Main Menu

24 Hour Pack

Started by skiblandford, July 07, 2009, 03:00:14 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Rodriguez on July 29, 2009, 12:20:37 AM
Generally speaking, a 24-hour pack does not contain a shelter or sleeping equipment.

You could use that logo in your signature for a team tent!   :D

"That Others May Zoom"

Rodriguez

i guess i could but, what i meant was that generally you wouldn't carry around a tent or dedicated shelter, a Pancho is another thing that is a Pancho but also a shelter so your not adding weight to your gear because its something thats already in your pack.
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG

Eclipse

And what I meant was that's its too big...    ::)

As to using a poncho as a shelter - it depends on the poncho.  If you've got a decent military-style deal that's pretty large, yes, it is an option.  If you're carrying around a fiddy-cent clear poly poncho that barely covers your knees, good luck, the ground tarp or plastic is probably of more use.

It is important to have that gear for the rare emergency, but the odds of ever needing a poncho from your 24 hour gear for a real survival situation are pretty slim in most CAP operations.  When it gets dark our people go home or go back to base.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

For about a buck at most home repair centers (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.), you can buy an 8'x 10' or 9' x 12' plastic disposable painters tarp that is in a ~8"x 5"x 1/4"package and weighs about 3-4 ounces. It  fits easily into almost any pack or web pouch, and makes a great emergency shelter that can cover you and your gear and maybe one of your buddies as well.  Throw it away or burn it when you're done; it only cost you a buck, and it sure beats humping around a 2 to 10 lb tent you are unlikely to ever use...

Large (55 Gal) commercial trashcan liners are great too, cut a hole in the top and you have an instant full length poncho, or you can slide your sleeping bag in, prop up the opening and have a nice warm little bivy...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

That's basically what I have, and I found some cool tarp clips to add hooks to it (or any material).

The other downside to using your poncho as a shelter is that you have to take it off to build your tent.  If its raining...well...

"That Others May Zoom"

Airrace

Buy what you can afford and what fits you the best. I like using E-bay for my purchases.

flydoggy

Shop ebay,the only way to shop,and easy on your pocket book
Lt.Albright