals.
I couldn't agree more.  And I would add that the fact that they are doing it for the love of the game probably makes them even better as instructors and certainly more generous with their time in coaching, debriefs, etc.  We all benefit from this, not just students.

Its the nature of the game that the time builders work as instructors, but that does not create an obligation on the part an individual student to accept them.  That's why the students need to know to speak up.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Yes Sir, Sorry Sir, Premission to crawl back into my hole! (That is until I have a 74 posts) ::)

flynd94

Quote from: airdale on June 26, 2009, 08:15:31 PM
Not at all.  Read again.  But, for example, I once overheard a very high time CAP-only CFII on the phone with Flight Service, totally ignorant of the concept of a void time clearance.   He was insisting on copying his clearance "now" even after telling the briefer he wouldn't be ready to depart for 30-40 minutes.  Note I said double-I.

I have also flown with (or overheard other Airline operators) have no idea what an EDCT is?  We don't know everything and, if you aren't used to dealing with Void Times or EDCT's you might be confused
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

DG

Quote from: airdale on June 26, 2009, 08:15:31 PM

Airdale, you seem to have some chip on your shoulder.  Is it this topic?  Or is that the way you are?  Do yourself and your credibility a favor.  Don't be so judgmental, especially when you find yourself being critical in a negative manner.

You can copy a clearance any time.  The void times only come into play when you are asking for and receiving a release.  When ATC asks you if you are ready to go and tells you to hold for release, they are blocking out airspace specifically for you.  Hence the need for void times.  But only when you are released, not when you request and copy your clearance.

airdale

<thread drift>

QuoteYes Sir, Sorry Sir, Permission to crawl back into my hole! (That is until I have a 74 posts)
:) Actually, I think you have to be one of those multi-thousand post guys that appear to live here full-time before you can be really competitive in the CAPTALK game!  Certainly 74 doesn't do it either.

QuoteDon't be so judgmental, especially when you find yourself being critical in a negative manner.
I guess you had to be there.  It was a pretty sad performance for a CFII.  BTW, life is about making judgments -- as you did in your post.
QuoteYou can copy a clearance any time.
Technically yes.  FAA Order JO 7110.65S Par 4-3-4 governs.  But in my experience "Hold for Release" is not used in a situation like I described.  The pilot files on the phone, then is expected to contact ATC or the FSS again when in the airplane and nearer to being ready to go.  At that point, unless there is other IFR traffic around, he will be released with only a void time. YMMV

</thread drift>