Radar Analysis Team Uses New Tool to Lead Searchers to Downed Seaplane

Started by etodd, August 20, 2019, 02:30:06 AM

etodd

QuoteCIvil Air Patrol's National Radar Analysis Team used a brand-new tool to quickly guide searchers to a crashed seaplane near New Orleans in bad weather, resulting in the rescue of two people – two of four saves credited Sunday to CAP.

https://www.cap.news/radar-analysis-team-uses-new-tool-to-lead-searchers-to-downed-seaplane/?fbclid=IwAR0GMgxBMeCNjig95Wl2dTeffI41CQycs2XQSM10g6Rale8lV5PaSHSJUco

Talk about a group of autonomous people.  CAP's National Cell Phone Forensics Team is the majority of saves now. And the funny thing is, they could be split off from CAP and just take all the credit themselves. Leaving the rest of us CAP with just a handful of saves each year.

When it comes to SAR, it seems Main CAP now rides on the coat tails of this autonomous handful of people.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on August 20, 2019, 02:30:06 AMCAP's National Cell Phone Forensics Team is the majority of saves now.

They account for the "majority of saves" in the same way way the 800-squadrons are the "largest in the nation".
Technically correct, looks good on a t-shirt, makes for great conversation with the legislature, and functionally
meaningless to the general membership and the normal operations of CAP.

A life saved is a life saved, its the way it's characterized that's always given me a little side-eye.

(Not to say that I would not want to be involved given the opportunity.)

"That Others May Zoom"

JacobAnn

UWONGO2

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2019, 03:23:46 AM(Not to say that I would not want to be involved given the opportunity.)

Why is that? I ask without any snark or sarcasm, you're by no means the only person I've heard say that. I'm curious about what is driving the interest.

etodd

There are several, but from what I've seen written about it, one could do a mission. So IOW, there are already several backups.  Someone can correct me, but it seems one with the right software on his laptop and the right connections, could make a Save while sitting on the beach, or while sitting next to a fireplace in a snow covered cabin in the mountains.  This is NOT a "typical" CAP mission where a Mission Base is fully staffed with folks running around.  AFRCC calls the guy at 2 am, he rolls over, grabs his laptop and makes the save while sitting in this bed , in his pajamas, while trying not to wake his wife.  LOLOL

Autonomous.  No Squadron or Wing needed. No typical chain of Command.  Just get the call and make the Save.  Beauty in its simplicity.  :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."