Taking Command- The smooth transition

Started by IceNine, June 04, 2007, 04:52:07 AM

IceNine

OK, so I've looked and please forgive me if I missed it but I haven't seen any threads on assuming command of a unit.  So here goes,

Based off of the vast knowledge we have here what is the laundry list of things that MUST BE completed, Should be completed and if you want to CYA do these things as well associated with assuming command.  The only thing that I would ask is that if there is anything that through experience has either a required or suggested completion date that that be listed along with the actual requirement.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Major Carrales

Most changes of command I have seen have been...how can I put this..."on bad terms."  Either that or there is an abrupt change for some reason.

The best way would be for Command to alternate among the membership.  This would grant everyone a bit more empathy to elimate those displays that turn a meeting into a meshegas.  There should be a set "term," one year or two.  A commander could take as many terms as they can handle. however, once the term is up a person, oe persons, could be "groomed" to make a seamless change.

Thus, if one guy wants to leave in lets say "1 October,"  they potential sucessors could start to "learn the ropes."  These "drones" could then be submitted to the Wing Commander for consideration.

Thing like UCC course are neat, but not practical beforehand.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

arajca

If you have the time, the current and incoming commanders should start going through ALL the logistics and finance paperwork at least a month prior together. These two area are what usually causes the most problems that get higher hq's attention.

Major Carrales

Quote from: arajca on June 04, 2007, 05:24:27 AM
If you have the time, the current and incoming commanders should start going through ALL the logistics and finance paperwork at least a month prior together. These two area are what usually causes the most problems that get higher hq's attention.

A mentor from Wing or Group, even if it is via e-mail or phones, would also be a big help.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

IceNine

ALL the logistics and finance paperwork

Can you define ALL logistics/finance paperwork?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SarDragon

Quote from: J.Hendricks on June 04, 2007, 05:38:04 AM
ALL the logistics and finance paperwork

Can you define ALL logistics/finance paperwork?

Broadly, any documents that will be looked at by an inspection team.

Finance - checkbook, Quicken records, bank statements

Logistics - S-3, S-8, Real Property Survey and lease agreement, vehicle records

Aircraft manager - logs, expense accounting

There may be others. That's all that came off the top of my head at 2245. See the SUI Guide for further details.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Don't forget about the communications equipment!

Also there are administrative duties that need to be done.

First you have to review and approve any and all squadron OIs, policy letters, and supplements.

Second you have to send in new signature cards for the test control officer.

You need to do a good records review of all you active (current as in "dues paid" current...not "show for all the meetings" current).  Make sure the outgoing commander give you skinny on anything you will "need" to know about his special members (we all have them....the guy who might drink too much and should not be called at 0200 for a SAR...but is okay for a scheduled SAREX or meeting....who can be trusted to pay you next Tuesday for a hamburger today and who is a cash on the counter sort of member....that sort of thing). Basically a run down of all the gossip the commander has NOT been spreading about his members but you will need to run your squadron.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

More specifically, within 30 days of the new commander assuming command, an audit of Finances, Logistics, and Communications.

Regs on the procedures are covered within each respective section's regulations.

A new commander must accept responsibility for all property and comm equipment, or cite any issues or exceptions.

These audits are also required at any time when a new FM, LG, or DC are appointed.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Suggested actions: 
Make sure the paperwork naming the new squadron commander was actually approved by wing and sent to national.  Make sure all your contact info on that paperwork is correct.  Make sure any websites (squadron, group, or wing) that list squadron contact information is updated with your info.  Make sure whatever wing roster that has your squadron contact info is updated.  Make sure Incident Commanders know your contact information  Redo your squadron alert roster and distribute to all members ASAP. 

Fifinella

Go here: http://www.cap.gov/visitors/members/professional_development/index.cfm?nodeID=6709&audienceID=4

Good overall info, but pay particular attention to the "attachments" at the bottom of the page.

I recommend Attachment 3, "Checklist for New Commanders" (direct link here: http://www.cap.gov/documents/Attachment_3pdf.pdf )

You might also like Attachment 4, "Questions New Commanders Should Ask" : http://www.cap.gov/documents/Attachment_4pdf.pdf
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753