Main Menu

Rank when rejoining

Started by Flying Pig, October 23, 2015, 10:39:09 AM

Flying Pig

So if/when I decide to rejoin soon with my daughter, do I stay a Captain?  Ive been away from CAP for about 4 years. 

winterg

Initially, you will be a SMOG until your CC approves and submits you to return to previous grade.  When you get your Captain bars back it will be with zero time in grade.  I had to go through it when I moved here to FL after about a 3 year break for college.  The process took about 3 months if I remember.

Stonewall

You have to go back to encampment before you're considered for a commission in The Patrol.  This isn't the Marine Corps, you know.  We do things right around here.
Serving since 1987.

MSG Mac

Quote from: winterg on October 23, 2015, 10:42:41 AM
Initially, you will be a SMOG until your CC approves and submits you to return to previous grade.  When you get your Captain bars back it will be with zero time in grade.  I had to go through it when I moved here to FL after about a 3 year break for college.  The process took about 3 months if I remember.

You also have to meet the "NEW" trading levels for Captain which is completion of Level 3.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

winterg

Not necessarily. I was grandfathered for 1 promotion under the old table when I came back. Maybe he will as well. 

MSG Mac

Quote from: winterg on October 23, 2015, 12:10:37 PM
Not necessarily. I was grandfathered for 1 promotion under the old table when I came back. Maybe he will as well.

3-7. Former Members.  A former member may be reinstated to the same grade held prior to voluntary membership termination, provided he or she qualifies for that grade under current criteria (including applicable professional development criteria).  A recommendation for such reinstatement is neither automatic nor mandatory.  If approved, the appointment will not be retroactive and the date of grade will be the date validated by National Headquarters upon reinstatement.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Flying Pig

Maybe Ill just be a SSgt.   >:D

winterg

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 23, 2015, 12:20:28 PM

3-7. Former Members.  A former member may be reinstated to the same grade held prior to voluntary membership termination, provided he or she qualifies for that grade under current criteria (including applicable professional development criteria).  A recommendation for such reinstatement is neither automatic nor mandatory.  If approved, the appointment will not be retroactive and the date of grade will be the date validated by National Headquarters upon reinstatement.
That doesn't disprove anything I said. My date of grade was my new appointment. But my promotion criteria was the old chart.  This is most likely because it happened about 2 years ago. I do not know how they are handling handling reinstatements now. That's why I qualified it with "not necessarily."

Flying Pig

It would actually be cool being a SMWOG with a 5 row stack of CAP ribbons.  :) I can make up some story.... "yeah... wing conference... huge bar fight.  Punched the National Commander.  Got busted down."  Then ill spit out a huge blob of tobacco spit.

winterg

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 23, 2015, 12:30:24 PM
It would actually be cool being a SMWOG with a 5 row stack of CAP ribbons.  :) I can make up some story.... "yeah... wing conference... huge bar fight.  Punched the National Commander.  Got busted down."
[emoji12] I'd totally back that story if you were in my squadron! Haha

Flying Pig

"Yeah, that guy over there.... dont talk bad about the Corps"

Luis R. Ramos

Winter-

If I recall correctly there was a cutoff date adopted because people were complaining in the order of "I have this much under the old criteria, now I only needed this tiny thingy, this change s_____ me up!"

I received my promo to Captain under the old regs...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

winterg

Flying Pig

I could really care less about what rank I have.   I got my Capt by being the Sq Commander.  I never completed Level III.  If I rejoin, Ill just plug away at it and get whatever I have coming. 

MSG Mac

Quote from: winterg on October 23, 2015, 12:28:05 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on October 23, 2015, 12:20:28 PM

That doesn't disprove anything I said. My date of grade was my new appointment. But my promotion criteria was the old chart.  This is most likely because it happened about 2 years ago. I do not know how they are handling handling reinstatements now. That's why I qualified it with "not necessarily."

The new criteria was put in Aug 2014, so you did get it under the rules in effect at that time. Not grandfathered.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

winterg

TheSkyHornet

It would actually be cool being a SMWOG with a 5 row stack of CAP ribbons.  :) I can make up some story.... "yeah... wing conference... huge bar fight.  Punched the National Commander.  Got busted down."  Then ill spit out a huge blob of tobacco spit.

"Grandpa! Grandpa! Tell us about the time you fought a hundred Nazis with your bare feet!"

Garibaldi

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 23, 2015, 01:39:46 PM

"Grandpa! Grandpa! Tell us about the time you fought a hundred Nazis with your bare feet!"

That happened to me. After a 6 year break, I was still awaiting my Major leaves, and wore my 5 rows of 3 with no grade insignia for several weeks. There were only a few people in the unit who knew me from before and everyone wondered why this...new guy showed up with no rank and lots of bling, including observer wings and S/GTL badge.

I can only imagine the stories that floated around...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Protohuman

They tell me I was at that bar fight but I have no clear recollection. ???

Flying Pig

Quote from: Protohuman on November 28, 2015, 04:17:31 PM
They tell me I was at that bar fight but I have no clear recollection. ???
Was that you I tagged in when the MPs came?  Sorry about leaving you hangin but I had career to think about.  You.. .ehhhh....  you were the dancer so I didn't think youd mind.