You've got to be kidding me.

Started by capmaj, May 11, 2014, 12:07:04 PM

Tim Day

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 12, 2014, 06:49:10 PM
So what needs to happen?  These cadets don't need disciplined, nobody needs written up or 2b'd.  What needs to happen is someone from that Group or even Wing needs to get on the horn and insure its handled and that we don't have cadets and/or seniors representing CAP like a bunch of kids out playing in their back yard.   Ive worked in CAP and with SAR volunteers who brought amazing skill and training to the table and Ive worked with volunteers who were compete idiots who were volunteering because they couldn't hold a job. 

Give cadets a purpose, let them learn and experience,  but don't let them make fools out of themselves in the process.

I agree.

That is actually being done, out of view of CAPTALK and other public fora, and not just for these cadets but for everyone involved. The non-CAP organizations are doing the same thing, as I'm sure you would be aware. I get to see both processes at work, to some extent, due to connections with the non-CAP volunteer SAR organizations - so I second your observation that the same problems exist outside of CAP.

In addition to the lessons learned and follow-on public affairs awareness training, I think we need to have an informed and rational discussion regarding what types of PPE should be worn even if not in the current CAPM 39-1. These additional items of PPE range from less to more controversial.

In my view, less controversial items would be gaiters. Wearing them is normal practice among SAR groups here in Virginia.

More controversial might be hiking boots other than black combat boots. These tend to be much less readily available than civilian hiking boots, which means our members pay more and are less likely to get a good fit.

Non-starters would likely include BDU boonie hats, per the stated Air Force decision.

I agree that PPE lists should not be an excuse for dressing however we want. PPE lists need to take into account regional differences and should be based on what is required / normal for local SAR groups if possible.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

JeffDG

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 12, 2014, 07:00:03 PM
But unlike CAP.... ultimately those magazine pouches are for magazines loaded with real bullets.
When was the last time you had gloves in your glove-box in the car?

Flying Pig

I don't have a glove box.  Its a gun case :)   As far as my patrol car.......  It was stuffed with latex gloves :)

Dr.T

Quote from: TexasCadet on May 11, 2014, 03:10:54 PM
There is at least one picture of a cadet with a tactical vest and magazines pouches. Magazine pouches?! Didn't we just have two threads discussing the issue of ground teams carrying weapons? What useful purpose do magazine pouches serve besides holding magazines? This does not help our public image.

In fact, the single M-16 magazine pouch is exactly the right size for an EFJ5100 radio. The flash-bang pouch is exactly the right size for the (now prohibited) Wouxun radio.
DrT

Private Investigator

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 12, 2014, 07:19:47 PM
I don't have a glove box.  Its a gun case :)   As far as my patrol car.......  It was stuffed with latex gloves :)

True that, now that is funny cool   8)

Eclipse

Quote from: Tim Day on May 12, 2014, 07:15:32 PM
More controversial might be hiking boots other than black combat boots. These tend to be much less readily available than civilian hiking boots, which means our members pay more and are less likely to get a good fit.

I agree with pretty much everything, other then your obsession with gaiters, which might
be based on the "Day Gaiter Consortium" I saw on Google, but I would consider them
"equipment" and say that if needed they could certainly be worn >WHEN< needed,
meaning before you wander into the woods, not in the car on the way, at the Denny's,
nor at meetings, etc.

Now as to black boots being "less available" then hiking boots, that's just not true, unless there aren't Walmarts in Virginia.   I was there this weekend looking at very nice black side-zip, combat-height, tactical boots.

Maybe Corcoran jump boots aren't readily available, but what members should be wearing certainly are.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 12, 2014, 07:12:05 PM
Is this horse dead yet?
What and pass up the opportunity of beating up a pair of kids for trying to be cool?   No way!  We are good for 3-4 more pages at least.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: lordmonar on May 12, 2014, 08:00:09 PM
Is this horse dead yet?
What and pass up the opportunity of beating up a pair of kids for trying to be cool?   No way!  We are good for 3-4 more pages at least.

Exactly and have we even started with the Senior Member / GTL / chaperone yet?  :clap:

Garibaldi

"Name 5 things wrong with this picture"

*bzzt*

1. Hats
2. No safety vests
3. No mixed senior chaperones.
4. No GTL in sight
5. Ummm....
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

Quote from: Private Investigator on May 12, 2014, 08:12:19 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 12, 2014, 08:00:09 PM
Is this horse dead yet?

Exactly and have we even started with the Senior Member / GTL / chaperone yet?  :clap:
Why stop there.

This sort of thing happens at all levels of the organization.

National Commanders who remained in blues a little too long.
Regional commanders withe subdued rank on their flight suits.
Wing Commanders violating these rules.
Wings simply doing what ever they want (a la CAWG's ES uniforms and all that ranger bling in PAWG).

I know that we try to make ES fun on the GT side of things....and if rangering up gets them out into the field....well I don't mind to much.
Boonies.....well you know....we have only been fighting that one for since 1941.   This ain't the first time CAP members have gone to the field in boonies and it ain't going to be last.

And it will continue to happen.....until we start firing some leaders.

/rant

lordmonar

Quote from: Garibaldi on May 12, 2014, 08:29:11 PM

*bzzt*

1. Hats
2. No safety vests
4. No GTL in sight
5. Ummm....
3.  If they are not going to be over night they don't have to be mixed.
4.  No GTL in "Frame"...He might just be off camera....in one photo I think you can see him way in the background with the van....Also....it is possible that one of those older cadets might just be the GTL......It's been know to happen.

Garibaldi

Quote from: lordmonar on May 12, 2014, 08:37:26 PM

*bzzt*

1. Hats
2. No safety vests
4. No GTL in sight
5. Ummm....
4.  No GTL in "Frame"...He might just be off camera....in one photo I think you can see him way in the background with the van....Also....it is possible that one of those older cadets might just be the GTL......It's been know to happen.

I was joking around, based on Eclipse's post about GTL and chaperone. Killing the dead horse softly...

lordmonar

Quote from: Garibaldi on May 12, 2014, 08:40:49 PM

*bzzt*

1. Hats
2. No safety vests
4. No GTL in sight
5. Ummm....

I was joking around, based on Eclipse's post about GTL and chaperone. Killing the dead horse softly...
There you go....using irony and stuff......you got to the [ironic][/ironic] tags or I'll be lost.  :)

Garibaldi

Quote from: lordmonar on May 12, 2014, 08:44:15 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on May 12, 2014, 08:40:49 PM

*bzzt*

1. Hats
2. No safety vests
4. No GTL in sight
5. Ummm....

There you go....using irony and stuff......you got to the [ironic][/ironic] tags or I'll be lost.  :)

We'll just send that hard-kore  tak-ti-kewl team after you.

Tim Day

Quote from: Eclipse on May 12, 2014, 07:58:32 PM
I agree with pretty much everything, other then your obsession with gaiters, which might
be based on the "Day Gaiter Consortium" I saw on Google, but I would consider them
"equipment" and say that if needed they could certainly be worn >WHEN< needed,
meaning before you wander into the woods, not in the car on the way, at the Denny's,
nor at meetings, etc.

I actually googled Day Gaiter Consortium and was disappointed to come up empty, unlike your normal search redirects.  ;)

Ok, I'll admit I may have over-used gaiters as an example of PPE.

Quote from: Eclipse on May 12, 2014, 07:58:32 PM
Now as to black boots being "less available" then hiking boots, that's just not true, unless there aren't Walmarts in Virginia.   I was there this weekend looking at very nice black side-zip, combat-height, tactical boots.

We've got Walmarts and we've worn Walmart black boots. They're not suitable for SAR in the terrain in which we work, but I certainly recommend them to my cadets for everything but emergency services use.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Eclipse

I seriously considered gin-ing a quick web page but billable issues took my time.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: JeffDG on May 12, 2014, 07:18:21 PM
But unlike CAP.... ultimately those magazine pouches are for magazines loaded with real bullets.

Right now. Which ones do you want? The Nomex flight gloves or the exam gloves?

JeffDG

Quote from: PHall on May 13, 2014, 12:28:55 AM
Quote from: JeffDG on May 12, 2014, 07:18:21 PM

Right now. Which ones do you want? The Nomex flight gloves or the exam gloves?
Man, tough crowd!

Heck, even when I lived up in the GWN, I didn't keep gloves in the glove box...generally kept them on my hands!

SarDragon

I have several pairs of gloves in my car. There's a pair to keep my hands warm while I'm driving, a pair of work gloves for work stuff, and some blue nitriles for ooky stuff.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

EMT-83

Quote from: SarDragon on May 13, 2014, 02:00:24 AM
I have several pairs of gloves in my car. There's a pair to keep my hands warm while I'm driving, a pair of work gloves for work stuff, and some blue nitriles for ooky stuff.

But are they in the glove box?