Main Menu

New CAP ID-Card policy

Started by Eclipse, October 26, 2010, 05:40:29 PM

peter rabbit

I like the new photo ID. I had paid $4 this spring before the new policy because it looks more professional, and has provided an easier way to identify myself when going on-base. My wife, who isn't techo-savvy, took a head and shoulders shot. I uploaded the picture and adjusted, no sweat.

From what I understand, the savings on eliminating new cards on promotions, etc pretty much covers the cost of issuing photo IDs instead.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SarDragon on November 13, 2010, 07:52:05 AM
We have membership cards, and we have ID cards.

The former is what many folks refer to as the "library card." It is not, by itself, an adequate form of identification because it doesn't have a picture. The latter has a picture, and proves that you are you.

I have had to present identification every time I've entered a military base prosecuting an ELT search, and I use my membership card, and a picture ID to get through the gate.

Dave, aren't you a "Brown Card?" 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 13, 2010, 05:09:41 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 13, 2010, 07:52:05 AM
We have membership cards, and we have ID cards.

The former is what many folks refer to as the "library card." It is not, by itself, an adequate form of identification because it doesn't have a picture. The latter has a picture, and proves that you are you.

I have had to present identification every time I've entered a military base prosecuting an ELT search, and I use my membership card, and a picture ID to get through the gate.

Dave, aren't you a "Brown Card?"

Well, "Tan Card", and indeed I am, in addition to being a "Blue Card". I, and some of the gate guards, prefer ID associated with the purpose of the visit. I also have a base sticker, which aids access regardless of which ID I present.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

spacecommand

Quote from: RiverAux on November 05, 2010, 09:56:18 PM
Got my new id card today and it looks perfectly fine to me.  If there are any graphic design problems they aren't terribly obvious.

I was under the impression that the "new" photo ID card was like the "old" photo ID card, however looking at the photo someone just posted they are not the same. 

I got my photo ID a few months ago and it essentially looks like this:

http://capblog.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/newcapidcard_1.jpg

The main difference is the MAJCOM is the current MAJCOM (without the US), but it still has the jagged edges and all (like a cut & paste hack job).  The "new" one someone posted appears to have a nice smoother MAJCOM with no hologram.  Also not seen in the above image, but my ID card has a white border going all around it.  The new card appears to be much "smoother" in appearance.

Is the new card on PVC card stock (like the old Photo ID card) or is it the stock like the old "library card"?

JohnKachenmeister

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before, but what is the purpose of the barcode?  Are we getting barcode readers at some future point to speed mission  check-in?
Another former CAP officer

peter rabbit

Alabama has used a bar code scanner to scan membership cards or 101 cards for meetings, SAREXs, etc on several occasions.

Eclipse

I haven't seen one in use, yet, but they are cheap and most smartphones have that capability now.

With a copy of CAPWatch loaded you could use Excel out of the box with some macros to do your check in for just about any activity.

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I used the bar codes for check in at CTWG's GTE earlier this month. Basic readers (USB or keyboard based) can be gotten fairly cheaply on e-Bay.

The bar code on the ID and the 101s (if you install the font) are in the format *999999*. The asterisks serve to cause entry of the digits and the equivalent of pressing the  return key. This worked very well with the IMU

DBlair

Quote from: spacecommand on November 28, 2010, 09:54:02 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on November 05, 2010, 09:56:18 PM
Got my new id card today and it looks perfectly fine to me.  If there are any graphic design problems they aren't terribly obvious.

I was under the impression that the "new" photo ID card was like the "old" photo ID card, however looking at the photo someone just posted they are not the same. 

I got my photo ID a few months ago and it essentially looks like this:

http://capblog.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/newcapidcard_1.jpg

The main difference is the MAJCOM is the current MAJCOM (without the US), but it still has the jagged edges and all (like a cut & paste hack job).  The "new" one someone posted appears to have a nice smoother MAJCOM with no hologram.  Also not seen in the above image, but my ID card has a white border going all around it.  The new card appears to be much "smoother" in appearance.

Is the new card on PVC card stock (like the old Photo ID card) or is it the stock like the old "library card"?

So, the new cards don't have the eagle hologram?

I ordered a photo ID card on 15 Nov, but have not yet received it. I'm curious what changes will be seen upon its arrival.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2010, 02:52:03 PM
most smartphones have that capability now.

Yeah, but I've yet to see one that acted as a keyboard wedge, the only ones I have seen use it to scan UPCs to comparison-shop products or that simply display the encoded value (or go to an encoded URL, dial an encoded phone number, etc).   

Eclipse

Quote from: JoeTomasone on November 29, 2010, 04:11:57 PM

Yeah, but I've yet to see one that acted as a keyboard wedge, the only ones I have seen use it to scan UPCs to comparison-shop products or that simply display the encoded value (or go to an encoded URL, dial an encoded phone number, etc).

True, but the only thing in the bar code is your CAP ID.  It would not be overly complicated to write an app that scanned the code
and inserted it into a table or spreadsheet at check-in.

Which is actually not a bad idea for encampments and similar, now that I think about it.

Hmmmm....

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2010, 04:29:10 PM

True, but the only thing in the bar code is your CAP ID.  It would not be overly complicated to write an app that scanned the code
and inserted it into a table or spreadsheet at check-in.

Which is actually not a bad idea for encampments and similar, now that I think about it.

Hmmmm....
Cost benefit? 

Are you going to have every Squadron/Wing/etc. create such an app/interface?   The barcode doesn't contain anything but the CAP ID.  So, is there truly that much of a time savings to warrant the effort?  Not really.

If National wants to put together an app, test it, then distribute along with scanners, then great.   But the real fact is the bar code is little more than show to make it appear quasi-official.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

You can't do an ROI on something which is free to start with.

Android apps cost zero to develop (the other platform is on the decline, so no point in spending money or time there).

This, like many other things, would be a couple hours of somebody's time because the "felt like it" - from there, use it or don't, just like the
encampment management program.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Many barcode reader apps don't work particularly well.  That's because they're not really reading the barcode like a scanner does.  They use the camera to take a picture of the barcode, the image is analyzed and the code is then returned.  It's common to have issues because the camera cannot/is not properly focus to produce quality images, particularly in lower light situations.  Not particularly reliable due to multiple variables.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2010, 05:05:46 PM
You can't do an ROI on something which is free to start with.

Android apps cost zero to develop (the other platform is on the decline, so no point in spending money or time there).
See post above.

Too many variables to make this a reliable option.

And a cost/benefit to be done, even if it's "free".

Eclipse

So if you have a cheap phone get an old bar code scanner on ebay for $10 or dig a Cue Cat out of the bottom of your sock drawer.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2010, 05:15:57 PM
So if you have a cheap phone get an old bar code scanner on ebay for $10 or dig a Cue Cat out of the bottom of your sock drawer.
Are you sending our squadron the fully developed app with interface and the $10 for the scanner?

Otherwise we'll keep the <2 seconds it takes to hand write a CAP ID and use the $10 to buy other squadron supplies. :)

manfredvonrichthofen

I just got mine, and I think it is a rather good improvement. The only thing I could suggest would be a nice hologram of the CAP Seal.

Eclipse

Give me a break - it was an off-handed comment, not a fully-baked idea with a regulation requiring use.

Yes, I'd send the unit the app, or the Excel macros, or whatever.

Continue your carving of stone tablets, or don't...

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

I have several USB and PS/2 keyboard wedge barcode scanners that travel with my "kit" of stuff to CAP events.

Things like SAREXs, etc. Signing in people is a snap. ...and it eliminates the "do you have your ID card?" crap.

"We" don't "get" much from up above, "we" have to fend for ourselves most of the time. I've bought a few of these things over the years. They are horribly handy with book and laserdisc/DVD collections, hard drive RMA generating, etc.