Main Menu

Medal of Valor Association

Started by James Shaw, August 19, 2007, 12:30:22 PM

Pylon

Didn't I see a nifty MOVA coin around here at one point?  Keep us updated, Col Shaw.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

nesagsar

Would my situation have qualified?

Eeyore

Depends on how well the award was written and what the folks up the chain thought. Does it really matter? If you aren't a member anymore and you were never put in for the award, you can't really be put in for it now anyway.

mikeylikey

Quote from: edmo1 on March 14, 2008, 07:25:24 PM
If you aren't a member anymore and you were never put in for the award, you can't really be put in for it now anyway.

But when he joins back up he can be put in for it though right??  (I am not sure on this)
What's up monkeys?

arajca

Depends if he was a member at the time and how long ago it was.

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

James Shaw

Quote from: nesagsar on March 14, 2008, 06:47:26 PM
My dad had a seizure in the front passenger seat of a moving car. The driver panicked and let go of the wheel causing the car to drift into the other lane. I was in the back seat and unhooked my safety belt, leaned into the front and took the wheel before we were hit by a eighteen wheeler, then I steered us into a parking lot and told her to stop the car. After that I got out and provided first aid for my dad and called for an ambulance.

The first question would be were you an active member in good standing at the time?
The next is how long ago was this?
The last is if you had atleast 2 witnesses.

Quote from: Pylon on March 14, 2008, 06:56:15 PM
Didn't I see a nifty MOVA coin around here at one point?  Keep us updated, Col Shaw.  :)

Thanks for the promotion! Yes I will post a picture later.

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 14, 2008, 08:59:13 PM
If you aren't a member anymore and you were never put in for the award, you can't really be put in for it now anyway.

But when he joins back up he can be put in for it though right??  (I am not sure on this)

No the time in service has to concurrent. Thats what I was told by the NHQ.

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 14, 2008, 10:51:13 PM
Why do we need this? 

Need ?
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Cecil DP

Quote from: nesagsar on March 14, 2008, 06:47:26 PM
My dad had a seizure in the front passenger seat of a moving car. The driver panicked and let go of the wheel causing the car to drift into the other lane. I was in the back seat and unhooked my safety belt, leaned into the front and took the wheel before we were hit by a eighteen wheeler, then I steered us into a parking lot and told her to stop the car. After that I got out and provided first aid for my dad and called for an ambulance.

Disregard
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Flying Pig

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 14, 2008, 08:59:13 PM

nesagsar,
If Im not mistaken, your no longer a member right?  You must have been a member at the time of the incident, and it cannot have passed 2 years since the date of the incident.  Also, from your previous posts you stated that you were already awarded the Life Saving Medal for the incident.

Now, you can be put in for an award after the two year limit, but it needs a serious paper trail and a lot of justification as to why it should now be considered.  If you weere already awarded the Life Saving Medal, I think it would need some SERIOUS research and articulation as to why it needs to be upgraded.

Great job reacting the way you did and this is only my opinion based on what you wrote, but I would tend to think self preservation had a big part to play in the event as well vs. a selfless act of heroism.  I think the SMOV/ BMOV are reserved for those who take themselves from a place of being removed and in a position of safety, to knowingly putting themselves in danger.  Basically, a situation where nobody could have blamed you for NOT getting involved.

mikeylikey

^ Perhaps when a person is awarded such a meritorious CAP decoration it should be listed on the NHQ website with the citation available to all to see.  I suspect that some of these awards (from rumor of course) were awarded for less than what is required of the individual to be considered.  If we make the information public, it would curb the rumor mills and may actually make the award more prestigious. 

What's up monkeys?

James Shaw

Here is a picture of the MOVA coins. The silver coin on the left will be for Medal of Valor Recipients only. The brass color on the right will be for those who wish to support the group through a donation.

The Silver coin is available for Silver and Bronze Medal of Valor Recipients only. The award will be confirmed through the records. The donation amount is $15 for the coin and a 3/4 inch lapel pin that is identical to the front of the coin.

The bronze coin is available to those who wish to support the MOVA. The donation amount is the same and they will also get the lapel pin in bronze. The bronze coins will also be "awarded" to those that have helped the gorup in some way. That will done on an individual basis.

Jim Shaw

James Shaw

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 15, 2008, 10:12:48 PM
^ Perhaps when a person is awarded such a meritorious CAP decoration it should be listed on the NHQ website with the citation available to all to see.  I suspect that some of these awards (from rumor of course) were awarded for less than what is required of the individual to be considered.  If we make the information public, it would curb the rumor mills and may actually make the award more prestigious. 

My SMV was for running into a burning building and helping to get 17 people out. I personally removed 4 myself. That is the basic info for the entire writeup.

Here are some other writeups for SMV's. They are available through a Google Search.

Citation to Accompany The Silver Medal of Valor to Philip G. Malone

Lieutenant Colonel Philip G. Malone, CAP, Distinguished himself by conspicuous heroic action by risking his own life to save another on 11 September 2004. After successfully completing a search for a distress signal, Colonel Malone was debriefing with the other air and ground team members at the Middle Georgia Composite Squadron Building. Colonel Malone and another member were heading back toward the flight-line when they noticed that a Learjet taxiing to the ramp was on fire and he yelled for help. The plane had blown its left main landing tires on landing, parts of which ignited against the glowing hot brake disks as they taxied. The crew and passengers were unaware of the fire. Colonel Malone and the other member quickly opened the Flight Line gate, as others ran to the trailer to retrieve two fire extinguishers, and next door to the Fire Department for help. Colonel Malone and the others sprinted toward the plane
about 100 yards away. At this point the flames from the left gear erupted as the brake line burned through, spraying hydraulic fluid into the fire. The flames engulfed the gear and spread several feet in each direction along the wing and fuselage, reaching the belly fuel tank vents, as the engine was being shut down. Colonel Malone and the others squatted under the wing by the gear and temporarily
put out the flames. The upper door was lifted and two passengers leapt over the still-closed lower door to escape the aircraft. Two of the individuals opened the lower door and helped the third passenger and the two crew-members escape. The blaze re-ignited and was doused again. The occupants were moved to a safe area and the members continued to watch the aircraft to ensure the flames did not re-ignite until the Macon Airport Fire Department arrived about four minutes after the crew and aircraft were secure. Lieutenant Colonel Malone's quick thinking, Heroic action, and willingness to risk his own life to save others, reflects great credit upon himself, The
Georgia Wing, and Civil Air Patrol.

Citation to Accompany The Silver Medal of Valor to Randall G. Wisener

First Lieutenant Randall G. Wisener, CAP, Distinguished himself by conspicuous heroic action by risking his own life to save another on 11 September 2004. After successfully completing a search for a distress signal, Lt. Wisener was debriefing with the other air and ground team members at the Middle Georgia Composite Squadron Building. As the team was heading back toward the flight-line when they noticed that a Learjet taxiing to the ramp was on fire. The plane had blown its left main landing tires on landing, parts of which ignited against the glowing hot brake disks as they taxied. The crew and passengers were unaware of the fire. Two other members quickly opened the Flight Line gate, as one member ran to the trailer to retrieve two fire extinguishers, Lt. Wisener ran to the Fire Department for help. Lt. Wisener and the others sprinted toward the plane about 100 yards away. At this point the flames from the left gear erupted as the brake line burned through, spraying hydraulic fluid into the fire. The flames engulfed the gear and spread several feet in each direction along the wing and fuselage, reaching the belly fuel tank vents, as the engine was being shut down. Lt. Wisener and the others squatted under the wing by the gear and temporarily put out the flames. The upper door was lifted and two assengers leapt over the still-closed lower door to escape the aircraft. Lt. Wisener and another member opened the lower door and helped the third passenger and the two crew-members escape. The blaze re-ignited and was doused again. The occupants were moved to a safe area and the members continued to watch the aircraft to ensure the flames did not re-ignite until the Macon Airport Fire Department arrived about four minutes after the crew and aircraft were secure. Lieutenant Wisener's quick thinking, Heroic action, and willingness to risk his own life to save others, reflects great credit upon himself, The Georgia Wing, and Civil Air Patrol.

Citation to Accompany The Silver Medal of Valor to Richard J. Greenwood

Lieutenant Colonel Richard J. Greenwood, CAP, Distinguished himself by conspicuous heroic action by risking his own life to save nother on 11 September 2004. After successfully completing a search for a distress signal, Colonel Greenwood was debriefing with the other air and ground team members at the Middle Georgia Composite Squadron Building. Colonel Greenwood and another CAP member heading back toward the flight-line when they noticed that a Learjet taxiing to the ramp was on fire. The plane had blown its left main landing tires on landing, parts of which ignited against the glowing hot brake disks as they taxied. The crew and passengers were unaware of the fire. Colonel Greenwood and another member quickly opened the Flight Line gate, as one member ran to the trailer to
retrieve two fire extinguishers, and another ran to the Fire Department for help. Colonel Greenwood and the others sprinted toward the plane about 100 yards away. At this point the flames from the left gear erupted as the brake line burned through, spraying hydraulic fluid into the fire. The flames engulfed the gear and spread several feet in each direction along the wing and fuselage,
reaching the belly fuel tank vents, as the engine was being shut down. Colonel Greenwood and the others squatted under the wing by the gear and temporarily put out the flames. Colonel Greenwood ran to open the upper door and two passengers leapt over the still-closed lower door to escape the aircraft. Colonel Greenwood and another member opened the lower door and helped the third passenger and the two crew-members escape. The blaze re-ignited and was doused again. The occupants were moved to a safe area and the members continued to watch the aircraft to ensure the flames did not re-ignite until the Macon Airport Fire Department
arrived about four minutes after the crew and aircraft were secure. Lieutenant Colonel Greenwood's quick thinking, Heroic action, and willingness to risk his own life to save others, reflects great credit upon himself, The Georgia Wing, and Civil Air Patrol.

Citation to Accompany The Silver Medal of Valor to Todd A. Engelman

Lieutenant Colonel Todd A. Engelman, CAP, Distinguished himself by conspicuous heroic action by risking his own life to save another on 11 September 2004. After successfully completing a search for a distress signal, Colonel Engelman was debriefing with the other air and ground team members at the Middle Georgia Composite Squadron Building. Colonel Engelman and another CAP member heard the cry for help with an aircraft fire and quickly responded. Colonel Engelman ran to the trailer for two fire extinguishers while another member ran next door to the Fire Department. The plane had blown its left main landing tires on landing, parts of which ignited against the glowing hot brake disks as they taxied. The crew and passengers were unaware of the fire. Colonel Greenwood and the others sprinted toward the plane about 100 yards away. At this point the flames from the left gear erupted as the brake line burned through,
spraying hydraulic fluid into the fire. The flames engulfed the gear and spread several feet in each direction along the wing and fuselage, reaching the belly fuel tank vents, as the engine was being shut down. Colonel Engelman and the others squatted under the
wing and temporarily put out the flames. While others ran to open the door and quickly assist the passengers out of the aircraft. Colonel Engelman and another member continued to observe the aircraft. The blaze reignited and was doused again. The occupants were moved to a safe area and the members continued to watch the aircraft to ensure the flames did not re-ignite until the Macon Airport Fire Department arrived about four minutes after the crew and aircraft were secure. Lieutenant Colonel Engleman's quick thinking, Heroic action, and willingness to risk his own life to save others, reflects great credit upon himself, The Georgia Wing, and Civil Air Patrol.
Jim Shaw

Major Carrales

Quote from: caphistorian on March 21, 2008, 03:19:33 PM
Here is a picture of the MOVA coins.

I must say, that is an attractive medal.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

James Shaw

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 21, 2008, 03:56:01 PMI must say, that is an attractive medal.

Thanks for the compliment. I designed the coin. The front of the coin is pretty much self explanatory. The back has of course Semper Vigilans and the bottom has AB Intra which is Latin for "from within". From within the ranks of CAP and what comes from within someones ability to react to an emergency. The SMV and BMV ribbons were a last minute addition.

Tags - MIKE
Jim Shaw

James Shaw

I have created some backdrops with the SMV, BMV, and DSM for a website I am working on. Please feel free to use these images.
Jim Shaw

James Shaw

Found these on the web while doing some research.

CITATION TO ACCOMPANY SILVER MEDAL OF VALOR TO CAPT EDWARD A. WASSERMAN Florida Wing
Captain Edward A. Wasserman, CAP, distinguished himself by conspicuous, heroic action above and beyond the call of duty on 29 May 1998. While sitting in his office at Piper High School in Sunrise, Florida, Captain Wasserman heard what sounded like an explosion coming from a common area. Rushing to the area, he spotted a thrash can with smoke and fumes eminating from the top. With complete disregard for his own personal safety, Captain Wasserman opened the trash can and observed an exploded plastic container and a second unexploded device. Realizing that even if the second device did not detonate the fumes and vapors from the first acid explosion could cause severe health problems for the students, Captain Wasserman decided to remove the can from the building. Although the fumes and vapors caused severe irritation and acid burns on Captain Wasserman's face and neck, he carried the can into a parking lot well away from the student population. Captain Wasserman's heroic actions preserved the health and safety of hundreds of students and staff members as well as prevented possible damage to school property. The singularly distinctive accomplishments of Captain Wasserman reflect great credit upon himself, the Florida Wing and Civil Air Patrol.

See below for examples of citations for the Bronze Medal of Valor.

CITATION TO ACCOMPANY BRONZE MEDAL OF VALOR TO ROY A. KAUER
Captain Roy A. Kauer, CAP, distinguished himself by conspicuous, heroic action on 11 September 1999. While driving home from the Caro Airport at 10:15 p.m., Captain Kauer noticed a mobile home on fire. He immediately reported the fire and told the dispatcher that he was going to enter the home to ensure there was no one inside. With complete disregard for his own personal safety, Captain Kauer kicked in the front door and entered the burning trailer, calling out for occupants. He remained in the living room until driven out by the flames and smoke. Captain Kauer then went to the back door, and again entered the dwelling, calling out for occupants. Again he was driven out by flames and smoke. Unable to re-enter, he waited for the fire department, directing traffic away from the area because of a 500 gallon fuel tank and a propane tank adjacent to the home. During this time, the father of the occupants arrived on the scene and fearing the worst, became distraught. Captain Kauer calmed him, noting there were no vehicles in the driveway, and that no one answered him when he called out. At that time, the occupants returned home to find their home engulfed with flames. Remaining on the scene Captain Kauer offered his assistance and comfort while the firemen worked to bring the fire under control. Captain Kauer's quick thinking, heroic action, and complete disregard for his own personal safety reflects great credit upon himself, the Michigan Wing, and Civil Air Patrol.

CITATION TO ACCOMPANY BRONZE MEDAL OF VALOR TO ANDY E. LANSDOWNE
Cadet Andy E. Lansdowne, CAP, distinguished himself by conspicuous, heroic action on 9 March 2000. While traveling northbound on a state highway, Cadet Lansdowne noticed the vehicle in front of him start to drift off the side of the road. The car eventually left the road, hitting and then jumping a fence, which sent it sailing into a pond. Cadet Lansdowne stopped his car immediately. Getting as close to the pond as he could, he noticed the first car slowly sinking into the pond. With complete disregard for his own personal safety, Cadet Lansdowne jumped into the freezing water and tried to open the driver's door. The doors were locked, trapping the driver inside the vehicle. In spite of the freezing water temperature and the fact that the car was continuing to sink, Cadet Lansdowne went around to each door refusing to give up. With the help from a passing motorist, the back window was broken and they were able to pull the victim from the sinking vehicle. The victim was not breathing and had no pulse. In spite of having very little feeling in his hands and body, Cadet Lansdowne used the medical kit from his ground team gear and remained with the victim beginning life saving efforts until the paramedic arrived. Cadet Lansdowne refused to be treated for his injuries until the victim was cared for. Cadet Lansdowne's quick thinking, heroic action, and complete disregard for his own personal safety reflects great credit upon himself, the Indiana Wing, and Civil Air Patrol.

CITATION TO ACCOMPANY BRONZE MEDAL OF VALOR TO REINALDO J. OTERO
Cadet Reinaldo J. Otero, CAP, distinguished himself by conspicuous, heroic action on 12 October 1997. While on a public bus, Cadet Otero became aware of an elderly lady attempting to leave the bus when her foot became lodged in the rear door. The bus driver was unable to hear the commotion and the bus started moving. The woman was outside the bus and the driver could not see that she was caught in the door. Cadet Otero tried to get the driver's attention by yelling as he attempted to dislodge the elderly lady's foot. When the bus driver still did not respond, Cadet Otero kicked at the door until it opened and with complete disregard for his own personal safety jumped out of the moving bus. Although Cadet Otero suffered some minor injuries, the woman's foot was released. He remained with the woman who appeared to have an open fracture to her right leg and multiple bruises and began giving her first aid. Cadet Otero's quick thinking, heroic action and complete disregard for his own personal safety reflect great credit upon himself, the Puerto Wing, and Civil Air Patrol.

CITATION TO ACCOMPANY BRONZE MEDAL OF VALOR To THOMAS G. HOEBINK
Second Lieutenant Thomas G. Hoebink, CAP, distinguished himself by conspicuous, heroic action by risking his own safety to save another on 14 February 1998. While returning home from a Wing Cadet Programs Conference, Lieutenant Hoebink and his son came upon a car that had hit a tree in the center divider of the highway. As they stopped to render aid, Lieutenant Hoebink realized the victim was trapped in the car and had sustained life-threatening injuries. After gathering his first aid kit and attempting to stop the bleeding, another motorist stopped to help them stabilize the victim and try to remove him from the vehicle. During the entire rescue procedures Lieutenant Hoebink and the other individuals were working in the center divider of a major highway with no guard rails or traffic guards to protect them from possible injury as passing motorists speed by trying to get a look at the scene. Although the victim died in the midst of the rescue, Lieutenant Hoebink's heroic action, quick thinking and complete disregard for his own personal safety reflects great credit upon himself, the California Wing, and Civil Air Patrol.

CITATION TO ACCOMPANY BRONZE MEDAL OF VALOR TO JOHN T. HOEBINK
Cadet John T. Hoebink, CAP, distinguished himself by conspicuous, heroic action by risking his own safety to save another on 14 February 1998. While returning home from a Wing Cadet Programs Conference, Cadet Hoebink and his father came upon a car that had hit a tree in the center divider of the highway. As they stopped to render aid, Cadet Hoebink's father realized the victim was trapped in the car and had sustained life-threatening injuries. After gathering their first aid kit and attempting to stop the bleeding, another motorist stopped to help them stabilize the victim and try to remove him from the vehicle. During the entire rescue procedures Cadet Hoebink and the other individuals were working in the center divider of a major highway with no guard rails or traffic guards to protect them from possible injury as passing motorists speed by trying to get a look at the scene. Although the victim died in the midst of the rescue, Cadet Hoebink's heroic action, quick thinking and complete disregard for his own personal safety reflects great credit upon himself, the California Wing, and Civil Air Patrol.

CITATION TO ACCOMPANY BRONZE MEDAL OF VALOR TO JOE B HINSON
"Major Joe B. Hinson, CAP, distinguished himself by conspicuous, heroic action on 26 December 1998. While traveling to his hunting camp in Georgia, Major Hinson heard on his CB radio that a state trooper had pulled over a motorist to give him a ticket. He was approximately 15 miles south of the location. As he passed the vehicles in question, he noticed the trooper was in an altercation with the motorist and Major Hinson pulled his vehicle to the side of the road to see if he could be of assistance to the trooper. The state trooper indicated that he needed assistance and Major Hinson assisted the trooper in handcuffing the motorist. After securing the motorist in the back of the state trooper's vehcile, Major Hinson stayed with the trooper until his backup arrived. Major Hinson's quick thinking, heroic action, and complete disregard for his own personal safety reflects great credit upon himself, the Florida Wing, and Civil Air Patrol."
Jim Shaw

teesquared

This is the one I wrote up for the young man in our squadron who got a SMOV.

CITATION TO ACCOMPANY SILVER MEDAL OF VALOR TO ADAM T. RAE
Cadet Adam T. Rae, CAP, distinguished himself by conspicuous, heroic action when he risked his own life to save another on 20 August 2005. While driving home with two of his friends, Cadet Rae witnessed a horrific car crash. The car hit two trees at an extremely high rate of speed, and actually broke in half. Rae stopped his car and jumped out. He ran to the nearest portion of the wreck, and saw a passenger inside who obviously had not survived. Then Adam heard a woman bystander scream that the driver was trapped inside the front half, and the vehicle had caught on fire. With disregard for his own safety, Rae ran to the car and was able to open the door. He managed to unfasten the driver's seat belt, burning his hands in the process. He dragged the driver out and away from the burning wreck. His two friends, meanwhile, ran to a nearby restaurant, and got two fire extinguishers. As Rae examined the driver he noted the man was unconscious, and had massive wounds and profuse bleeding. An arriving Colorado State Trooper gave Rae a set of medical gloves, and he attempted to stem the blood flow by asking for shirts from the gathering spectators. Cadet Rae noticed that the man was having trouble breathing because of an accumulation of blood in his airway. He immediately began CPR. As his friends attempted to extinguish the fire, flame-ups twice exploded, knocking all three to the ground. With continued disregard to his own personal safety Rae performed CPR on the victim for 12 minutes until firefighters arrived. A firefighter took over CPR and Rae intubated the victim, and operated the bag valve mask while also tending to the victim's massive head wounds. Cadet Adam Rae remained cool in an emergency, and exhibited a courage and perserverance that belie his age of less than eighteen years. He is credited by the emergency personnel at the scene and by the American Red Cross with saving a life at obvious peril to his own. Cadet Rae's quick thinking, heroic action, and complete disregard for his own personal safety reflects great credit upon himself, Thompson Valley Composite Squadron, the Colorado Wing, and Civil Air Patrol.
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

Gunner C

Wow!  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

major pain

i would be interested in this,

also Gen. Rich Anderson was awarded a SMV... be one more member that is still active to contact
Lt Col Rp Kraatz, CAP
Inspector General
Kansas Wing (KSWG-01)