Main Menu

Wanting to join CAP

Started by AJ Alvarez65, July 22, 2012, 10:23:55 AM

AJ Alvarez65

Hello, I have been looking into Civil Air Patrol for a while now and I was wanting to ask a few questions (Im going to visit a meeting tomorrow 7/23/12). My first question is to ask if CAP is going to be using the Airman Battle Uniform anytime soon? My second question is are the promotion tests hard or easy to complete? My next question is can I bring a friend with me to my first visit so that he can see if he would be interested in CAP? My last question is does the squadron you join teach you the drills or do you learn them on your own?

Danger

When joining CAP, You will be taught all the drill( or at least I was) . And don't worry about ABUs, BDUs will be with us for a while.

My experience with promotion tests- you definitely have to read the material, and by doing so you will pass. But do them early, because failure is VERY COMMON. 

You can bring up all of your questions to a staff member at the squadron. Make sure to ask lots of questions!

Good luck!
"Never take anything too seriously."

AJ Alvarez65

I forgot to ask this aswell but are CAP Cadets allowed to wear their uniforms in public? Say for example you finish a meeting and right after decide to go to the mall with your friends are you allowed to wear your CAP uniform?

Thanks for replying, Helps me out quite alot

Danger

You are not allowed to.

I sent you a PM. Good luck with everything! I'm glad to help!
"Never take anything too seriously."

Private Investigator

Quote from: AJ Alvarez65 on July 22, 2012, 10:23:55 AM
Hello, I have been looking into Civil Air Patrol for a while now and I was wanting to ask a few questions (Im going to visit a meeting tomorrow 7/23/12). My first question is to ask if CAP is going to be using the Airman Battle Uniform anytime soon? My second question is are the promotion tests hard or easy to complete? My next question is can I bring a friend with me to my first visit so that he can see if he would be interested in CAP? My last question is does the squadron you join teach you the drills or do you learn them on your own?

On ABU ah NO!

I am thinking you are a Cadet type so the Cadet stuff will teach you everything   :angel:

Critical AOA

Why all the interest or concern in what uniform you will be wearing or when you are allowed to wear it?  That is the least concern you should have when joining.

CAP is not about the uniform, it is about what you do, what you learn, what you experience and what you contribute.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

AJ Alvarez65

Yea I know, I was asking becuase I dont wanna spend alot on a BDU and then like a week or 2 later have to buy the ABU. Im only 14 haha dont get paid much and I tend to buy my stuff with my money.

Eclipse

Quote from: AJ Alvarez65 on July 22, 2012, 10:34:14 PM
Yea I know, I was asking becuase I dont wanna spend alot on a BDU and then like a week or 2 later have to buy the ABU. Im only 14 haha dont get paid much and I tend to buy my stuff with my money.

That's not how it works in the military or CAP - once announced as approved, uniform changes have a transition period of 1-2 years, especially
when the change requires a member to spend money.

"That Others May Zoom"

AJ Alvarez65

Alright, thanks for the help by the way.