Main Menu

Commander's Intent

Started by Holding Pattern, April 28, 2019, 01:46:09 AM

Holding Pattern

How many of you have seen your squadron commander's statement of intent written out?

Are there any wings who have their wing commander's intent publicly view-able? Regions? Is the national commander's intent written out in a statement?

Are we simply to assume that the strategic plan documents fulfill that role at the higher echelons?

etodd

Never thought to ask. We all seem to work as a group to get things done in my Squadron. Are you having issues?

"commander's statement of intent" .... would that be some fluff one would write then they first get the job, before they really get into the meat of it, and then see what they can actually do?

Maybe I'm not getting your question. LOL
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Holding Pattern

Look at the "Commander's Intent" portion of the UCC. I get it is most likely one of those nice ideas that CAP has on paper that no one actually does, but I figured I'd ask.

Fester

Last week, my Wing Commander informed me of his decision to offer me a Squadron Command position and recommended writing and disseminating a Commander's Intent and a Command Philosophy document.  As recommended, I did both.  I found them to be useful activities which made me think of what my goals are and how I want to achieve them. 

So no, they are not just some "good idea" that never gets executed.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Fester on April 28, 2019, 04:35:37 AM
Last week, my Wing Commander informed me of his decision to offer me a Squadron Command position and recommended writing and disseminating a Commander's Intent and a Command Philosophy document.  As recommended, I did both.  I found them to be useful activities which made me think of what my goals are and how I want to achieve them. 

Does your wing commander have these documents as well? Have they been shared with you?

Fester

1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Jester

Quote from: etodd on April 28, 2019, 02:10:14 AM
Never thought to ask. We all seem to work as a group to get things done in my Squadron. Are you having issues?

"commander's statement of intent" .... would that be some fluff one would write then they first get the job, before they really get into the meat of it, and then see what they can actually do?

Maybe I'm not getting your question. LOL

If you don't have a good idea of the commander's philosophy and what he considers "right", it's hard to fulfill.

In my experience lack of commander's intent leads to micromanagement.

Eclipse

Quote from: Holding Pattern on April 28, 2019, 01:46:09 AM
Are we simply to assume that the strategic plan documents fulfill that role at the higher echelons?

Strategic what now?

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Eclipse

As discussed when this was released, this is not a strategic plan, it's a briefing on what a
strategic plan is, and why you want them.

It refers to a different document, which in itself, is arguably not a strategic plan either.

These are akin to mission statements and with timelines that are  unreasonable in
a paradigm where the majority of the resources have involvement shorter then the plan, or
who lose influence in the organization ends before action even starts.

3 years is generally considered the outside of a timeline, and in most cases the variable involved
will change so much that the original idea itself may no longer be viable.

In the case of the link above, it was published in 2015, which means it is probably actually more like
2014 or 13 work product, named individuals have long since moved on, and in the end it was basically
just a suggestion to go  speak to the local wing and get a plan started.

Plans have goals / timelines / resources (and ramifications for not meeting them), those three factors
are interdependent and not option for an actual plan.

"That Others May Zoom"

GroundHawg

When I took over as a Squadron Commander, I did this as well. I wrote mine very similar to a business mission statement as that is my background and schooling. It got everyone on board, and let everyone know the direction we had planned. More importantly to me, it held me accountable for the goals I had set for us. I think everyone should be doing this honestly.

Fester

Quote from: GroundHawg on April 29, 2019, 11:46:58 AM

When I took over as a Squadron Commander, I did this as well. I wrote mine very similar to a business mission statement as that is my background and schooling. It got everyone on board, and let everyone know the direction we had planned. More importantly to me, it held me accountable for the goals I had set for us. I think everyone should be doing this honestly.

Which is probably why they teach it in UCC.  :D
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Xylathialus

Our Squadron Commander publishes a written Commander's Intent.