A&P by way of OJT?

Started by Flying Pig, September 02, 2010, 02:24:55 AM

Flying Pig

Has anyone here obtained an A&P through On the job training?  I know it can be done. Just curious of experiences. I'm in a position where I have access to piston airplanes and turbine helicopters and we have our own in house maintenance. Our A&P / IA has agreed that since I routinely assist with all aspects of maintenance anyway on a daily basis I should start working and studying towered my license.  It will take a few years, but heck, I'm already doing it under his direction anyway. Engine changes, major components tracking and balancing, the works. At 2000 + hrs per year on the helos and 350+ on the plane, we do it all in our barn.  I know all the legalities of it, just curious about the experiences of the A&Ps here or if anyone here has done it without actually going to a formal school. We also have a large AP school where I am that could supplement what I can't do at work like fabric and wood, etc.

bosshawk

Rob: our aircraft manager received his A & P last spring, after serving a bunch of time in OJT.  He happened to have a degree in Maritime Engineering and served more than 20 years as a ship engineer for Exxon, but no formal schooling for aircraft.  Give me a call and I can put you in touch with him.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Trung Si Ma

Rob,

My A&P did it the OJT way.  3k hours of supervised time under an AI (logged), then to one of those one-week "polishing" schools before doing the written and getting his ticket.

Don
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it