Is the Mess Dress...

Started by The14th, March 25, 2015, 10:14:33 PM

The14th

...the only appropriate uniform for a military ball for Senior Members?

That thing is expensive, and I don't think I'd be wearing it all that often to make it worth buying. Is there any other uniform options for such an event?

capmaj

Formal would be a CAP blazer, slacks and a black bow-tie. Or a business suit if the organizers allow it.

The14th

I will look into that version. The other option is just wearing my Army Class A's with the bowtie and white shirt. But I'd like to wear a CAP uniform to possibly spark some interest and talking points from some other military people in the area who may not know anything about it.

LSThiker

Quote from: The14th on March 25, 2015, 10:14:33 PM

That thing is expensive, and I don't think I'd be wearing it all that often to make it worth buying. Is there any other uniform options for such an event?

I have never worn a Mess Dress Uniform (or dress blues) for the Army or CAP.  The military balls I have been to, I only wore the Class A uniform.   

The14th

Quote from: LSThiker on March 25, 2015, 10:31:48 PM
Quote from: The14th on March 25, 2015, 10:14:33 PM

I have never worn a Mess Dress Uniform (or dress blues) for the Army or CAP.  The military balls I have been to, I only wore the Class A uniform.

Which is why I asked, the Uniform Guide is confusing about appropriate attire.

FW

For a CAP formal banquet or ball, the appropriate attire is usually the Mess Dress, Blazer with Bow Tie (no name tag), or "appropriate civilian attire".  At our next wing conference banquet, I'm wearing a suit. 

sarmed1

I once owned a mess dress (quite a few pounds and years ago)  I was able to obtain it via the base thrift shop for a steal.  Even in the absence of a near by AF base with the readiness of evil bay this is not an cost prohibitive plan.   I still had to outlay some cash for the accompaniments, but I wore it to every appropriate CAP function that I could to justify the money.  It does cut a nice image that you dont see to often in CAP.

No

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

The14th

Is there a source for the blazers?

lordmonar

Quote from: The14th on March 25, 2015, 11:39:10 PM
Any place.

Navy blue....three button IIRC.....check 39-1 for the specifications.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

The14th

Quote from: lordmonar on March 26, 2015, 12:26:16 AM
Any place.

Thanks for the info.

kwe1009

The Air Force style service dress uniform is usually acceptable for formal CAP events as well.  The event should publish a dress code as well that could be helpful. 

Pylon

Quote from: lordmonar on March 26, 2015, 12:26:16 AM
Any place.

Two button.  CAP blazers should be two button jackets per CAPM 39-1.

For what it's worth, I wore a civilian tuxedo to my last CAP formal banquet.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jhighman

Quote from: Pylon on March 27, 2015, 02:19:15 PM

Two button.  CAP blazers should be two button jackets per CAPM 39-1.

The current revision (26 June 2014)  of CAPM 39-1 states that you can choose two or three button, either metal or plastic buttons. See page 56, section 4.2.3.1 for specifics.

Ned

As a NHQ party animal, I wind up wearing my mess dress 4-6 times a year.  Mostly for two reasons:

1.  After 20 years, it still fits well.

2.  It is a babe magnet.  (According to my wife, anyway.)

For me, at least, I've certainly gotten my moneys worth out of the uniform I bought at the local AFB Thrift Shop.  If I had to buy a new one off the rack, I would do some careful calculations of roughly how many times I would actually get to wear it.  I also have a civilian tux in the closet somewhere, but I can't remember the last time I wore it.  There is probably a sad statement in here somewhere that all of my formal events appear to revolve around CAP.

I need to do something about that, but at least recognizing the problem is a good first step.

TexasBEAST

Quote from: Ned on March 27, 2015, 06:27:47 PM
There is probably a sad statement in here somewhere that all of my formal events appear to revolve around CAP.

I need to do something about that, but at least recognizing the problem is a good first step.
Nah, Colonel. If you can finegle CAP into all of your formal events, then I'd just say you're being really creative and clever!
--TB

RiverAux

Quote from: kwe1009 on March 27, 2015, 02:13:16 PM
The Air Force style service dress uniform is usually acceptable for formal CAP events as well.  The event should publish a dress code as well that could be helpful.

I think an event organizer that specified either mess dress or a civilian suit, but excluded the service dress would be nuts.  Its hard enough to justify buying the darn service dress and it sure would look better at a formal military event than a normal civilian suit.

Personally, I think we should dump the mess dress entirely.  Hardly anyone buys them anyway and the service dress is more than formal enough for any CAP event. 

SarDragon

I've been to a number of conferences, both wing and national, and the majority of the male senior members in attendance at the banquet have worn the mess dress. The pictures I've seen of other similar events have shown a preponderance of mess dress wearing participants. If I could wear it, I would, cuz I make it look good. But I ain't shavin' the beard.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

I'm not at all surprised that they would be worn often at national conferences by those that meet the regulations.  Those represent the small minority of people that probably really feel obligated to have that uniform due to their position in CAP. 

I suspect that the reason that the pictures show the mess dress so much is that it looks better.  If a PAO has an opportunity to use either a photo of a bunch of people in mess dress or a bunch of people in service dress, they're going with the mess dress...

At my wing conferences the mess dress is probably worn by 10% or less of senior members. 

Chappie

Quote from: Ned on March 27, 2015, 06:27:47 PM
As a NHQ party animal, I wind up wearing my mess dress 4-6 times a year.  Mostly for two reasons:

1.  After 20 years, it still fits well.

2.  It is a babe magnet.  (According to my wife, anyway.)

For me, at least, I've certainly gotten my moneys worth out of the uniform I bought at the local AFB Thrift Shop.  If I had to buy a new one off the rack, I would do some careful calculations of roughly how many times I would actually get to wear it.  I also have a civilian tux in the closet somewhere, but I can't remember the last time I wore it.  There is probably a sad statement in here somewhere that all of my formal events appear to revolve around CAP.

Not quite the NHQ party animal like Ned, but working on it :)   At the CAWG Wing Conference 2001 I was acting in my official capacity as Wing Chaplain wearing the Formal Blazer Combo (much like I had done at the NSC Banquet when I was a student).   Then Chief of CAP Chaplain Corps - Chaplain Melancon leans over to my wife and advises her that "a Mess Dress would be a great investment for the future".  He was "spot on".  In the following weeks, EBay was very, very good to me -- $60 bucks for an almost new Mess Dress.   Of course all the "bling" and braid needed to be purchased (and the party shirt) ...but a small price to pay for an uniform that I wear 3-4 times a year. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)