Main Menu

New CAP ID-Card policy

Started by Eclipse, October 26, 2010, 05:40:29 PM

sardak

DoD is implementing DBIDS (Defense Biometric Identifcation System) worldwide. It is a form of access to DoD facilities and is required of everyone - active duty military, retirees, Department of Defense contractors, dependents and civilians. Part of the biometrics are your picture and fingerprint stored digitally in the card. As you get to the entrance, the guard has a handheld scanner and your picture and other info pops up on the scanner's screen. As of the end of July, 30 Air Force bases were using DBIDS. Peterson AFB in Colorado was the first base to implement the system, and CAP members requiring access were issued DBIDS cards. The cards don't have chips and provide physical access control only, unlike CACs which provide other levels of access.

Vandenberg AFB is implementing the system now and Maxwell transitions to the system starting in January, so maybe NHQ will figure that something needs to be done nationally.

http://www.maxwellgunterdispatch.com/article/20101015/DISPATCH01/101015009/1114/DISPATCH

Beginning in January, Maxwell-Gunter will start implementing the Defense Biometric Identification System to register everyone requiring access to the base.  Staff Sgt. Joshua Allen, 42nd Security Forces Squadron NCO in charge of pass and registration, said all DOD cards, such as Common Access Cards, merely have to be scanned at any one of several locations to be  registered in the system. He said those who possess cards that cannot be scanned, such as dependent and retiree ID cards, will be issued DBIDS cards. DBIDS will be linked to the National Crime Information Center and be able to flag a person with outstanding arrest warrants who might be trying to enter the base.

The sergeant said about 50,000 registrations will be necessary for the Maxwell-Gunter workforce, with an additional 27,000 retiree and 18,000 student registrations required. He said the initial program is funded by Air Education and Training Command, with the 42nd ABW assuming funding responsibilities once the program is in place.

From other sources on DBIDS - "Defense officials noted that DBIDS provides a significant boost in security. In the first 2 million people who attempted to enter bases under DBIDS, some 54,000 were turned around, catching a significant number of people who were not supposed to be on base, officials said."  DBIDS can also be used to register vehicles, guns and other property.

Mike

Cms.sloane

My question concering cadets who already have the ID Card with the pictures on them. I paid for mine out of pocket, but will I still be able to get it when i have to renew my membership in 47 days?

RLM10_2_06

As a new member who is probably getting one of these things, can somebody provide me a sample picture and some relevant sizing information (I'll probably be using Paint to resize it heheh) to assure that I get this right the first time? Sounds ridiculous, but I don't want to go through the trouble of taking a picture, uploading it on eServices, and then having to re-order and PAY for an ID card because they "didn't like my picture" and I end up getting a card with an "IMAGE NOT AVAILABLE" on it.

I tried the "CAP Picture ID Guide" on the site, and it's empty :o

EDIT: I also have Microsoft Office Picture Manager
-Senior Member, CAP
Former C/PVT, AROTC
Former C/Lt Col, AFJROTC
Former C/2LT, AJROTC

Lancer

Quote from: RLM10_2_06 on October 28, 2010, 07:13:00 PM
(I'll probably be using Paint to resize it heheh)

EDIT: I also have Microsoft Office Picture Manager

Download and install a program called Irfanview, free...tons of features and easy to use. You can thank me later.

http://www.irfanview.com

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on October 26, 2010, 05:40:29 PM
Hot off the eServices RSS:

On 1 Oct 2010, the new CAP membership card policy went into effect per the CAP National Executive Committee. Effective on that date, senior members (including Fifty-Year and Life members) and cadets over the age of 18 will receive a new photo membership card at no cost when they join CAP or renew their membership. Senior members who do not have a photo on file will receive the new photo membership card with the words "Picture not available" printed on the card where the photo would have been. As of 1 Jan 2012, per the NEC, it will be mandatory for all CAP senior members to have a photo on file in eServices.

1) About time.
2) I don't know why it will take a year to get photos in - the deadline should be 1 Jan 2011 (IMHO).
3) I don't understand why cadet photos should not also be mandatory.

More work for the time stressed volunteers at the unit level to implement. Fortunately, we've got more than 1 year to implement.

I've never heard of a CAP mission failing because of an ID card issue.  Most senior members have other "official" ID cards/license they carry with them that can easily be matched with the CAP credit card ID, if there's a question about the individual member, actually being that member.

Should be interesting to see the reaction of various base security officials when the new cards are issued and a member shows up at the gate with "picture not available" on the card.   

Also as a matter of policy is CAP going to restrict the members from using the card for "other ID purposes" other than for CAP duties/activities or access as authorized by CAP or military regulations ???
RM

SarDragon

The pictures are supposed to be vetted by the unit commander before they become available for use by NHQ.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 29, 2010, 03:53:26 AMAlso as a matter of policy is CAP going to restrict the members from using the card for "other ID purposes" other than for CAP duties/activities or access as authorized by CAP or military regulations

Such as?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on October 29, 2010, 04:16:41 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 29, 2010, 03:53:26 AMAlso as a matter of policy is CAP going to restrict the members from using the card for "other ID purposes" other than for CAP duties/activities or access as authorized by CAP or military regulations

Such as?

Oh, cashing a check, proof of age related to alcohol purchase, picking up a prescription, checking in at the airport. Use your imagination.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

None of which is CAP's problem...

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Don't give them ideas ... next the entire back side of the card that once had biometrics and other "private" data (privacy is for losers  ;D )

...like the California license/ID: (Lower right)

Link to the front side

SarDragon

When did those start? Mine was issued in Jan 2010, and doesn't look like that.

[edit] From the pic, it looks like April 16.

[2nd edit] First new ones were issued 1 Oct 2010. It's interesting that they've changed the UV visible feature. The olde one is the CA flag, in reddish-orange and green.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Krapenhoeffer

Yeah, the cards use needs to be restricted. Only State issued Photo IDs can be used all of SarDragon's issues. The card should make it clear that it is NOT a state (or Federal) issued photo ID.
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

bosshawk

In almost 18 years in CAP I think that the only time that my membership card has been out of its wallet was at check in at a mission Base or when I had to make a copy for the admin officer in my Sq.  Of course, I have a retired military card and use it for anything having to do with the military, the airlines and almost anything else.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on October 29, 2010, 05:47:10 AM
Yeah, the cards use needs to be restricted. Only State issued Photo IDs can be used all of SarDragon's issues. The card should make it clear that it is NOT a state (or Federal) issued photo ID.

That's funny. I almost never use my state issued identification for any of the purposes I mentioned. I use my retired Navy ID. The only time I can think of that I use the state ID (driver license) is when I rent cars.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

The only person or agency who "restricts" how a respective ID is used, is the person or agency requesting an identification.

If your bank accepts your CAP ID as a photo ID, that is the bank's issue, not CAP's.

"That Others May Zoom"

nesagsar

I suppose I should get into the habit of using my CAC more often, let that hard earned FERO stripe do something for me.

Gung Ho

So once you have the card without the photo and you get your picture online will they send you a new card? Or will you have to buy one at that time? Or maybe a good question is can you buy these cards?

jeders

Quote from: Gung Ho on November 04, 2010, 06:02:12 PM
So once you have the card without the photo and you get your picture online will they send you a new card? Or will you have to buy one at that time? Or maybe a good question is can you buy these cards?

I believe you'll have to request a replacement card, which will cost you $4. Or you can wait until you renew again.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

Well, thats why they're announcing it now and then the compliance date is over a year away. That will cover most of the membership automatically. Those others like myself who renew for longer periods will have to cough up for it.

DakRadz

Quote from: a2capt on November 05, 2010, 12:07:37 AM
Well, thats why they're announcing it now and then the compliance date is over a year away. That will cover most of the membership automatically. Those others like myself who renew for longer periods will have to cough up for it.

Well that's the last time you'll have to worry about- they did away with the multi-year renewal, right?