Retention of Graduating HS Seniors in a School based Squadron

Started by futura, March 31, 2015, 09:11:28 PM

futura

Looking for some advise on this unique challenge. Our wing would like to keep the cadets in the program so they can take advantage of NCSA and the like. Pairing them up with another squadron is a possible solution. School based squadrons are new to me and I'd like to learn more about their dynamics. I'm open to your discussion and ideas!

abdsp51

This is something that's rare in the org.  From my limited experience usually school squadrons are suppose to have their cadets transfer from the unit to another once the cadet leaves the school.  I have heard of cadets staying in a school unit even though they no longer goto the school.  YMMV.

NIN

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 31, 2015, 10:18:17 PM
This is something that's rare in the org.  From my limited experience usually school squadrons are suppose to have their cadets transfer from the unit to another once the cadet leaves the school.  I have heard of cadets staying in a school unit even though they no longer goto the school.  YMMV.

This is me speaking personally,  no national policy or position should be construed from this...  I think the best idea is to have a cadet who has graduated "transition" to a local unit from the school sq.  Yes, I know that this means they might have to travel farther to get to CAP if their school squadron is the only CAP unit for hundreds of miles. 

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

MSG Mac

I work with a Middle School Squadron in Maryland. Our policy is that upon graduating from 8th grade the cadets will transition to either of two Composite Squadrons within the county. The policy is also that they cannot transfer to these units until they are no longer enrolled in the Middle School.  The program works well and is highly regarded by both the school system, the wing, and region HQ's
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

futura