Main Menu

Uniform Class

Started by Steinf, September 06, 2018, 01:45:00 PM

Steinf

Does CAP still use the term Class A for Service Dress and Class B for Service Uniform ... I was told by an authoritative source that CAP was following the Air Force and no longer using the Class A and B terminology ... yet I still hear it being used.

Capt Stein

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: Steinf on September 06, 2018, 01:45:00 PM
Does CAP still use the term Class A for Service Dress and Class B for Service Uniform ... I was told by an authoritative source that CAP was following the Air Force and no longer using the Class A and B terminology ... yet I still hear it being used.

Capt Stein

Many who have been in a while still use the old terminology. I've caught myself several times saying it when talking about it to cadets and often they give me confused looks. Some have caught on and they use it as well. I do my best to use the proper phrasing though. It happens to us old farts you know...
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

winterg

Class A and Class B terminology is laid out in CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1. They are appropriate terms to use.

Edit: A quick search on my phone shows the term Class A comes up 23 times and Class B comes up 18 times in 39-1. So if people are reading the manual, it should be pretty easy to spot. Pretty sure I have the latest copy. 

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Eclipse

To be fair, it was removed from the nomenclature for a number of years, returned in 2014.

They are now proper CAP terms.

"That Others May Zoom"

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2018, 02:07:29 PM
To be fair, it was removed from the nomenclature for a number of years, returned in 2014.

:o ;D ;D ;D
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

N6RVT

Quote from: DocJekyll on September 06, 2018, 02:10:07 PM

:o ;D ;D ;D

You mean combination 1 and combination 4?

SarDragon

Actually, it was never official CAP nomenclature as far back as (ready for this?) 1961. I have copies of every version of the CAPM 39-1 all the way back to 1961, and only the 1961 version uses letters to designate the various combinations. But, nowhere is the term Class A, etc. used. On top of that, there's no match between the A, B, C, etc. combinations back then, and the current ones

The 1968 version and beyond used combination numbers instead, and eventually even that went away.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Instead of saying "Wear full service dress uniform" you can say "Wear Class A." Seems easier.

EDIT: I must admit I thought this topic was about having some course of instruction on uniforms.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Steinf on September 06, 2018, 01:45:00 PM
I was told by an authoritative source that CAP was following the Air Force and no longer using the Class A and B terminology

They're incorrect.

Quote from: winterg on September 06, 2018, 01:50:49 PM
Class A and Class B terminology is laid out in CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1. They are appropriate terms to use.

Edit: A quick search on my phone shows the term Class A comes up 23 times and Class B comes up 18 times in 39-1. So if people are reading the manual, it should be pretty easy to spot. Pretty sure I have the latest copy. 

He's correct.

He's also correct.

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 09, 2018, 07:18:18 PM
Instead of saying "Wear full service dress uniform" you can say "Wear Class A." Seems easier.

Further correct.

QuoteEDIT: I must admit I thought this topic was about having some course of instruction on uniforms.

My assumption as well. But I think the "class" is the CAP Talk discussion.