In school or after school squadron?

Started by Dad2-4, November 28, 2015, 10:49:54 PM

Dad2-4

I know that CAP now discourages new full-time in-school units and encourages after-school programs. I've been tossing around the idea of a new unit at my school since the beginning of the year, but have not yet made a proposal to the principal and school board. I do have about 30 kids from grades 6-12 on an interest list so far, excluding sophomores and juniors only because I haven't had a chance to talk to any of them.
Our situation is that we a re a very small school district and losing students every year. One reason I've considered a unit is to attract students. JROTC is not common, with the nearest JROTC being one hour away to the east, and much more than that in other directions. The nearest CAP unit is one hour away as well. All the small districts around here offer different incentives to attract kids. Many kids in our small town do not attend here.
Having said all of that, does anyone here have experience working with a school-based unit, either during or after school? I understand the need for a group of committed adults to help run things, and the need for some fund raising to help with uniforms and equipment.
All constructive comments welcome, especially for those with experience. Thanks.

sarmed1

I'd say selling point for after school activity.  If and when it proves successful, you could lobby for an in school progam.  Being able to show the level of participation, positive results, any high profile activities or success stories would be make an easier sell for a full time course.  After school also would lead toward being able to do other activites easier, ie trips ES training, SAREX's etc etc.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

SARDOC

JROTC Classes have been evaluated to be high school elective credits courses.

Does any know if the CAP cadet program has ever been evaluated like that?

Dad2-4

Pretty sure it has been. In Texas there is a Squadron that operates like a regular during-school class in a middle school, and adds high schoolers during non school hours.
CAP has a fully outlined curriculum.
www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/cadets_at_school/

EMT-83

Quote from: SARDOC on December 01, 2015, 02:33:49 AM

NER-CT-801, New Fairfield High School. School based squadron with elective credit.

rmcmanus

In 1995, while assigned to the National Capital Wing, I established an in-school squadron at a Christian academy.  As you may already know, NAT-CAP Wing hosts units in the District of Columbia, Northern Virginia and southern Maryland.  The Christian academy is located in Maryland, where each of the many high schools host a Junior ROTC unit.  To attract students, the institution allowed me to establish a squadron while serving as a teacher of students in grades 7-12.  School support is critical and I benefited because the administration added Aerospace Education to the curriculum and designated the second period of each day for the course. Every 7th and 8th grader was required to take the course and it was an elective for those in grades 9-12.  Like JROTC, a three-hour "leadership lab" period was established as an after school activity one day each week to allow for drill & ceremonies and physical fitness activities. Because the cadets received course credit and grades that appeared on their report cards, the promotion rates were phenomenal.  Every 56 days nearly 99% passed the written tests, which served to inspire them all. 

About a year earlier, an outstanding Army National Guard Officer and longtime CAP member - LTC Jerry Lévesque  (hope that I've correctly spelled the name) -  established an in-school squadron in the Houston Public School System.  The NAT-CAP Liaison NCO and AE personnel at NHQ made it possible for us to meet and Levesque was kind enough to travel from Houston to my school in Maryland to provide guidance.  The program was well received by all and, following visits to my squadron activities, the local public school district eventually established an in-school program that hosted several flights of the original unit at middle schools throughout the system.  I have moved to another state since then but suspect that you may be able to acquire information from the Prince George's County (Maryland) Public School District.  The program was managed by the JROTC Department therefore I recommend that you begin there.

Good luck!

Old School Teacher   

JeffDG

Quote from: SARDOC on December 01, 2015, 02:33:49 AM

Working with a school here in TN to develop a full program based on CAP Aerospace Education for full credit for the students right now.  Well, at least my AE folks are.

Dad2-4

I lived for many years in the Houston area (my hometown is near there), and knew LtCol Levesque, and served on Winter Encampment staff with him. I even interviewed with him for a full-time position at his school, but was unable to pursue it for family matters.
Thanks for the information so far.