CAP Officer Basic Course - Launching announced

Started by Chappie, December 08, 2009, 10:38:59 PM

Chappie

The replacement course for the ADL-13 has finally been announced for release:

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/officer_basic_course.cfm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

NCRblues

"Unlike ADL-13, there is no end-of-course examination. To complete the OBC, members must successfully pass an open-book online quiz at the end of each lesson within the blocks."
>:( So how do we prove that the member learns anything from this?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Fubar

Quote from: NCRblues on December 08, 2009, 11:37:06 PMSo how do we prove that the member learns anything from this?
Lots of little tests instead of one big one?

I suspect you're concerned about the open-book nature of the tests. I'm not sure that will significantly change the amount of information that is retained by the participants.

RogueLeader

plus only 90 days allowed.  Can't start when you register, and only a certain number of slots allowed, until you are pushed back later.  WTH, I know ECI-13 wasn't the best, but this?  :o ???
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on December 09, 2009, 12:42:12 AM
Quote from: NCRblues on December 08, 2009, 11:37:06 PMSo how do we prove that the member learns anything from this?
Lots of little tests instead of one big one?

I suspect you're concerned about the open-book nature of the tests. I'm not sure that will significantly change the amount of information that is retained by the participants.

Its online, open book.  Like all things CAP, many will take it seriously and complete it in the spirit of learning and growth, but many will
simply treat it as an exercise of the F3 key.

I have no issue with online, huge issue with open-book, especially without a proctor.  Ditto for the upcoming Cadet testing.

As I've argued on CS and here - traditional open book tests require at least a working knowledge of the book (especially those with a poor index), but with the sum total of human knowledge one click away, "open book" takes on a different meaning.

500 questions, 1,000, 10,000 with rotating decks - it doesn't matter if you can leave Wikipedia open and Google the regs.

Hey, I was wrong about wing Banker, maybe this will be a pleasant surprise as well...

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

lordmonar

I have not take the course but I am taking another course on the the black board and I don't think you can just F4 search it like we do the 116, CP, Comm, etc tests.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on December 09, 2009, 01:02:37 AM
I have not take the course but I am taking another course on the the black board and I don't think you can just F4 search it like we do the 116, CP, Comm, etc tests.

Assuming this is a browser-based situation, its near impossible to lock a machine down to prevent using other programs while the test is running.  It may not be as bad as the 116 tests, but what about another browser window?  Another machine?  Cel phone?

As I write this (by random chance because I am reloading some CAP notebooks) I have 10 notebook computers and 4 cel phones within arms reach that all have web access, and that doesn't even account for just pure cheating.

If its program knowledge, it'll be in the regs and pubs, fully indexed on both the web and locally (MS Search, Google Desktop, etc.), if its general knowledge, its in the ether.

You can only pose Yeager's birthday so many ways, and the dilution of the Yeager is the perfect example of the issue.  Between general knowledge and being active in the program, most reasonably intelligent adults should be able to knock out the AEPSM in about 15 minutes walking in cold.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Eligibility Requirements Eligibilityrequirements for the OBC are the same as eligibility requirements forADL-13. For senior members this means that you must have completedLevel I. Cadets must have completed their Mitchell Award *NOTE: The Officer Basic Course does NOT counttowards the Leadership Academy requirement for Phase IV of the CadetProgram at this time. Cadets may continue to enroll in ADL-13 until 1March 2010. Cadet Officers who elect to take the OBC aspersonal development will have OBC completion carried over to theirsenior member record should they choose to transition to seniormembership in the future.

So...what happens after 1 March 2010 then?

Eclipse

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on December 09, 2009, 01:32:21 AM
So...what happens after 1 March 2010 then?

TBD

The KB specifies that the decision about counting OBC towards Eaker has not yet been made.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pumbaa

EMT-83

My application has been submitted, along with two others from my squadron. I wonder how many were sent in today?

cdk77

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 09, 2009, 02:52:49 AM
My application has been submitted, along with two others from my squadron. I wonder how many were sent in today?

I submitted mine. So at least 4.

I wonder how many slots are available....
Craig Kursinsky, 1st Lt, CAP
Dover Composite Squadron, MER-DE-006

RiverAux

You know, soon after they launched the updated SLS and CLC courses I asked here how many people would be interested in taking them again since they are basically entirely different courses than the old "This is what the squadron/group/Wing ES officer does" courses.  Not many were interested.  I wonder how many might take this course even if they've already done the old ECI-13? 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on December 09, 2009, 03:45:13 AM
You know, soon after they launched the updated SLS and CLC courses I asked here how many people would be interested in taking them again since they are basically entirely different courses than the old "This is what the squadron/group/Wing ES officer does" courses.  Not many were interested.  I wonder how many might take this course even if they've already done the old ECI-13?

I'd take it again simply to be informed on the content and delivery method.

But its not really a fair analogy - SLS/CLC's are more about networking, and the reason the re-take is encouraged is because the new curriculum is discussion-based and subjective, so its never the same.  The OBC, even at its best, it just about basic knowledge of CAP and its operations.

Did anyone else notice that you can bypass the classes and challenge the tests directly?  If you can't get through 200, open-book, multiple choice questions in 90 days, you don't deserve to be a Captain.

One suggestion might be to require that the tests be challenged by all takers before getting the curriculum, and then the system could shuffle things around to the areas where the tester struggled - them what knows can get on with their lives.

I personally would like to see the option to challenge removed, with at least some sort of per-page timer running (a lot of online presentations do that now to prevent the click-through factor).  At least make the light from the pages enter the room and intersect with the members' eyes...

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: cdk77 on December 09, 2009, 03:34:31 AM
Quote from: EMT-83 on December 09, 2009, 02:52:49 AM

I submitted mine. So at least 4.

I wonder how many slots are available....
175-185 slots available.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Seabee219

Don't get me started on wing banker please!!!! >:(
CAP Capt, Retired US Navy Seabee.
  MRO, MS, MO, UDF, GT3, MSA, CUL
1. Lead by example, and take care of your people

BuckeyeDEJ

ADL-13?

You mean we're taking courses from the Anti-Defamation League?

It's HQ AU A-4/6 Course 13. In fact, they abbreviate course names as simply A-4/6 13. Before it was A-4/6, it was AFIADL. You can't abbreviate any more than those six letters without botching the name, or just calling it ECI, which goes back even further.

(Speaking as someone who's in the midst of A-4/6 20.)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

davidsinn

I tried to enroll my wife last night but got a bounced backed email. Anybody else having problems?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

EMT-83

Nope, no bounce. I saved the form as a PDF and sent it as an email attachment. The "submit" button on the form did nothing for me.