Private Pilots License

Started by Reader5567, March 30, 2015, 03:09:26 PM

Reader5567

My primary reason for joining CAP was to get my pilots license. I was just wondering what the exact process to accomplish this is.
C/CMSgt Thadeus Smith, First Sergeant, Peninsula Composite Squadron.

Pylon

Quote from: Reader5567 on March 30, 2015, 03:09:26 PM
My primary reason for joining CAP was to get my pilots license. I was just wondering what the exact process to accomplish this is.

That might be an issue. The CAP Cadet Program is not intended primarily to conduct flight training towards a PPL. While it is allowed and can be done, it is not a primary purpose of CAP.

Read CAP Regulation 60-3, particularly section 2-8.

Additional insight is available in this CAP Knowledgebase answer from National Headquarters.

Ultimately, while it is allowed, you would need to:
1. Find a Civil Air Patrol senior member who is certified as a CAP Pilot and an FAA Certified Flight Instructor who is also willing to conduct your flight training for free.  No CAP Pilot/CFI is obligated to provide this.
2. Find a Civil Air Patrol aircraft you can use. Go through the proper channels. Pay for its use and gas out of your own pocket in accordance with your wing's policies.
3. Get proper approvals.

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

FW

If you're really interested in getting your ppl, I would also suggest looking into CAP flight encampments.  It is a good start, and there is also the chance you could compete for a flight scholarship.  Getting your Mitchell will go a long way in making this happen,

Plane

My squadron has several CFI's who have done the entirety of PP training for quite a few cadets.
C/2d Lt Matt Claar
Mitchell Award #65121

Reader5567

Quote from: FW on March 30, 2015, 04:02:55 PM
If you're really interested in getting your ppl, I would also suggest looking into CAP flight encampments.  It is a good start, and there is also the chance you could compete for a flight scholarship.  Getting your Mitchell will go a long way in making this happen,

Yeah. Right now I'm only 13 and doubt anyone will be willing to instruct me until I turn 16 (so I can solo) and have attended Flight Academy. I am hoping to get my Mitchell sometime in December of this year or January/February next year.

FW

Well, then, Cadet Smith, you should start working on your glider rating.  You can solo a glider at 14.  It's lots of fun, and you can transition to powered aircraft at 16.  There should be a glider academy near you this summer...

Reader5567

Quote from: FW on March 30, 2015, 09:53:43 PM
Well, then, Cadet Smith, you should start working on your glider rating.  You can solo a glider at 14.  It's lots of fun, and you can transition to powered aircraft at 16.  There should be a glider academy near you this summer...

Yeah, I got alternate for it, but I am probably going to go to Honor Guard Academy

JeffDG

Quote from: FW on March 30, 2015, 09:53:43 PM

Plus, the stick and rudder skills you learn in a glider can make you a significantly better powered pilot.  There are sins that you can get away with in a Cessna that a glider will kick your butt for.

coudano

Actually if you go get your private pilot glider,
the powered aircraft rating can 'add on', the requirements are all listed out in the FAA regs.

Panzerbjorn

What you may have an easier time doing is finding an instructor who is willing to instruct you up to your solo wings in CAP once you turn 16.  It is very difficult to find an instructor in CAP who is able or willing to devote the 40+ hours on ground and flight instruction to get you your PPL.  Going to Powered Flight Academy is the best deal around to get you your solo wings.

From there, you'd probably be urged to continue your instruction from a bonafied flight school.

My suggestion right now at your age is to ask around to any instructors near you if they'd be willing to give you an hour or two of instruction in a CAP airplane.  Those kind of flights you can do right now and you can log them.  Yes, you're going to have to pay for those flights out of your own pocket, but if it's something you truly want to do, you'll find a way to make it happen.  From now until you're 16, if you try to log around 10 hours a year, you'll definitely be way ahead by the time you're eligible to solo.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout