Main Menu

Rank when rejoining

Started by Flying Pig, October 23, 2015, 10:39:09 AM

Toad1168

This one annoyed me.  I was a major when I left, but returned as a Captain because I had not completed Level 4.  In eServices it even shows the promotion to Major. Then the promotion to Captain again.  The only thing I was missing was RSC. 
Toad

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Toad1168 on November 30, 2015, 09:49:40 PM
This one annoyed me.  I was a major when I left, but returned as a Captain because I had not completed Level 4.  In eServices it even shows the promotion to Major. Then the promotion to Captain again.  The only thing I was missing was RSC.

Is that pending the completion of Level 4 regardless of Time in Grade, or are you stuck at the starting end of O-3 and have to work your way back up?

lordmonar

It would be stuck at the beggining with a date of rank the same as his join date
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Toad1168

The funny thing about it is now I've been a Captain since 1994 when I transitioned to senior.
Toad

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Toad1168 on November 30, 2015, 09:49:40 PM

Quote from: CAPR 35-5, Para. 3-7
A former member may be reinstated to the same grade held prior to voluntary membership termination, provided he or she qualifies for that grade under current criteria (including applicable professional development criteria). A recommendation for such reinstatement is neither automatic nor mandatory. If approved, the appointment will not be retroactive and the date of grade will be the date validated by National Headquarters upon reinstatement.

Toad1168

I'm clear on the current reg, just stating that it annoys me.
Toad

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Toad1168 on December 01, 2015, 06:39:17 PM

A better solution may be to grant a temporary grade with the condition that the member meet all requirements by a certain date or revert to the previous grade.

Toad1168

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 01, 2015, 06:46:12 PM

A better solution may be to grant a temporary grade with the condition that the member meet all requirements by a certain date or revert to the previous grade.

That does make sense.  I agree with tightening up the requirements so that promotions are not given out at the drop of a hat or by the good ol boy method, however there should be a way to rejoin and not lose a grade.  A grandfather clause with an expiration date.
Toad

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 01, 2015, 06:46:12 PM

I agree with that.

I'm all about arguing the fairness vs. deserving of a grade, but I think in a case where someone formerly held a grade, they be reinstated to that grade on the basis that they complete all of the new requirements within a timely fashion in addition to forfeiture of eligibility for a promotion to a higher grade if they do not meet those requirements.

Capt Thompson

I see nothing wrong with temporary grade, as long as the member both agrees to come in at a lower grade until they are reacclimatized to the program, and then upon being given temporary grade, they agree to complete all new requirements.

In other words, someone who was a field grade officer in the 80's, and has been gone for 25 years, shouldn't walk in as a Major on day 1. They should wait a few months until the Squadron/Wing Commander feel they can take the responsibility on once again. I was gone for 13 years, and a lot changed in that time. I was fluent with ES and CP when I left, but wouldn't have been ready to take on CDC my first day back, as so much had changed in the period I was gone.

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Alaric

It is what it is, since rank does not indicate responsibility within CAP and only indicates progress within the PD system I see no reason you should retain the rank you had if you leave.  You're under the requirements now, not what existed when you left.  Plenty of people who were with the organization when the rules changed were affected thats the nature of the beast. 

MSG Mac

Why not take the RSC or the equivalent* course and ask for a waiver on TIG citing your previous service as a Major.

* Squadron Officer School or Senior NCO Course
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Alaric on December 03, 2015, 12:19:12 AM
It is what it is, since rank does not indicate responsibility within CAP and only indicates progress within the PD system I see no reason you should retain the rank you had if you leave.  You're under the requirements now, not what existed when you left.  Plenty of people who were with the organization when the rules changed were affected thats the nature of the beast.

True.

When you consider the military side of the rank structure, it is definitely easy to overlook the fact that rank in CAP is more symbolic than reflective of your training to be in that rank (or grade in this case). Yes, there are some barriers, but the insignia you wear doesn't really show your level of responsibility in CAP as duty positions aren't necessarily filled based on seniority or level of training/advancement; they're at Commander discretion in most cases.

Toad1168

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 03, 2015, 01:47:31 AM
Why not take the RSC or the equivalent* course and ask for a waiver on TIG citing your previous service as a Major.

Hadn't thought about that route.
Toad

Nuke52

Quote from: Toad1168 on December 04, 2015, 05:53:21 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on December 03, 2015, 01:47:31 AM

Hadn't thought about that route.

You could always take the easy way:  raise your right hand and get Major via military equivalency...   ;)
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Toad1168

Haha. I don't think a 42yo former cop would fit in. Especially on the age part.
Toad