You've got to be kidding me.

Started by capmaj, May 11, 2014, 12:07:04 PM

RiverAux

Now, I'm on board with there being several uniform violations here, but lets not go overboard in putting thoughts into the head of the general public.  No one in the general public is going to know what uniform items they are wearing are authorized or not.  A fair number of CAP members probably wouldn't know either if you quized them on it. 

Yes, the public may have thought they looked silly, and I also think that they do, but they're more likely to assume that they were in an authorized uniform. 

It would be nice if we had some standard field gear to go with the BDU.  Plenty of military and non-military options.  Probably unrealistic as we can't even get the polo shirt crowd to wear the same gray pants. 

capmaj

" Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution."
Ansel Adams

Panzerbjorn

I personally carry a shemagh with me, at least in my 24-hour kit.  It's a very useful piece of kit.  Whether you're using it as a scarf for warmth, or a towel, or a sling, it has uses beyond just looking tacticool.  If people have heartaches over the color...fine....these are out there:

There's also another thread here regarding the upcoming orange MOLLE vests.  Somehow, I don't think people will have any issue if the tactical gear was orange and ANSI 2 rated.

Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Panache

lordmonar

Quote from: Panache on May 13, 2014, 04:31:31 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on May 12, 2014, 07:12:05 PM
Is this horse dead yet?

Not until the SAR team confirms it.
We are not supposed to do that.....call mission base ask for the sheriff and the coroner, seal of the area and wait for the cavalry to arrive.
:)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Panache

Quote from: lordmonar on May 13, 2014, 04:58:31 AM
Quote from: Panache on May 13, 2014, 04:31:31 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on May 12, 2014, 07:12:05 PM
Is this horse dead yet?

Not until the SAR team confirms it.
We are not supposed to do that.....call mission base ask for the sheriff and the coroner, seal of the area and wait for the cavalry to arrive.
:)

(waiting)  (waiting some more)

"Hey, where's the cavalry?"

"Dead horse. Remember?"

Devil Doc

Quote from: Dr.T on May 12, 2014, 07:24:36 PM
Quote from: TexasCadet on May 11, 2014, 03:10:54 PM
There is at least one picture of a cadet with a tactical vest and magazines pouches. Magazine pouches?! Didn't we just have two threads discussing the issue of ground teams carrying weapons? What useful purpose do magazine pouches serve besides holding magazines? This does not help our public image.

In fact, the single M-16 magazine pouch is exactly the right size for an EFJ5100 radio. The flash-bang pouch is exactly the right size for the (now prohibited) Wouxun radio.
DrT

It is also the perfect size for:

Gloves
Vest
Water Bottles
Compass
Space Blanket
Random Items

I use my Magazine Pouches for water bottles, I hate canteens, and only use it as a backup, or for MRE's.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Devil Doc

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 12, 2014, 06:49:10 PM

This photo speaks to me a lot louder than just improper gear selection.  In my current air unit, when I got here we had a lot of completely useless volunteer types running around who were actually involved with the air unit.  Not something I was used to, although... I did have plenty of experience with volunteers via CAP.  What is the FIRST thing I did?  Here are some ideas....

#1. If you aren't invited, you don't show up. To many people were just hanging out with nothing to offer.
#2.  If you are invited and you chose to show up, you WILL wear the designated flight suit uniform only.  Which means you WILL NOT add your own patches, you WILL NOT bring gear that I have not personally approved and put it anywhere near my aircraft or on your body.
#3. You WILL direct any media questions or official contacts to a full time paid member of the unit or other designated volunteer. 
#4.  If we, as an organization, ever have to make an excuse or apologize for your actions, or decide you are a liability, refer to rule #1. 

If you don't have the maturity to wear appropriate gear and not look like an Airsoft team leader, then perhaps its not time for you to respond to a scene with dead bodies.  Not for a second would looking this ridiculous ever cross my mind when presented with showing up to a real mission.   Is it the end of the world?  Of course not.  Does it make CAP look silly to other professional organizations?  Yes it does.  But this is the photo that made it into the media.  As someone who is paid to do SAR as a mission full time, I rolled my eyes and shook my head.  My first thought wasn't "well at least they got called."  or "Good to see cadets out helping."    My first thought was "Can someone call their mother to come pick them up please?"   These cadets look silly and nobody there told them.

Interesting that the other cadet isn't decked out like a commando though isn't it?  So this is something these two decided to do on their own.  The argument for cadets working in ES is that they are learning.  Well guess what doesn't fly in professional SAR?   Any guesses?  How about making your own rules?  When you look at this in an organizational discipline aspect, these cadets were comfortable enough to bend the standards to the point that allowed them to end up like this.  If an adult showed up to a SAR operation as a volunteer dressed like that, any organization worth their weight would thank them and send them on their way.  Kids get some leeway because they are kids.  So if thats how we are going to treat them, like kids, and give them a pass because they are kids, then they have no business responding to life altering missions, with deceased victims, dressing like kids playing a game.   

So what needs to happen?  These cadets don't need disciplined, nobody needs written up or 2b'd.  What needs to happen is someone from that Group or even Wing needs to get on the horn and insure its handled and that we don't have cadets and/or seniors representing CAP like a bunch of kids out playing in their back yard.   Ive worked in CAP and with SAR volunteers who brought amazing skill and training to the table and Ive worked with volunteers who were compete idiots who were volunteering because they couldn't hold a job. 

Give cadets a purpose, let them learn and experience,  but don't let them make fools out of themselves in the process.

You have good points, very good indeed, but....

What is Considered "Professional SAR"? Who makes the Rules on what to wear? There are different Levels of SAR? What I am getting to is, there is alot of OPINIONS on what a SAR member should wear professional or not. You may work as a Professional SAR team, and your team may wear what they wear. Ive seen Numerous SAR teams and they all were different things. Ive seen some wear BDUs, some wear Tac Pants and a Shirt, ive seen some wear SWAT gear, etc. I dont give to Donkeys what a SAR team wears, heck i dont care if they look like SEAL TEAM SIX, as long as they finish the mission and find said target.

Yes, the "CADETS" might have been a lil Tac Ti Kewl, but then again some people say that I am the same way.It is all based on perception. I bet you if they were all "Senior" members dressed like that, no one would care. There is many uniform violations in CAP, I see them everyday, I am one of them, (I dont wear any "Badges" on my BDU's). It just grinds my gears when people say that we are not a "REAL" Search and Rescue team, when we have numerous times proven ourselves and found targets that local LEO and Local "Teams" couldnt find. We train just like a SAR team does, maybe not a frequent, but we still train.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Luis R. Ramos

For a very looooong time I used mag pouches and butt pack for my first aid and some other 24-hour pack items. Now I just have consolidated everything on an ALICE med pack. I would not begrudge anyone using those items. They are, after all, much, much, much cheaper than similar civilian items. A shelagh? It is just a bigger bandana! It can also be used for holding hot items, if you decide to boil water in the field for your meal or coffee and have to hold a hot pan or canteen cup. I begrudge the use of the color, I carry a red bandana for its possible use as a marker! But a tiny, teeny begrudge. Not even a 1%...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Devil Doc on May 13, 2014, 12:37:45 PMThere is many uniform violations in CAP, I see them everyday, I am one of them, (I dont wear any "Badges" on my BDU's).

There is no requirement to wear any badges on the field uniforms, nor which ones to wear if you qualify for more then one.

For the record, i have my CAP mobile radio in the glove box (with the actual "box" removed) and gloves under the back seat of the truck.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

We don't need no stinkin' badges! ....

... can't see 'em anyway, because of all the pouches attached.

arajca

Badges not worn - not required, no problem.
Mag puches used to carry stuff - no problem.
Boonie hats - Problem. This has been addressed by the AF and the answer is no. Period. End of discussion.
Not combat boots - little issue, but not really worth mentioning.
Shemagh worn as in picture - problem.
Shemagh carried in pack/pocket - no problem.
Seniors not being called out for the same things - YES. If you search many past threads, senior are routinely excoriated here for similar violations. And many of us have addressed the issue in person as well.

Whether CAP is a 'real' SAR Team or not is a local or wing issue. Some areas have great responses and records while others are never called out.

As for wearing civilian outerwear with the bdu, the AF has come out and said no, only AF style outerwear is to be worn with AF style uniforms. Do we follow this to the letter? Honestly, no. Another argument for a CAP SAR uniform, not based on the bdu.

corrected FFS issues

Private Investigator

Quote from: EMT-83 on May 13, 2014, 02:53:54 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on May 13, 2014, 02:00:24 AM
I have several pairs of gloves in my car. There's a pair to keep my hands warm while I'm driving, a pair of work gloves for work stuff, and some blue nitriles for ooky stuff.

But are they in the glove box?

No, I keep them in my nightstand   8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on May 13, 2014, 04:17:06 AM
I personally carry a shemagh with me, at least in my 24-hour kit.  It's a very useful piece of kit.  Whether you're using it as a scarf for warmth, or a towel, or a sling, it has uses beyond just looking tacticool.  If people have heartaches over the color...fine....these are out there:

I do too. Actually I like your color. I got a white one so I look like a broke goatherder and my wife has the red one and with designer sunglasses is going for the Princess persona.  كوفية   8)

NIN

Quote from: arajca on May 13, 2014, 04:16:26 PM
Shelagh worn as in picture - problem.
Shelagh carried in pack/pocket - no problem.

[Crocodile Dundee voice]
"I dunno how you put a Shelagh in your back pocket, mate."
[/Crocodile Dundee voice]

I think you meant shemagh (aka "middle eastern cravat")...

a Shelagh is something different. :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Devil Doc

Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Flying Pig

Quote from: Devil Doc on May 13, 2014, 12:37:45 PM

It just grinds my gears when people say that we are not a "REAL" Search and Rescue team, when we have numerous times proven ourselves and found targets that local LEO and Local "Teams" couldnt find. We train just like a SAR team does, maybe not a frequent, but we still train.

Finding things most often as to do with assignments, not abilities.  As far as CAP training like a SAR team?  OK... Ill just say your experiences have obviously been much different than mine.

Devil Doc

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 13, 2014, 05:22:42 PM

It just grinds my gears when people say that we are not a "REAL" Search and Rescue team, when we have numerous times proven ourselves and found targets that local LEO and Local "Teams" couldnt find. We train just like a SAR team does, maybe not a frequent, but we still train.

Finding things most often as to do with assignments, not abilities.  As far as CAP training like a SAR team?  OK... Ill just say your experiences have obviously been much different than mine.

Fair Enough, that still does negate the fact that CAP has been Successfull at SAR. We may not do Static lines or do High Angle Rescues, but we get the job done. My Units SAR team has a Retired Lt from the Rescue Squad (Leader), ME (Combat Medic) even though I cant use it, but it is still experience with some extra schooling. . A retired Air Force Pilot, who knows wilderness survival, Numerous Cadets who have attened NESA and Hawk Mountain and NASAR qualfied. We have units around us that have a few Ranger 1st Class, Ranger Medics (Im working on Mine) and Advanced/Expert Rangers. Sometime our Group Commander joins us, he has EMT/FF/Rescue Squad experience. So yes, we may not have the "Training" a know SAR has, but our experience is not lacking.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Devil Doc on May 13, 2014, 05:34:33 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on May 13, 2014, 05:22:42 PM

Fair Enough, that still does negate the fact that CAP has been Successfull at SAR. We may not do Static lines or do High Angle Rescues, but we get the job done. My Units SAR team has a Retired Lt from the Rescue Squad (Leader), ME (Combat Medic) even though I cant use it, but it is still experience with some extra schooling. . A retired Air Force Pilot, who knows wilderness survival, Numerous Cadets who have attened NESA and Hawk Mountain and NASAR qualfied. We have units around us that have a few Ranger 1st Class, Ranger Medics (Im working on Mine) and Advanced/Expert Rangers. Sometime our Group Commander joins us, he has EMT/FF/Rescue Squad experience. So yes, we may not have the "Training" a know SAR has, but our experience is not lacking.

Here's the thing. We're both in CAP. I know what "rangers" are. It still doesn't tell me squat about what they can or can't do. No such beast in CAP, and to outsiders....they probably think USA Rangers, and get 40 pounds overweight for BDUs rangers. (*I know not all rangers are overweight, but I've seen quite a few, as is typical of CAP members).

lordmonar

Quote from: NIN on May 13, 2014, 04:58:57 PM
Quote from: arajca on May 13, 2014, 04:16:26 PM
Shelagh worn as in picture - problem.
Shelagh carried in pack/pocket - no problem.

[Crocodile Dundee voice]
"I dunno how you put a Shelagh in your back pocket, mate."
[/Crocodile Dundee voice]

I think you meant shemagh (aka "middle eastern cravat")...

a Shelagh is something different. :)
If you were herd-kruw like me....you'd know how to get a shelagh in your back pocket.....just saying.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP