Main Menu

Cheyenne Mountain

Started by Nikos, April 08, 2015, 11:08:12 PM

Spam

An understatement, for sure, and the cultural issues aren't all between nation states. I've worked with a Marine exchange officer fully cleared into and flying F-22s, for example; can't tell you how interesting some design meetings were with him! We have a number of allied officers currently flying and deployed with US units world wide, same issues today, and have multiple nations involved with system development and test.

My favorite "jointness" incident was a cockpit working group I was helping to run for a large multinational aircraft program four years ago, at which we were arguing over how to mechanize a helmet mounted cueing system alignment cross symbol (because the HMCS was extremely jittery and unusable). Without reaching agreement, the multinational pilot group took a break to cool off, and some humor seemed necessary to get these guys to lighten up. So, I took an action item form, walked over to the other ranking folks, and stated that LTC Mohammed, the Turkish F-4 driver (a nice guy, who usually never spoke up) had just submitted an AI on the absolute unacceptability of the alignment cross, and that Turkey would pull out of the program unless it was fixed.  (Stunned looks). I continued to pretend to read that "Turkey would accept, in place of a cross, a Crescent shaped symbol with Star, PBUH", and then innocently wondered if the Israeli pilot would then need a Star of David symbol, for their aircraft...?   I ended up having ten pounds of empty coffee cups and wadded paper thrown at my head, but the laughter broke the tension and we got some good work done afterwards.

In my experience, Joint/International programs and exchanges can be amazingly touchy, but can result in relationships which can bond together professionals across the globe, helping to prevent misunderstandings in times of crisis, when lives are at stake.  My own CAP Wing is set to engage with a neighboring Wing on a joint Exercise this weekend, which is a Good Thing to blend cultures and look across lines.

V/R,
Spam

PS, when that Stargate episode with the CSAF came out, in which he made comments about the F-22 and ABL being ready to fight the Goa'uld or whoever, all the F-22 program fans could talk about for weeks was, "when will Jumper get us the ECP to upgrade the Block 30 jets with Naquidah" (or however you spell the alien tech word).  Ah, nerdy engineers... "our nerds are smarter than your nerds"!!! (grin)

ColonelJack

Quote from: Spam on April 23, 2015, 06:01:28 AM
My own CAP Wing is set to engage with a neighboring Wing on a joint Exercise this weekend, which is a Good Thing to blend cultures and look across lines.

I hope you're not referring to Alabama.  Some culture lines just shouldn't be crossed.   ;D  ;)  >:D

(Disclaimer:  The above is a joke.  No disrespect is meant toward Alabama or Alabamians - besides, they say pretty much the same thing about Georgia.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

BillB

Jack....Aren't you glad there is a river separating Alabama and Georgia? Means Alabama won't invade Georgia, besides if they did they would get lost on I-275 at Atlanta.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Brit_in_CAP

In my experience, Joint/International programs and exchanges can be amazingly touchy, but can result in relationships which can bond together professionals across the globe, helping to prevent misunderstandings in times of crisis, when lives are at stake.

Wholly endorse that.  I have a friend who undertook Staff College in Kuwait along with some US Army O5s and their Kuwaiti / Saudi / Afghan colleagues; tricky at first but well worth the hard work.

#1 son went on a USMC MEU and the Lt Col in charge of the Infantry Batallion had undertaken Staff College in the UK.  Much to son's embarassment, the O5 latched on to him almost from the start and liked to chat about his year in the UK!   :)

The benefits far outweigh the costs as far as I'm concerned.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 23, 2015, 09:59:34 AM
My own CAP Wing is set to engage with a neighboring Wing on a joint Exercise this weekend, which is a Good Thing to blend cultures and look across lines.

I hope you're not referring to Alabama.  Some culture lines just shouldn't be crossed.   ;D  ;)  >:D

(Disclaimer:  The above is a joke.  No disrespect is meant toward Alabama or Alabamians - besides, they say pretty much the same thing about Georgia.)

Jack

Smile when you say that... outside the big cities there ain't much difference in culture far behind The Grits Curtain! :D

(2000th post... yay! Still won't get me a free cup of coffee...)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Майор Хаткевич

Yea, the post thing gets old after a while. Grats in 2k however.

Garibaldi

Quote from: BillB on April 23, 2015, 11:53:56 AM
Jack....Aren't you glad there is a river separating Alabama and Georgia? Means Alabama won't invade Georgia, besides if they did they would get lost on I-275 285 at Atlanta.

FTFY.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Garibaldi

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 23, 2015, 09:59:34 AM

Jack

I think of the Weird Al Song about Bama...

Tell me
How was I supposed to know we were both related?
Believe me, if I knew she was my cousin we never would have dated
What to do now? Should I go ahead and propose
And get hitched and have kids with eleven toes
And move to Alabama where that kind of thing is tolerated?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things