Main Menu

Medal of Valor Association

Started by James Shaw, August 19, 2007, 12:30:22 PM

James Shaw

I have been asked to help start a Medal of Valor Association. This Association will be open to any all members who have received the BMV or SMV and in some older cases the Distinguished Service Award. It was used as such in the 1950's. The association will have a couple of defined purposes such as small scholarships, networking, and such. Several recipients have allready been contacted and are on board with the idea. Former National Commander BrigGen Rich Anderson (SMV), Lt. Col. ShirleyJones (BMV), Lt. Col Todd Engelman (SMV), Lt. Col. Richard Greenwood (SMV), and a few others I dont have the business cards readily available for.

If you know of any members who are still in CAP or not please send me a PM with contact info.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

jwwinney

Yes, I am interested.   I am a BMV winner from the 60s in Nebraska.  I have sent my contact information to you as a private message today.
Jim Winney

Smokey

I'm sure TP will want to join.  After all he did get the award for his heroism by directing traffic at a car crash.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

BillB

Jim one of the problems would be backing up the Distinguished Service Award. It's been 50+ years since many were awarded, and National no longer has any records. I got the award for starting three Squadrons with a total of 250 members back in the 1940's and early 50's. But the paperwork stayed with the squadrons, which as usual, lose some if not all paperwork.
You stand a better chance of finding Medal of Valor winners since those were, I believe numbered where the Distinguished Service Award was un-numbered. And to a great extent the Distinguished Service Award was given for service above and beyond normal duties, and had nothing to do with "valor" as determined for the Silver and Bronze medal of Valor.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Skyray

Quote from: Smokey on August 19, 2007, 07:02:47 PM
I'm sure TP will want to join.  After all he did get the award for his heroism by directing traffic at a car crash.

Do you have to be a current member of CAP to join?
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

mikeylikey

Where are the schoalrships coming from?  Should NHQ have a lsting of all recipients? 
What's up monkeys?

James Shaw

Quote from: Skyray on August 19, 2007, 08:48:36 PM

Do you have to be a current member of CAP to join?

No this is not a CAP Sponsored Association and you dont have to be a current member.
Quote from: mikeylikey on August 19, 2007, 09:47:15 PM
Where are the schoalrships coming from?  Should NHQ have a lsting of all recipients? 

That will be one of the things discussed when the folks start to "showup" National does have some records but we are going to try and get the word out as well.
Jim Shaw

Pylon

Quote from: caphistorian on August 19, 2007, 10:11:32 PM
That will be one of the things discussed when the folks start to "showup" National does have some records but we are going to try and get the word out as well.

Though I have never been a recipient of the BMV or SMV, I understand the significance and fully support such an association.  Contact me when the time is right for a donation to a scholarship fund.  Good for all of you.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

James Shaw

The group now has a challenge coin. There are going to be a couple of different options posted later for recipients of the SMV or BMV. There is also going to be a Supporting Member category.
Jim Shaw

ColonelJack

A car crash that some say didn't even happen ...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

James Shaw

TP is Not eligible .... all I can say!
Jim Shaw

teesquared

We have a SMOV recipient in our squadron.
Email info sent.
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

LR25AV8Tor

Not to beat a dead horse, but why is TP not eligible?  You said:

No this is not a CAP Sponsored Association and you don't have to be a current member.

unless his SMV been rescinded, you may not have a choice? I personally agree with your position especially since it appears he may not deserve it, but it is up to national to take it away.  Does the Spaatz Association not allow people to join because they don't like them?  Just my opinion.

SJFedor

Quote from: LR25AV8Tor on March 14, 2008, 06:24:42 AM
Not to beat a dead horse, but why is TP not eligible?  You said:

No this is not a CAP Sponsored Association and you don't have to be a current member.

unless his SMV been rescinded, you may not have a choice? I personally agree with your position especially since it appears he may not deserve it, but it is up to national to take it away.  Does the Spaatz Association not allow people to join because they don't like them?  Just my opinion.

I would imagine that the Spaatz Association could very well choose to disassociate itself with a present or former member who had questionable things going on.

It's not just that people didn't like TP. He had to be removed by the BoG for the stuff he was doing.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Flying Pig

I think when someone is removed and BANNED from ever rejoing........

James Shaw

The group is made up of present and past members of good standing with CAP. It does not matter if they are former Cadets or Former National Level people. Person of good standing spells it out.
Jim Shaw

nesagsar

I dont think I have ever met a member with one of the valor medals. I have heard people say that I deserved one for one of my dads seizures but no one ever turned it in.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: nesagsar on March 14, 2008, 05:47:39 PM
I dont think I have ever met a member with one of the valor medals. I have heard people say that I deserved one for one of my dads seizures but no one ever turned it in.

Was there risk to your life or probably injury to you?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

James Shaw

Quote from: nesagsar on March 14, 2008, 05:47:39 PM

Please take alook at the criteria as listed per CAPR 39-3 for the Silver and Bronze Medal of Valor

Silver Medal of Valor. Distinguished and conspicuous heroic action, at the risk of life, above and beyond the call of normal duty.

b. Bronze Medal of Valor. Distinguished and conspicuous heroic action where danger to self is probable and known. (NOTE: In cases where a member is credited with saving a human life, but where the act does not meet the criteria for the Silver or Bronze Medal of Valor, the member should be recommended for a Certificate of Recognition in accordance with paragraph 9g.)
Jim Shaw

nesagsar

My dad had a seizure in the front passenger seat of a moving car. The driver panicked and let go of the wheel causing the car to drift into the other lane. I was in the back seat and unhooked my safety belt, leaned into the front and took the wheel before we were hit by a eighteen wheeler, then I steered us into a parking lot and told her to stop the car. After that I got out and provided first aid for my dad and called for an ambulance.