Main Menu

CAP's Brand Image

Started by FlyNavy, March 15, 2015, 11:55:03 PM

LSThiker

Quote from: Private Investigator on March 18, 2015, 01:25:31 PM
Why does this thread remind me of, "The Emperor's New Clothes"?

When you go to McDonalds, anywhere in the world, and you order a #1 combo you know what you are getting. Now with CAP you go on a roadtrip and visit three Squadrons in three different states you have no ideal what their mindset is except they are a CAP Squadron, either good, bad or indifferent. JMHO ...  8)

I understand what you are saying, but that is not true.  A #1 in the US does not equal a #1 in India, mainly because the McDonalds in India do not serve beef.  Also, you will find McDonalds vegetarian options in India that you will not find in the US.  So, really, if you order a #1 any where in the US, you know what you are getting.  :D

NIN

It really does get to the crux of the matter. What is our brand identity? What are our core competencies? What is our mission? Who are our customers? Stake holders?

I think if you got 25 CAP people in a room and ask them these questions, you would have 35 answers. different answers.

And let's face it, sometimes right here on cap talk we see this.

So then we go to make a change. Let's use a logo as an example. 10 people think it's great, 10 people think it's the worst thing they've ever seen, 10 people are ambivalent, 10 scream "what about 73 years of history?", 10 more say " will it make the plane fly different? "  and 10 say "and I can only get it from Vanguard, right?"

And therein lies part of the problem. everybody wants change, but nobody seems to want to embrace change. and we can't all agree on what the change needs to be.

I was being a little goofy with my example,  at the end of the day, really that's what we have. nobody seems to be able to salute and execute once the decision is made.

So really, here and now, what do you think our brand identity is?

Knowing this crowd here, for every 10 responses, only two will be similar to another..

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Ned

Quote from: AirAux on March 18, 2015, 12:36:04 PM
Hey, I got an idea.  [ . . . ] Maybe if National would address the problems we have mentioned in this thread instead of trying to invent something with their name on it, we would actually move forward. 

So what is your idea?  Tell us.  You are a relatively senior CAP officer who has been a member for decades.  Since you expressing your opinion so strongly here, you clearly must have some better ideas.

What is it that "those guys" at NHQ should be doing? 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Ned on March 18, 2015, 04:10:10 PM
Hey, I got an idea.  [ . . . ] Maybe if National would address the problems we have mentioned in this thread instead of trying to invent something with their name on it, we would actually move forward. 

So what is your idea?  Tell us.  You are a relatively senior CAP officer who has been a member for decades.  Since you expressing your opinion so strongly here, you clearly must have some better ideas.

Have more blond kids on recruiting materials was one of them IIRC.

AirAux

How about sending out fund raising letters to the seniors to set up scholarships for the diversity we seek.  you know, the inner city children.  I don't have a problem with that per se, but we have enough of our current cadets that need assistance with uniforms, encampments, etc.  To provide for some of the cadets and not all of the cadets is a form of cadet abuse according to our new training.  I recently recieved notice of our Wing Conference where it was point out that the "preferred" uniform for the conference was Air Force Blues with Jackets or corporate Dress and for the banquet mess dress or black tie.  In our squadron we have recently had a family of 6, with two elgible children and the parents wanting to join.  We had to wait three months for them to get all of the membership fees together.  Another family of 4, a military family had to take two months to get all of their membership fees together.  Do you think they can afford to attend a Wing Conference?  Have we become a flying club for the rich only?  Perhaps we need to become the Air Force Auxillary as a brand and narrow our programs down to Air Search and Rescue and the Cadet program?  Do we really need an Aerospace education program?  Isn't that already included in the senior flight program and the cadet program?  Do we need to include emergency services per se?  There are plenty of ground search groups available.  Perhaps we could have the senior squadrons or members assist with money raising activities for the cadet squadrons?  I am throwing out my suggestions to stimulate others so feel free to jump in.  I love CAP and I am not happy with the direction we seem to be heading.  Do we really want to put ourselves on the market for hire?  Ie, drug search??   

FW

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 18, 2015, 04:32:01 PM
Quote from: Ned on March 18, 2015, 04:10:10 PM

Have more blond kids on recruiting materials was one of them IIRC.

Thus the need for diversity in CAP...

Ned asks what NHQ could do for CAP's branding image to improve.  One of the first things needed, IMHO, is sticking to a final Organizational Logo, which for better or worse, becomes the logo used for every function.  If the logo is the "triangle thingy", so be it; just use it exclusively.  The next step is for our senior leaders to "pound the pavement" and motivate the masses to believe in the "brand". This can be easily added to existing modalities.  With membership buy in, more become messengers for the brand.  Generating interest to the outside world becomes easier when more show our branding.  For Branding to be successful, the organization needs to believe before anyone else does.  Here is where a judicious use of marketing, merchandising, and preaching comes in.  The more the merrier here. 

CAP has much to offer.  Guys like me have been enjoying it's brand for decades.  I've gotten way more out of it than I've put in.  It is a reason I'm the handsome, successful man of today... We just need to show off our successes, develop better ways of telling our story, and get our brand out to make it readily identifiable.   8)

RiverAux

Besides the logo, the most basic element of branding that CAP fails at is uniformity of appearance.  For most businesses and organizations this isn't an issue, but as a paramilitary organization that wears uniforms we will always have trouble given the current AF/CAP uniform divergence.

Everyone understands differences between work and formal uniforms, but so long as we have multiple options in each category we're going to end up with a hodgepodge of uniforms being worn and will cause confusion amongst the people we're working with or trying to recruit. 

How big is this problem?  Well, in the overall scheme of things not major, but in so far as the general topic of branding is concerned, its right up there near the top. 

Panache

Quote from: NIN on March 18, 2015, 11:08:46 AM
Quote from: Panache on March 18, 2015, 06:49:16 AM
It's not a good thing when "diversity" is a code word for "we need more (group) to make us look good, so we're going to offer special privileges to (group).", as is sadly more common than not.

What special privilege is that in CAP? And for whom?

I was speaking rhetorically in the case of CAP, but in both academia and the real world, "quotas" are a real thing.

NIN

Quote from: Panache on March 18, 2015, 06:16:32 PM
I was speaking rhetorically in the case of CAP, but in both academia and the real world, "quotas" are a real thing.

I'll give you that quotas are a real thing in those environments.

CAP doesn't have much beyond someone standing looking over the dining facility at encampment going "Hmmmm, we don't have a ton of diversity here, do we?"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Ned

Quote from: AirAux on March 18, 2015, 04:54:37 PM
How about sending out fund raising letters to the seniors to set up scholarships for the diversity we seek.  you know, the inner city children.  I don't have a problem with that per se, but we have enough of our current cadets that need assistance with uniforms, encampments, etc.  To provide for some of the cadets and not all of the cadets is a form of cadet abuse according to our new training.  I recently recieved notice of our Wing Conference where it was point out that the "preferred" uniform for the conference was Air Force Blues with Jackets or corporate Dress and for the banquet mess dress or black tie.  In our squadron we have recently had a family of 6, with two elgible children and the parents wanting to join.  We had to wait three months for them to get all of the membership fees together.  Another family of 4, a military family had to take two months to get all of their membership fees together.  Do you think they can afford to attend a Wing Conference?  Have we become a flying club for the rich only?  Perhaps we need to become the Air Force Auxillary as a brand and narrow our programs down to Air Search and Rescue and the Cadet program?  Do we really need an Aerospace education program?  Isn't that already included in the senior flight program and the cadet program?  Do we need to include emergency services per se?  There are plenty of ground search groups available.  Perhaps we could have the senior squadrons or members assist with money raising activities for the cadet squadrons?  I am throwing out my suggestions to stimulate others so feel free to jump in.  I love CAP and I am not happy with the direction we seem to be heading.  Do we really want to put ourselves on the market for hire?  Ie, drug search??   

I hear you are concerned about the high cost of CAP for the members.  And you appear to be concerned about some of our Congressionally-mandated missions.

As worthy as those topics are (not to mentions diversity which also appears to be important to you), they don't appear to have much connection to the PA / branding discussion in this thread.  Again, you have been articulate in your disagreement with certain aspects of CAP policies here.  That continues to suggest that based on your decades of experience in CAP, including service as a unit commander and legal officer, you must have some specific suggestions to offer in this thread concerning our branding.

What are they?

AirAux

Ned, I do appreciate your patience.  As you can tell I feel this is a very serious situation.  I love CAP and have since WIWAC.  Looking at the Brand book, I identified some points therein that I like.  We do need a uniformed presence at most appearances.  That said, we need uniformity.  Be it Air Force Blue or Candy Striper red, we need to show a uniform appearance so everyone will be able to say, Oh, look, a CAP cadet/senior/member.  I think our name throws people off.  Civil Air Patrol means very little to almost anybody.  If we called ourselves the Air Force Auxillary, many if not most would have an idea that we are linked or a part fo the Air Force, a well established honorable entity.  We need to present ourselves as one for a brand to work.  If you see a young boy, wearing a blue shirt with a yellow neckerchef, you know you got a Cub Scout on your hands.  We need to strive for that.  If that means we have to give up the Air Force Blues, so be it.  Khaki pants with a light blue shirt or something would work, if we were all wearing them.  We have very little need for BDU's or jungle hats or even blue BDU's for us fatties.  They do not have a slimming effect.  Perhaps a new Logo, something with a modified Air Force symbol, or one of the old Air Force symbols, establishing our lengthy service with our Mother Force?  I will see what kind of responses I get and then add more if warranted.  I am not an enemy of the people, I just want to see some positive change so CAP will be around for it's 100th Anniversay..   

SeanM

Branding and uniforms...  and logos...  certainly something that, IMHO, there is way too much "diversity" with in the current regulations.  AirAux hit is pretty squarely, I think.  If you gather a group of scouts, they have the same basic uniform.  If you gather a group of {pick your branch} military folks, they also have the same basic uniform.  Pick a group of CAP officers/cadets, and that is not the case.  Air Force blues vs. grey/whites, camo vs blue BDUs, polo shirts (of which there are two approved varieties), green vs. blue flight suits, not to mention three different logos/seals that are in use, and it almost seems like we have an identity crisis.  Let's pick one version of uniforms - even if it means some changes.

I haven't spoken up much because I haven't been around for nearly as long as many of you, and I enjoy reading the variety of thoughts and opinions here.  I regret waiting until last year to join.  Should've, could've, would've, I never acted on my thought of joining 30+ years ago.  So I don't have as much history or time invested in the organization yet.  But, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I would love to be here for the next 30 years.  My hope is that CAP is as relevant then as it has been in the past.

Sean

Sean McClanahan, Lt Col, CAP
Squadron Commander, Delaware Legislative Squadron
Director of Emergency Services - Delaware Wing

LSThiker

Quote from: SeanM on March 18, 2015, 07:41:45 PM
If you gather a group of {pick your branch} military folks, they also have the same basic uniform. 

Not quite.  Currently, each service has their own uniforms.  Then within the service there are numerous uniforms.  If you take the Army, for example, you could have:  ACUs, flight suits, Class A, Class B, Cook's uniform, scrubs, tanker overalls, polos (recruiters), etc.  However, within each kind of uniform there is a standard uniform (barring the various operational uniforms for the ACUs and flight suits such as FRACUs, Multi-cam, DCUs, tan flight suit, green flight suit, Aircrew ACU (do not remember the actual name) etc). 

Unfortunately, the uniform requirements are a bit complicated from my understanding.  Prior to the introduction of the BBDUs, all SMs wore BDUs.  Those that met weight/grooming, wore rank.  Those that did not, wore CAP cutouts (cloth).  this was a bit complicated for new members when you see 2d Lt salute a Lt Col that wore CAP cutouts.  I very much doubt the USAF would be willing to go back to everyone wearing the USAF-style uniform.  I wonder if the CAP-USAF/CC would have a problem with the Senior Members only wearing the Corporate Uniform and cadets wearing the USAF-style uniform (except those over 18 that do not meet the weight requirements)?

However, one thing I would probably due is eliminate the CAP polo shirt as that seems to have become the defacto uniform for a large number of senior members.  Do not get me wrong, I like wearing them as they are comfortable and easy.  However, when you see people at SARXs and Wing Conferences wearing them when all the cadets and other senior members are wearing BDUs/BBDUs and Service Dress/Aviator, respectively, it does not look professional.  At the vary least, put some serious restrictions on its wear.  For example, not on SARs/SARXs, not around cadets, not at conferences that require a formal appearance, etc. 

Now I am just rambling about uniforms.  Sorry, my fault.

Ned, what about a METL put together by NHQ for each region and wing to follow and report?

Ned

OK, here are the suggestions I have seen so far:

1.  Pick a single logo use it exclusively.  (FW)

1A.  Make the logo more AF-related (AirAux)

2.  Reduce the number of uniforms - use them for branding.  (AirAux & Sean M))

This is a decent start.  Anyone else?

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Ned on March 18, 2015, 09:23:17 PM

Regarding the CAP logo, I believe we've already done that. The CAP Seal is not a logo and it's used for specific business of an official nature, as specified in CAPR 900-2. In fact, CAPM 39-1 shouldn't prescribed the CAP Seal for the CAP Polo shirt, IMHO. The CAP Emblem or Command Patch also has specific used IAW CAPR 900-2, and should be used for uniforms such as the CAP Polo. The CAP Triangle Logo is the official logo to be used for branding purposes to include recruiting materials, newsletters, posters, websites, social media, etc. We have three distinct emblems used for different things just like the Air Force has a Seal, an Emblem and Logo for similar purposes.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: LSThiker on March 18, 2015, 08:57:32 PM
Quote from: SeanM on March 18, 2015, 07:41:45 PM
If you gather a group of {pick your branch} military folks, they also have the same basic uniform. 

Not quite.  Currently, each service has their own uniforms.  Then within the service there are numerous uniforms.  If you take the Army, for example, you could have:  ACUs, flight suits, Class A, Class B, Cook's uniform, scrubs, tanker overalls, polos (recruiters), etc.  However, within each kind of uniform there is a standard uniform (barring the various operational uniforms for the ACUs and flight suits such as FRACUs, Multi-cam, DCUs, tan flight suit, green flight suit, Aircrew ACU (do not remember the actual name) etc). 

Unfortunately, the uniform requirements are a bit complicated from my understanding.  Prior to the introduction of the BBDUs, all SMs wore BDUs.  Those that met weight/grooming, wore rank.  Those that did not, wore CAP cutouts (cloth).  this was a bit complicated for new members when you see 2d Lt salute a Lt Col that wore CAP cutouts.  I very much doubt the USAF would be willing to go back to everyone wearing the USAF-style uniform.  I wonder if the CAP-USAF/CC would have a problem with the Senior Members only wearing the Corporate Uniform and cadets wearing the USAF-style uniform (except those over 18 that do not meet the weight requirements)?

However, one thing I would probably due is eliminate the CAP polo shirt as that seems to have become the defacto uniform for a large number of senior members.  Do not get me wrong, I like wearing them as they are comfortable and easy.  However, when you see people at SARXs and Wing Conferences wearing them when all the cadets and other senior members are wearing BDUs/BBDUs and Service Dress/Aviator, respectively, it does not look professional.  At the vary least, put some serious restrictions on its wear.  For example, not on SARs/SARXs, not around cadets, not at conferences that require a formal appearance, etc. 

Now I am just rambling about uniforms.  Sorry, my fault.

Ned, what about a METL put together by NHQ for each region and wing to follow and report?

Even though the military has different uniforms for different occasions and functions, their uniforms are available to all their members within those functions. That's not the case with CAP. I agree with others that the "diversity" of CAP uniforms presents a branding challenge for our unified corporate image.

LSThiker

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 18, 2015, 09:48:47 PM
Even though the military has different uniforms for different occasions and functions, their uniforms are available to all their members within those functions. That's not the case with CAP. I agree with others that the "diversity" of CAP uniforms presents a branding challenge for our unified corporate image.

I agree.  Knowing that the USAF will never sign off on SMs wearing the Service Dress that do not meet weight and/or grooming requirements, that is why I suggested that all SMs are required to wear the corporate uniform.  Cadets should remain in the USAF-style uniform.  Then either remove or seriously restrict the wear of the polo uniforms along.  Of course, I would make a few changes to the aviator shirt, but that has been already discussed in other threads and this is not really the thread for it.  I think it would really help with public understanding when there is a easily seen uniform.   

Bobble

Quote from: Ned on March 18, 2015, 09:23:17 PM

I do.  I have always wondered why Squadrons support local events and activities by providing traffic/parking lot control, yet I have never seen or heard of a Squadron or Group entering a team into an athletic event such as a Wounded Warrior 5k/10k or a Tough Mudder race.  Maybe it does happen, but I've never heard of it.  Think of the possibilities if a CAP cadet unit did both the traffic/parking lot control and then had a team (or teams) entered that wore PT gear with a CAP logo or squadron t-shirt.  I've seen  ROTC cadets and pre-enlistment Marine Recruit teams (under the guidance of their Recruiters) enter these events as teams with distinctive t-shirts, and even during the races (while we were running) people were asking them where or what school (in the case of the ROTC cadets) they were from.  And if you could get together a reasonably in-shape team of Senior Members in CAP PT gear to run in an event, who knows ...

In a similar vein, during my time in CAP I have not seen much in the way of inter-Squadron or inter-Group competitions focusing on physical skills, land navigation skills, team leadership skills that A) Raise the esprit-de-corp of the participating units, and B) Are visible to the public (occurring at County or State public parks as an example) and so could raise more awareness of what CAP offers.  Most competitions at the Group level (between Squadrons) I've seen or heard of happened at a local High School on a Saturday morning and/or Sunday morning, where for sure few non-CAP participants would ever know what was going on.  Does anyone know of Squadrons that compete with JROTC units or other cadet organizations in events that focus on GT/PT-style skills and abilities?

As for the the earlier comments about structural/content uniformity amongst CAP unit websites, I would have to agree that many Squadron and Group web-sites are woefully out of date and in some cases (certainly Squadron-level) are simply dead links.  There has got to be a better way, especially if the study is recommending greater participation in social media.  Imagine the frustration of a parent whose 9th grade kid gets all excited about a CAP twitter feed, and when Dad Googles the local Squadrons all he comes up with are dead links or web-pages that haven't been updated since 2006.  Bummer.  Is review of a unit's web-site for content and currency incorporated into the SUI process?  If not, maybe it should be.  Perhaps National should mandate use of a fixed group of web-site templates that units could chose from.

By the way, anyone know the cost of the "Branding" study?  Seems sort of light in the way of substance, just curious.
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

SarDragon

Comments interspersed.

Quote from: Bobble on March 19, 2015, 01:29:43 AM

I do.  I have always wondered why Squadrons support local events and activities by providing traffic/parking lot control, yet I have never seen or heard of a Squadron or Group entering a team into an athletic event such as a Wounded Warrior 5k/10k or a Tough Mudder race.  Maybe it does happen, but I've never heard of it.  Think of the possibilities if a CAP cadet unit did both the traffic/parking lot control and then had a team (or teams) entered that wore PT gear with a CAP logo or squadron t-shirt.  I've seen  ROTC cadets and pre-enlistment Marine Recruit teams (under the guidance of their Recruiters) enter these events as teams with distinctive t-shirts, and even during the races (while we were running) people were asking them where or what school (in the case of the ROTC cadets) they were from.  And if you could get together a reasonably in-shape team of Senior Members in CAP PT gear to run in an event, who knows ...

Big if, for seniors or cadets. At my previous unit, I used to do the mile run with the cadets, and usually finished mid-pack, at age 55. Fewer than 25%of the cadets were in good enough shape to consider running a 5K or 10K. There might be half a dozen SMs in my unit who are potential entrants in this kind of activity, and most of them are active military who aren't interested in another PT event outside of work.

QuoteIn a similar vein, during my time in CAP I have not seen much in the way of inter-Squadron or inter-Group competitions focusing on physical skills, land navigation skills, team leadership skills that A) Raise the esprit-de-corp of the participating units, and B) Are visible to the public (occurring at County or State public parks as an example) and so could raise more awareness of what CAP offers.  Most competitions at the Group level (between Squadrons) I've seen or heard of happened at a local High School on a Saturday morning and/or Sunday morning, where for sure few non-CAP participants would ever know what was going on.  Does anyone know of Squadrons that compete with JROTC units or other cadet organizations in events that focus on GT/PT-style skills and abilities?

Again, it's usually a matter of numbers. Many units are doing good to keep their weekly activities going, without getting into this kind of thing, which is outside the normal program. Those who do have the time or interest usually go for color guard or drill team, and the internal competitions.

QuoteAs for the the earlier comments about structural/content uniformity amongst CAP unit websites, I would have to agree that many Squadron and Group web-sites are woefully out of date and in some cases (certainly Squadron-level) are simply dead links.  There has got to be a better way, especially if the study is recommending greater participation in social media.  Imagine the frustration of a parent whose 9th grade kid gets all excited about a CAP twitter feed, and when Dad Googles the local Squadrons all he comes up with are dead links or web-pages that haven't been updated since 2006.  Bummer.  Is review of a unit's web-site for content and currency incorporated into the SUI process?  If not, maybe it should be.  Perhaps National should mandate use of a fixed group of web-site templates that units could chose from.

That's been beaten to death in other threads, but basically, there's an ebb and flow of talent and interest. The gung-ho member with the skilz and interest ages out/burns out/moves out, and the site falls off until someone new steps up. Rinse, repeat. Until that problem is solved, efforts at the NHQ level are pretty much doomed at the outset.

QuoteBy the way, anyone know the cost of the "Branding" study?  Seems sort of light in the way of substance, just curious.

No answer for that one.

I see these as good ideas, but executing them is going to take a lot of work.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FW

Quote from: SarDragon on March 19, 2015, 06:29:57 AM
I see these as good ideas, but executing them is going to take a lot of work.

Not too many years ago, CAP and CAP-USAF had more than enough paid employees scattered around the country to assist in branding.  This isn't the case now.  The volunteers must to do the job; we just need a framework for action.  We must also find a way to insert our "brand" in ways that don't violate our S.O.W.  The goal should be more growth and financial stability for those missions of CAP which are not funded by taxes.  These missions are AE and CP.  I think Bobbie is on the right track; anything that provides a positive awareness of CAP is good for branding.  Does "Wreaths Across America" do it? What else gives our "Brand" positive awareness?