Main Menu

Former Members?

Started by DBlair, March 18, 2011, 06:39:17 AM

DBlair

I've noticed quite a few CAPTalkers who are now former CAP members.

Without needing to go into detail, I'm curious as to what ultimately led you to quit CAP.

DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Trung Si Ma

Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

BillB

If you go through the various membership threads on CAPTalk you'll find several answers why people have quit CAP. Several say because of the lack of direction of the organization. A few dedicated members have been terminated by the politics that exists in CAP.  One or two say they quit because of the confusing regulations. There doesn't seem to be a single reason for members dropping from CAP.
Even active members are disgruntled by problems that exist in the leadership and in-fighting that exists. But no matter the reason that causes an individual to drop out of the program, these former members are lost to CAP and in some cases causes a black eye for the program.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Chaplaindon

It was the actions of the misguided current National Commander who, for personal reasons beyond the scope of this post, punatively destroyed the CISM program that Lt Col Sherry Jones, many others, (and I) worked tirelessly to establish and develop.

The current National Commander unilaterally moved the program to a deliberate "purgatory" in Health Services in early 2008 which effectively destroyed the program.

I retired as a result after 23 years.

Once the current CAP/CC is replaced, I MIGHT consider returning ...
Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

NIN

I just ran out of airspeed, altitude and ideas.. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

peter rabbit

if you are no longer a member, what leads you to continue to post in CAPTalk?

Reno

I moved from Arkansas to Florida for a summer to work at Busch Gardens and volunteer with various social programs. During that time my membership expired. When I came back home I started college and rushed a fraternity (Any Pikes here?)
and became involved in various other student organizations. I've just now had the time to renew my membership (As a senior member). I'm waiting for it to shift through CAPNHQ.

Hopefully in a week this topic will no longer be relevant to me as I'll be back in  ;D
Andrew Reno, FO, CAP
Professional Development Officer
120th Composite Squadron, ARWG

EMT-83

Quote from: peter rabbit on March 18, 2011, 03:06:38 PM

Even though someone like NIN is not a current member, he has years of experience and holds a wealth of knowledge. If he's willing to share that experience, I'm willing to listen.

DakRadz

Quote from: EMT-83 on March 18, 2011, 03:25:17 PM

Even though someone like NIN is not a current member, he has years of experience and holds a wealth of knowledge. If he's willing to share that experience, I'm willing to listen.
I've gotten uniforms, stories, and good advice from NIN so far, and I'm new! Agreed in full, EMT.

peter rabbit

Hey - I'm listening too. It sounds like several former members still have a piece of themselves invested in the organization. I'm hoping they'll find something that draws them back to "active duty". We need all of the good, quality, caring, participating members we can lasso, hoodwink, whatever.

LtDan123

Saw this today in News of the Force: may be a reason for some....

Report: Three Civil Air Patrol officers relieved for following a regulation

[redacted full text for copyright compliance reasons --admin]

Flying Pig

"It is refreshing to see someone in the CAP refuse to sink to the level of petty arguments," the source said.

Let me translate that....

Wheeew, Im glad this guy just went away instead of calling us on the fact that we dont want to enforce height and weight standards.....

I think its because their reasons for wanting to stay active in CAP have changed, but they still enjoy the conversation and discussions.  They arent members anymore, but are still interested in whats going on.  A lot of these former members have 20+ yrs in CAP.  Just like people who retire from the military are still interested in whats going on.  Heck, I only did 8 years in the military and I am still very much interested in what the military is up to.

tsrup

Just furthers the idea that our regulations have no teeth, when we can't even enforce them without getting canned.

Of course like most things, I doubt that the article contains the whole story...
Paramedic
hang-around.

Major Carrales

After 13 years of service in the Civil Air Patrol I find that I have integrated it into my lifestyle to a level that I have more than emotionally invested in it.  If I had to leave it, most likely due to those "life" issues related to finances or for a reason where I simply did not have time...I might move into PATRON STATUS, but remain keenly interested in the latest goings on in anticipation of the day when I could return to active status.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

PA Guy

Quote from: LtDan123 on March 18, 2011, 05:27:01 PM
Saw this today in News of the Force: may be a reason for some....

Report: Three Civil Air Patrol officers relieved for following a regulation

I read the article.  I'm guessing there is a whole lot more to the story than what NOTF reports or knows.  It is long on opinion and short on facts.

CAP Producer

Quote from: DBlair on March 18, 2011, 06:39:17 AM
I've noticed quite a few CAPTalkers who are now former CAP members.

Some may not have quit on their own ,they may have had their memberships terminated for cause.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

RiverAux

Quote from: LtDan123 on March 18, 2011, 05:27:01 PM

I don't think NoTF would have the gall to try to enforce a copyright given that they violate copyrights about 15-25 times a day. 

nesagsar

My wing had some problem officers that caused me to leave. Now that I have moved to another state I might get back in.

Smoothice

Hmm..

I heard 'round the squadron that a few senior members are about to be "Bumped down to Patron Status". I guess they haven't been around.

Eclipse

Something I regularly ask myself as well.  While their are many, like NIN, who basically completed the program and moved on to new / different challenges,
but are still involved in related or similar programs and have valid opinions to offer, there are far too many who view CT as just a place to
air or (more often) rehash the "injustices" imposed upon them WIWAC or WIWAS (injustices generally done by people no longer involved in any positions of authority, if even the program) as if they were remotely relevant today.

In my experience, the #1 reason members quit is incorrect expectations set from day one, which result in the member not understanding CAP at a fundamental level and fighting up stream their whole time.

As one example, a member is recruited at an airshow in front of three airplanes and a HMMV, and told they can "fly for free", only to find out later that
the unit doesn't have a plane assigned (or even an active flight program, the HMMV was on loan from a local dealer, and it takes 6-months to 1 year
of fairly active membership before a member can "fly for free cheap".

"That Others May Zoom"