TXWG Conference - Cadet Planning

Started by addo1, March 02, 2010, 05:14:28 AM

addo1

Good evening,

As the Vice Chairman (and soon to be acting Chairman) of the Texas Wing Cadet Advisory Council, my council has been tasked with putting together the cadet portion of the Texas Wing Spring Conference 2010. In the past, there have been absoloutely no activities for cadets whatsoever. At this point, we have a basic schedule, but could use some ideas. Two major things that I would like ideas on:

1) Cadet Course - After a TXWG CAC meeting, we are planning to have some classes/activities. What might work here that would work for all levels of cadet experience?

2) After-banquet Cadet Dance - This has "happened" in the past, but with no organization. Does anyone have any tips on making this work? What about things to incorporate?

This was most likely too vague for most people, but that is the point. I would like to see what ideas and suggestions that you might like to see implemented if you were/are a cadet. Thanks ahead of time!
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

DC

Here's a link to the page on FLWG's upcoming (this weekend, in fact) Cadet Conference. There is some basic information there on classes, and the ever-popular Wing Academic Bowl.

http://www.flcadet.com/CadetConference.aspx

Basically, in the morning the cadets and SMs meet together, and there is a big presentation on what the wing has done in the last year, and will be doing soon. Boring speeches from the Wing CC and up glorifying the wing. Then everyone separates and go to individual break-out sessions. Last time I paid attention, there were at least two classes at a time that the cadets could choose to attend that were tailored directly to the cadet program. I distinctly remember a model rocketry class, NCSA related class, one on teamwork, public speaking, they had an Air Force Academy admissions officer give a talk, stuff like that. Plus a CAC meeting, and a round-table with the CAC Chair and the Wing DCP, and, of course, the Academic Bowl.

There is a done of stuff you can do, and absolutely no reason a single cadet should be bored all weekend (save for that opening session!). Think outside the box and you can come up with some really neat activities. Good luck!