Professional Development to increase unit Prestige...is this significant?

Started by Major Carrales, April 04, 2007, 03:51:31 PM

Major Carrales

In our unit, as one of our self-assigned goals, we resolved to pursue all elements of Professional Development including...

1) Personal Professional Development- Advancing in rank, taking Courses, SLS/CLC et al...

2) Aerospace- Encourage peopel to take the Yeager, help with AE

3) ES- getting quals and becoming proficient in COMM, AIR OPS and GROUND.

4) Additional PD- like getting HAM Radio for COMM, working with RED CROSS for ES.

Now, does this do anything to increase the prestige of the unit?  I see it as an extention of the core values of "Volunteer Service" and "excellence."

Comments...
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

arajca

For now, I'd focus on CAP PD instead of additional stuff.

My unit has set a goal of 100% Yeager by 31 Dec 2007. We're at 75% now.

Major Carrales

Quote from: arajca on April 04, 2007, 04:25:14 PM

My approach is, fous on CAP PD and do whatever else you can if you want to.

The way I see it, if a member has the time and drive to "do more" why stop them?  The improved skill sets only augment our unit's CAP Officers, also provides networking.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SAR-EMT1

If one wants "prestige" from PD - have your membership complete the AF PME - SOS, ACSC, AWC etc...
jmho
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

acarlson

I am very happy (and proud) to report we have 100% Yeager !  it IS possible... and do-able...
I present it as "an optional, but highly highly recommended" part of Lev II....  and that's because AE is one of our 3 missions in CAP! 

Excellent work!  job well done...  I salute you and your unit, sir!
Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
PDO, PAO, Pers, & Historian
Doylestown Composite Squadron 907
Doylestown PA

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 04, 2007, 03:51:31 PM
In our unit, as one of our self-assigned goals, we resolved to pursue all elements of Professional Development including...

1) Personal Professional Development- Advancing in rank, taking Courses, SLS/CLC et al...

2) Aerospace- Encourage peopel to take the Yeager, help with AE

3) ES- getting quals and becoming proficient in COMM, AIR OPS and GROUND.

4) Additional PD- like getting HAM Radio for COMM, working with RED CROSS for ES.

Now, does this do anything to increase the prestige of the unit?  I see it as an extention of the core values of "Volunteer Service" and "excellence."

Comments...

Of course doing these things is going to help the 'prestige' of your unit.  If the 'officers' involved get what they should out of the courses, and programs, you will have increasinly trained seniors.  There value just went up by doing this.

On paper your squadron will look better as well.  Your squadron will be actively pursuing accomplishing CAPs missions.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Psicorp

Quote from: acarlson on April 18, 2007, 12:07:19 AM

I am very happy (and proud) to report we have 100% Yeager !  it IS possible... and do-able...
I present it as "an optional, but highly highly recommended" part of Lev II....  and that's because AE is one of our 3 missions in CAP! 

Excellent work!  job well done...  I salute you and your unit, sir!

Trick question, sir...

Is that 100% of your active Officers or is that 100% of all Officers on your roster?

If it's the latter, that is impressive.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

ColonelJack

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 05, 2007, 03:46:57 AM
If one wants "prestige" from PD - have your membership complete the AF PME - SOS, ACSC, AWC etc...
jmho

Just don't expect them to be a walk in the park.  SOS was okay ... ACSC was hard ... and AWC just looked too danged difficult for me.  (Of course, that was before I went to graduate school ... now AWC would be a snap.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

acarlson

Quote from: Psicorp on April 18, 2007, 01:54:13 PM
Quote from: acarlson on April 18, 2007, 12:07:19 AM
...My unit has set a goal of 100% Yeager by 31 Dec 2007. We're at 75% now.

Trick question, sir...

Is that 100% of your active Officers or is that 100% of all Officers on your roster?

If it's the latter, that is impressive.

It is the former... and in my book THAT is impressive!    :o 

Going after a SM who you don't see, who is not interested in participating in CAP any longer, and won't return your phone calls (or email) is pointless, and futile (and damaging to MY motivation)...  it's hard enough encouraging and motivating the SMs who just want to fly... or play with radios... 
much less to have them sit at a computer that deletes all your answers just before you click "submit"... to participate in a self-study, obsolete course, or to participate in a 2-day course, that takes them away from flying time, or their family on the weekends...

my goal is not to conquer the world... just those involved in our little corner of it.  ... and that's good enough for me, my squadron commander...  my group commander... and my wing commander!

Guidelines for goals:
Goals must be:

• conceivable: you must be able to put it into words;

• achievable: you must have the attributes, energy, and time to accomplish it;

• believable: you must believe you can reach it;

• achievable within a certain time frame : you must be able to state how long it will take you to reach it;

• clearly defined: you must know exactly what it is;

• flexible: you must be willing to modify it as necessary;

but, please Lt., share your unit goals and stats with me... and let me know when you shake hands with 100% of all the Officers on your roster...  that, in itself, will also be a day to celebrate!                   

Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
Doylestown PA

acarlson

oh... sorry I forgot the stats themselves:

I have 77 Officers on my squadron roster...  and 26 ACTIVE Officers.
Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
Doylestown PA

alexalvarez

Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

sardak

Quote from: acarlson on April 18, 2007, 10:33:48 PM
Guidelines for goals:
Goals must be:

• conceivable: you must be able to put it into words;

• achievable: you must have the attributes, energy, and time to accomplish it;

• believable: you must believe you can reach it;

• achievable within a certain time frame : you must be able to state how long it will take you to reach it;

• clearly defined: you must know exactly what it is;

• flexible: you must be willing to modify it as necessary;

Another way to express these guidelines.  The goal is "To become a...." or "To earn the...."
Objectives are the steps to achieve the goal.  Objectives should be:
S - specific. The objective needs to be task oriented and include enough detail to be clear, yet concise.
M - measurable
A - assignable, attainable or action-oriented. All three words are really covered by the other letters.
R - reasonable or realistic.  Can the objective be completed in the time given, is the objective really do-able, etc.
T - time specific

Mike

O-Rex

jmho

"prestige" aside: it's a great education in organizational leadership (you can't beat the tuition rates!)

Did SOS & ACSC, and am now in my second sememster of DL Naval War College, which is ALOT more work than ACSC (In the orientation they tell you "Graduate-Level performance is expected-and they mean it!)  There are online chats and submission deadlines for 6 to10 page "mini-papers" (footnotes & all) I had four of them to do in the first course. You must re-apply each semester, total couse length is about 75 weeks, courses are 17, 24 and 34 weeks, respectively.  Applicants must be college grads. 

Applied online as a CAP member, got the telephone call "You're who??"  The welcome mat didn't come out right away, so I had AU send my ACSC transcripts, which got me in the door. 

A few weeks later, a box with ten textbooks arrives.  yes, ten....

15 CD's too.  Exciting stuff (think: Ben Stein, "Bueller........Bueller?")

Great course, but ALOT of work-I came close withdrawing midway through the first course (mind turned to mush after the first 300 pages of Clausewitz-and that's just the first module) until a fellow CAP member "shamed" me into sticking it out "Nice going, dude: first CAP member to enroll, and you want to drop out!"

what are friends for, right?  ;) 

Upside: even DL students are invited to the commencement ceremony in Newport, RI.

I'm shooting for June '09, allowing for one semester off.

**CAP/USAF OPENS THE DOORS TO SOME UNIQUE EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES-TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEM**

arajca

Tagging on to this, the AF plans to open the ACSC Master DL program to personnel eligible for ACSC in Jan 2008, as capacity permits. Still a little way off, but it provides for a fully accredited Master's degree for $0.00 (beside incidental expenses like internet access and text books [est $50-$75/course]).

More information on the ACSC Online Masters Degree program.

Al Sayre

Cool Beans!  I've been looking for an affordable Distance Learning Masters program that isn't a scam or diploma mill. 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SAR-EMT1

Question: since losing my ROTC scholarship I havent had the fundage to finish my bachelors if I take this masters course, will any of the credits drop down? Can I even take the course... Anyone who can understand the intent of my question, feel free to provide guidance.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

arajca

1. I believe having a bachelor's degree is a requirement.

2. The normal ACSC courses have been evaluated for graduate degree work, so they probably wouldn't step down for a bachelor's. Then again, if they did, you'd lose the ability to apply for the master's degree program later on.

3. The SOS/DL has been evaluated for either 9 or 12 upper level under-graduate (jr/sr) credits.

Look at some of the EMI residence courses. Most of them have been evaluated for 1-4 college credits.

Depending on how far you got, you may want to consider going to a community college to fill out your fresh/soph requirements.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: O-Rex on April 19, 2007, 03:35:29 AM
jmho

"prestige" aside: it's a great education in organizational leadership (you can't beat the tuition rates!)

Did SOS & ACSC, and am now in my second sememster of DL Naval War College, which is ALOT more work than ACSC (In the orientation they tell you "Graduate-Level performance is expected-and they mean it!)  There are online chats and submission deadlines for 6 to10 page "mini-papers" (footnotes & all) I had four of them to do in the first course. You must re-apply each semester, total couse length is about 75 weeks, courses are 17, 24 and 34 weeks, respectively.  Applicants must be college grads. 

Applied online as a CAP member, got the telephone call "You're who??"  The welcome mat didn't come out right away, so I had AU send my ACSC transcripts, which got me in the door. 

A few weeks later, a box with ten textbooks arrives.  yes, ten....

15 CD's too.  Exciting stuff (think: Ben Stein, "Bueller........Bueller?")

Great course, but ALOT of work-I came close withdrawing midway through the first course (mind turned to mush after the first 300 pages of Clausewitz-and that's just the first module) until a fellow CAP member "shamed" me into sticking it out "Nice going, dude: first CAP member to enroll, and you want to drop out!"

what are friends for, right?  ;) 

Upside: even DL students are invited to the commencement ceremony in Newport, RI.

I'm shooting for June '09, allowing for one semester off.

**CAP/USAF OPENS THE DOORS TO SOME UNIQUE EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES-TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEM**

Just wondering how the course was going for you O-Rex.

Has anyone attempted to take the Army Courses?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328