Criticism of Rangers & Blue Berets

Started by Blackhawk, October 09, 2013, 06:55:50 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: sarmed1 on October 10, 2013, 03:27:17 PMinteresting statistic?  50%.  Out of how many instances. 2....10.....100?
Honestly (other than yours) I have seen more examples of "...I have/had this cadet who________....."   leaning more towards flying pigs argument than yours.....

I can't argue that - day-to-day the majority of the issue is bound to be cadets with attitude causing issues since they both
make up a larger cadre and are also more inclined towards that sort of nonsense.

I had a singular experience with them in a real-world, large-scale event with very poor results.  Their attitude, not to mention
the reaction of their wing leadership at the time, and follow-on actions told me pretty much all I needed to know.

SHTF, they had the opportunity to either "rise up and show the world, or act as expected", they did the latter. 

You can't make a second first impression.

"That Others May Zoom"

sarmed1

NIN
QuoteOr tell people that because they're a Hawn Mtn medic, they're like an EMT, but better. (no kidding)

No kidding; as someone that works full time in the EMS field, this isnt always a stretch.... there have been a number of people I have encountered (in or out of HMRS) that arent EMT's that have a much better grasp of the actuall responsibilites and level of competency then some of the partners I have had over the years.

But point taken

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

FW

Reruns... I love reruns.... ;) 

On a serious note worth restating; CAP will close down any activity which is not performing up to minimum standards regarding the proper feeding of its cadets.  It happened to PJOC in 2002(?) for a year. 

It's been said many times; cadets will get an attitude, at times, when they accomplish things most do not.  It's our "jobs", as mentors and teachers, to remind them they must adhere to our "core values".  Maybe add in some instruction on humility....

Eclipse

^ Then why multiply the attitude by continuing to allow "devices of office" to be worn outside the activities?

There's nothing "special" about the activities, nor the training (at least in a CAP context), yet this is allowed to persist, which,
frankly, is the core of the problem - members who feel "special" because they went to an NCSA while never having actually "done something, while other members with an actual track record have to deal with the "special".

That's the problem.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

As I said before, I'm sure both of these are good activities. The (potential) problem may be with the "elite" mentality that may develop in some individuals from a portion of the training, specifically the part geared toward earning the Blue Beret and Ranger tabs.

It's hard for some teenagers (and even some adults) not to get a "big head", once they become a "Blue Beret" or a "Ranger". The Blue Beret Creed, for example, starts with "I am a Blue Beret" and states that "to wear the Blue Beret is a great honor". Whether intentional or not, this type of training can become somewhat of an indoctrination that I doubt stays at NBB once participants are done with the activity.

The Ranger Creed for Hawk Mountain starts with "It is my duty as a member of the Rangers of the Civil Air Patrol ground search & rescue service..." As far as I know, such service doesn't exist, but when members come back to their home units, I can see how it would be hard to convince them otherwise; that while the training and experience they received may have been great, they're not part of an elite team but members of CAP just like everyone else. Their HMR training doesn't confer then any additional privileges or qualifications beyond the Ops Quals attained though the standard ES training program.

Again, I'm not opposed to these activities. Heck, I've even considered attending at some point. But maybe the "elite" part of the training needs to be tempered a bit. The fact that participants can earn special uniform items doesn't help mitigate the potential attitude that some participants may display when they return home.

Flying Pig

3 Pages so far.......  do I hear a fourth!!!???

NIN

Quote from: sarmed1 on October 10, 2013, 03:35:30 PM
NIN
QuoteOr tell people that because they're a Hawn Mtn medic, they're like an EMT, but better. (no kidding)

No kidding; as someone that works full time in the EMS field, this isnt always a stretch.... there have been a number of people I have encountered (in or out of HMRS) that arent EMT's that have a much better grasp of the actuall responsibilites and level of competency then some of the partners I have had over the years.

But point taken

Hawk Mtn Medic's kit at a CAP event

BP Cuff, 'scope, tacticool C-Collar...

I'm not sure how much of that is "outside of CAP's scope of care"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

Nice hat......  I think SAR teams quite wearing those in about 1982

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 10, 2013, 05:09:40 PM
3 Pages so far.......  do I hear a fourth!!!???

I wonder if this is what HeadHunter had in mind when he started this thread?
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Flying Pig

NIN

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 10, 2013, 05:21:42 PM
Nice hat......  I think SAR teams quite wearing those in about 1982

Judging by the condition, that one was unearthed in the Crimea circa 1900....
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Love it.

A C-Collar and BP Cuff but only one pair of gloves.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 10, 2013, 05:09:40 PM3 Pages so far.......  do I hear a fourth!!!???
At this point, it's still Page 1 for me ;)

Майор Хаткевич

How? I thought I SeT mine to max? Your post is #3 on pg2 for me

a2capt

At the point of the post I quoted, it was still page one. My reply folded to #3 on #2, like you see it.

sardak

I'm disappointed that the owner of that helmet didn't use a red marker to change DANGER to RANGER.

Mike

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: sardak on October 10, 2013, 09:41:02 PM
I'm disappointed that the owner of that helmet didn't use a red marker to change DANGER to RANGER.

Mike

Freudilan slip?

Luis R. Ramos

Eclipse-

There are more gloves under the hard hat...

8)

[Edit] Darn, still three pages!

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SarDragon

Go to Profile, Look and Layout, and change Messages to display per page: to 50.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Blackhawk